365 GT 2 + 2 restoration

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

A.D.

Post by A.D. »

Hi Yale,

Typed a long reply to you but lost it before i could post it so here goes again.

Dont know which part of India you had visited-its a big country and like any otther big country there are parts that are more underdeveloped than others.

I live in Bombay- a city of 20 million people.It is a bit like what New York is to the USA-it is the financial and corporate hub.Real estate prices in the 20 metro's/mini metros(the large cities) especially Bombay rival those in New York and London-We have offices in both so am aware of the prices.And like NYC it has a buzz at all hours of the day and night.

In the last fifteen years (probably just after you visited the last time) the economy has been growing at between 5% to 10 %-more specifically in the last two years it has been at 8%-10%.You can imagine what that is doing for infrastructure and consumption, especially for the largest democracy in the world where 600 million persons are below the age of 25.

Consequently,India and Indian corporates are doing extremely well-quite a few have listed on international stock exchanges including the NSE and the LSE and the fortune 500 list contains quite a few Indian companies as well as individuals.

Unfortunately one doesnt get to see grain being threshed etc, as one would drive on the expressway, if for some odd reason one decided not to fly, as most Indian cities are connected by air, quite cheaply i may add, due to the world wide phenomena of low cost airlines.A drive to the nearest city about 100 miles away takes about two hours-largely due to speed limits.(Once i have the 365 GT 2 +2 in perfect condition i will try to better that and submit my report)

Coming back to the subject of Ferrari's-One gets to see quite a few exotic cars on the road-Brand new Italian and German muscle of various brands, and the usual fleets of Maybach Mercs BMW's (merc and BMW now manufacture in India )Rolls Bentley etc-so a classic 365 GT 2 + 2 is really not that big a deal.

Maybe its time for you to make another trip!
:wink:

Best

A.D.
A.D.
GT 365 2 + 2
S NR 12171
Yale

Post by Yale »

Hi A.D.,

Thanks for your response. Just so you are clear I love India and that is why we kept going back. And I loved Bombay/Mumbai. You know NY City only has 8 million peeps so at 20 mill there is a big difference. When I was there I did some work with Warner Bros. Films and the head guy had the snazziest Indian car I had ever seen. It was an Indian GT, but I don't remember the name. And as a daily reader of the NY Times I have heard about the new highway that circles the country and of course am aware of the huge inflo of wealth. Nonetheless, speed and good handling may still take a back seat to an excellent aircon system. Well at least for the next few years until the curvier secondary roads are still chaotic and undulating. No matter, owning a vintage Ferrari in India has the all the hallmarks of legend. Now you have to figure out which God uses a Ferrari as their conveyance.

All the best,

Yale
Ex - 1964 330GT #6097
1963 Abarth Monomille
1970 Porsche 911S
1974 BMW 2002turbo
A.D.

Post by A.D. »

Glad to hear that Yale-one day if you decide to come to India and if the 365 GT 2 + 2 is ready-i could send it to the airport for you(with another car in tow for the luggage)

In the meanwhile can anybody help me with the following query?

While i am waiting for the carbs-i do need a new clutch to be put in-should i attempt that now or should i go one step at a time?

And if i should go ahead where do i get the clutch from?

Will i need just a clutch plate pressure plate and throw out bearing as in most cars or would something else also be required for this car?

Best

A.D.
A.D.
GT 365 2 + 2
S NR 12171
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi A.D.

If you're up to it, now is as good as any time to put in a new clutch. I believe it's pretty much the same as any other car. Replacing the pressure plate and throwout bearing is your call, as Ferrari replacement parts are pretty expensive. Inspect the pieces and see if they look like there is still life left in them, especially the throwout bearing.

The parts are available from the usual suspects in the U.S. Listed in my Suppliers Page. GT Car Parts:
GT Carparts
419 West Lone Cactus Dr.
Phoenix, AZ 85027
(623) 780-2200
Will probably be the cheapest. I would also recommend T Rutlands in GA, and Geof Ohland at Partsource in Maine. Geof may be slightly more expensive, but you will definitely get the right parts; something you should consider when shipping to Bombay!

Good luck!

