365 GT 2 + 2 restoration

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

PSk

Post by PSk »

BTW I'm reading those results as 6% indicating a 6% drop thus 94% of the original pressure was NOT lost, as this is very good.

Pete
Michael Bayer

Post by Michael Bayer »

AD: I have been away from this thread a while, as I remember this car had sat a long time before you got it; it is impossible to tell what the real state of one of these old 12s is until you they are well exercised and everything is unstuck. Whatever the numbers are now, they are likely to improve once you have 500 to 750 highway miles on it. My suggestion is to act as though you are breaking in a new motor but over 500 miles. My bet is you will then see a different set of numbers. And Happy Birthday!
klv

Post by klv »

G'day from downunder again!

After some grovelling under the dash and re-reading Tom Kizer's posts more carefully I managed to separate the dash roll from the 365 dash finally...I suffered from an overapplication of glue some 35 odd years ago by someone on the assembly line but we got there in the end. They must have used some pretty good stuff to stay adhered that length of time!

Anyway, having got the dash panel apart and peering in, I noticed that the air vent hose that goes from somewhere towards the front of the car to the underdash fan for the left hand side of the car does not actually reach the fan motor by a couple of inches and there appears to be no 'mount' for the ducting to connect to the fan in any way. I assume there would have been something there originally as there is lots of wiring etc around under there and I assume you wouldn't ideally want the opportunity to channel any rainwater or similar into the underdash area via a fresh air intake... Any ideas what should be there?

Cheers

Andrew Stevens
Kelly La Velle & Andrew Stevens
TOMKIZER

Post by TOMKIZER »

Andrew,
You've got personal emails with photos showing what the ducts connect to and explaining how the AC system is separate. If I've misunderstood, email me and we'll work it out. My car is still apart.
Tom Kizer
So many sidewalk cafés - so little time left.
1969 365 GT 2+2 S/N 12293 (Gone but not forgotten)
1967 230 SL 4-spd (Currently on CPR)
A.D.

Post by A.D. »

Have now decided to proceed as follows:

1.will take compression readings so that we have a baseline for each cylinder.
2.Will then send the carbs to Pierce Manifolds for a rebuild.
3.Will fit them on and synchronise them once back.
4.Will then attempt to drive the car for 600 miles to try and get the valves to "seat" and also to try and get the rings to come unstuck-with a little bit of help from additives etc.This should help somewhat-how much we dont know yet.
5.will then proceed with leakdown test readings and compression numbers again
then lets see....

will keep all of you posted and, as always many thanks for your help

A.D.
A.D.
GT 365 2 + 2
S NR 12171
A.D.

Post by A.D. »

HI GUYS

HAVE DONE A COMPRESSION TEST ON ALL CYLINDERS

HAVE ADDED THIS INFO TO THE LEAKDOWN TEST INFO I HAD POSTED EARLIER, IN CAPS SO AS TO READ MORE EASILY

Cylinder 1st Meter 2nd Meter % Drop Hissing Sound From/COMPRESSION
1 70 66 6% carb COMPRESSION-170 PSI
2 70 62 12% carb COMPRESSION 170 PSI
3 70 00 100% silencer COMPRESSION 115 PSI
4 70 53 25% oil pan COMPRESSION 135 PSI
5 70 51 28% carb, oil pan COMPRESSION 115 PSI
6 70 52 26% oil pan COMPRESSION 170 PSI
7 70 00 100% carb, oil pan COMPRESSION 160 PSI
8 70 66 6% carb, oil pan COMPRESSION 145 PSI
9 70 00 100% silencer, carb, oil pan COMPRESSION 135 PSI
10 70 68 3% oil pan COMPRESSION 160 PSI
11 70 54 23% oil pan COMPRESSION 145 PSI
12 70 46 35% carb, oil pan COMPRESSION 170 PSI

A.WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THESE COMPRESSION NUMBERS?

B.AM NOW PROCEEDING TO DISMANTLE CARBS AND SEND THEM TO PIERCE FOR A REBUILD

ONCE THEY ARE BACK WILL FIT ON, SYNCHRONISE,CHANGE SPARK PLUGS AND WIRES AND THEN DRIVE THE CAR A BIT TO HOPEFULLY TRY AND IMPROVE "SEALING"

WHAT DO YOU THINK?

BEST

A.D.
A.D.
GT 365 2 + 2
S NR 12171
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi A.D.,

The compression numbers look good, but having high leak down percentage (100%) is rare with decent compression numbers. If you could, I would check to see if both valves are actually closed when you do the leak down.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
mark

caruretor

Post by mark »

Hi All:

Slightly off topic, but relevant. I sent my carbs to Pierce manifold for a rebuild. I will spare you the gory details. Suffice it to say that I am looking for (on Mike's recommendation) for a DFI/6 carburetor body.

