Oil Filters

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Michael Bayer

Oil Filters

Post by Michael Bayer »

Is there a better choice among the various brands of filters for the 330? I wonder as they are hung on the Colombo engines "inverted" from the normal installation, if some types, without an internal standpipe might not back drain into the crankcase during extended periods of non operation. If so, that would add to the time without oil pressure to the bearings as the filter cans filled following ignition. Any advice from the stable? Michael Bayer
330GT

Post by 330GT »

The Fram 2804-1 has a standpipe built into the inside, so the oil doesn't drain out of the filters when the engine is off. I've been able to order these at my local Schuck's (Kragen or Checker in some parts of the country) for about $10 each. This filter is a replacement for the 2804 that Ferrari originally specified for the 2 mount 330 engines. Don't use the PH8A filters as they have a lower bursting strength. These have been known to burst and blow oil all over when first starting the engine on a cold day.

Schuck's had a coupon good for 2 filters for $6 this week so I went in to buy filters for my 240Z and van. I was pleasantly surprised to find the PH2815 and PB50 (early 330s and outside plug 250 engines) stocked on the shelf. So ended up I buying what is probably a lifetime (for me) supply for my PF coupe's engine. The 2815 is also a $10 filter, so buying them for $3 each was a good deal.
Yale

Post by Yale »

Though Fram were originally speced on the Ferrari's of this era, those in my Mercedes world do not feel them to be of a high quality of manufacture. Many have recommended Baldwin Filters to me and they seem like good quality. Available from Parts Source and others in the $15 range. Why cheap out on a filter. Best, Yale
horner

Oil Filters

Post by horner »

Francois Sicard uses Baldwin's in my 1966 330 GT, 08325GT. There are two and they are different sized. Sizes: "B50" on LH (driver's) side; "B253" on RH side. I went to the garage to check them. Jack Horner