My #1 carb body has assumed a posture that connot be fully reconciled.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Mark
69 365 gt 2+2, 12659
98 M3, 02 Porsche 996
98 550 Maranello
A.D.

Post by A.D. »

Tom, agree with you completely-with these compression numbers i am sure the valves were not properly closed while doing the leakdown test.Will run it again after i have the carbs back from the rebuild, alongwith compression numbers so that we can measure improvements.

However

Mark-Quite alarmed that you had an issue with your carb rebuild-i have had the carbs removed today and am about to send them off to Pierce for the rebuild.

If something goes wrong with the carb body i dont know what i would do!

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Best

A.D.
A.D.
GT 365 2 + 2
S NR 12171
mark

carb rebuild

Post by mark »

I would not hesitate to send your carbs to Pierce. They have the equipment, parts and knowledge to get the job done.

One of my carbs was bent at the base more so than the others. I knew this going in. The troublesome carb body is now flat at the base, but not perfectly round in the bores. That means that the throttle plates will not seat properly, and most importantly close off the progression holes.

Bad luck, I say!

Mike Pierce says this is common. It happens because over the years vacuum leaks occur at the carb base. The quick and dirty approach to solving this problem is to apply torque to the 4 mounting bolts, which solves the problem temporarily.

The process is repeated until all carbs are bent, all throttle shafts are bent and the over stimulated, under educated mechanic that performed the act is no where to be found.

Ultimately, I have 3 choices. 1. Find a suitable throttle body. 2. Over bore
the throttle bores and have Pierce fabricate an aluminum sleeve and re-drill the progression holes. Or finally, over bore the three carb bodies and fabricate over size throttle plates.

Contact me privately if you would like more specific information.
69 365 gt 2+2, 12659
98 M3, 02 Porsche 996
98 550 Maranello
mark

carbs

Post by mark »

A.D.

I want to let you know what is going on, regarding the carburetor rebuild.
Mike Pierce and I sent out feelers for a used carb body. Mike was more successful than I was. He located just the body, for about $500 USD from a source in England.

The rebuild process is back on track. Hopefully, I will have them this month.

Cheers

Mark
69 365 gt 2+2, 12659
98 M3, 02 Porsche 996
98 550 Maranello
bill308

Post by bill308 »

A.D.

When you get the new carbs in , fit them, balance them, and set the idle mixture.

Ensure your ignition timing is good, advance is smooth, and that all plugs are firing. Change the oil and filter. I'd then recommend you get some miles on the car, maybe 500 or so. Ensure you have good oil pressure and new plugs. Then, give it a good Iatlian tune up. Run the snot out of it for several days. Then do a compression check and leak down test. See where you are.

Bill
mark

dfi rebuild

Post by mark »

o.k.

I am in the process of setting up my carbs. I was on the phone with Mike Pierce this morning, getting some coaching. He informed me that I had to clear the line because someone from India was calling. A.D., you owe me a beer, or at least a chai..

Seriously though. I had some good luck with Mike helping me, patiently, with the fine art of tuning. I am getting seriously close to test drive condition. I will let you know how it works out.

Cheers

Mark
69 365 gt 2+2, 12659
98 M3, 02 Porsche 996
98 550 Maranello
A.D.

Post by A.D. »

Thank you Mark for hanging up the phone-I was calling to let Mike know that i have finally sent the carbs off to him.He should recv them today.

Thank you also for all the info and help all of you have been giving me-i would have been completely lost and it would have been impossible for me to get this car done if it wasnt for you guys-although i have a long road ahead of me yet!

Incedentally, it would be my pleasure to spend an evening with any of you who have been so kindly helping me out if you ever happen to be in this neck of the woods-Not just "chai" but Dinner would be on me-so if any of you are planning to be in Bombay or India do send me an e mail-i will then p.m. my number etc-or you could get it from Tom-he has all the info already.

While i am waiting for the carbs-i do need a new clutch to be put in-should i attempt that now or should i go one step at a time?And if i should go ahead where do i get the clutch from?Will i need just a clutch plate pressure plate and throw out bearing as in most cars or would something else also be required for this car?

Best

A.D.
A.D.
GT 365 2 + 2
S NR 12171
Yale

Post by Yale »

You know A.D. I always found it hard to fathom that you were really in India. I have been there five times and the road trips of 50 miles that took three hours or more to thread through the grain being threshed, the cows and bicycles, people walking, large overloaded trucks and buses all on the fairly roughly paved road made the concept of a Ferrari in India an oxymoron. You know even when the Ambassador cab would get up any speed the uneven paving would bounce us a round like jumping beans on the back seat.

I realize though, in conversations with an Indian neighbor, that I have not been back since my son was born 15 years ago so I would assume it is a lot different now.

Best,

Yale
Ex - 1964 330GT #6097
1963 Abarth Monomille
1970 Porsche 911S
1974 BMW 2002turbo