Tom

P.S. Sorry to hear one of your posts got lost. The forum software has a feature that keeps spammers from posting spam on this forum,a nd one of the problems is it limits our time to post a message. Whenever I post a long message, I copy it to paste it to new message if the software stops the post. Remember, you can hit the "back" button to find the post that was lost.
'63 330 America #5053
tyang

Post by tyang »

Wait a minute!! 365s have independent rear suspensions. How is the transmission attached the the rear axle member? Is it a simple driveshaft? The 365GTC/4s have a torque tube so to remove the transmission, the rear axle needs to be moved back in order to drop the transmission, a royal PITA! I'll have to ask Francois next week when I see him about the 2+2s. More information to come. Anyone else want to lend some insight?

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
sjvalin

Post by sjvalin »

tyang wrote:Wait a minute!! 365s have independent rear suspensions. How is the transmission attached the the rear axle member? Is it a simple driveshaft? The 365GTC/4s have a torque tube so to remove the transmission, the rear axle needs to be moved back in order to drop the transmission, a royal PITA! I'll have to ask Francois next week when I see him about the 2+2s. More information to come. Anyone else want to lend some insight?

Tom
Tom,

365GT2+2's are the same as the C/4. They have a torque tube attached between the transmission and rear axle with the drive shaft inside. It sounds like the same PITA job as the C/4!

-steve
1968 365GT2+2 11649 ; 1971 365GTB/4 14201 ; 1985 308GTS QV 56585
A.D.

Post by A.D. »

Thank you Tom-will wait to hear from you how to proceed

Best

A.D.
A.D.
GT 365 2 + 2
S NR 12171
A.D.

Post by A.D. »

by the way-off topic-want to share with you my experience with a new car that i have bought recently

it is an s65 amg-orignally a s600 mercedes with a v12 engine modified by mercedes's own modification company-amg.modifications are restricted to the engine brakes etc to turn it into a high performance car

consequently the car develops 600 hp and emits a growl otherwise looks like a normal s600-quite awesome!
A.D.
GT 365 2 + 2
S NR 12171
mark

carb/clutch

Post by mark »

Hi A.D.

Well, my time spent in the confessional with Mike Pierce worked out well.
I have my car running great. The mixture screws are about 1.5 turns out just for reference. The results are very promising. The only thing bothering me is that there is a slight hesitation just off idle. I will consult with Mike on this matter and report back.

As far as the clutch goes.... Based on my understanding, you need to remove the "bonnet", then remove the radiator. The top bolts for the bellhousing can only be accessed from the interior of the car. That means that you need to remove the transmission tunnel.

On my car the torque tube at the rear, has slotted holes which allow the differential to slide to the rear of the car. this can be used for extra room fore to aft. At any rate, once you have everything disconnected ,including the engine mounts, you will need to support the transmission from below and slide the engine forward enough to clear the splined shaft. After the engine is removed you will have access to everything.

I recommend that you replace the main rear seal at the crankshaft, if it apppears to be leaking at the same time. I believe it is possible to do all of this with the engine in place and the torque tube moved back, but it is tight quarters. If labor rates are not an issue, just remove the engine.

Hope to see you in Bombay. If not join us in Monterey...

Cheers

Mark
69 365 gt 2+2, 12659
98 M3, 02 Porsche 996
98 550 Maranello
Michael Bayer

Post by Michael Bayer »

AD If you can not find a Queen's shop manual, I believe much of the Queen's rear suspension mirrors the C4's - to that end you might borrow a C4 shop manual, PM me if some or all of my C4 manual would help, M
Michael J. Bayer
330GT s/n 9727
365GTC4 s/n 14943
Dino Spider s/n 1193
Art S.

Post by Art S. »

A.D.

Are there any pictures of this legendary 365?

Regards,

Art S.
1965 330 2+2 series 2 7919
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi A.D.,

Spoke to Francois today. Your car is similar to the GTC/4 in that the rear differential has to move back a bit to make room for the transmission to come out. Francois' word of warning is the transmission is very heavy, so be ready when it comes down. "Eeets a big job!" was what he said.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
klv

Post by klv »

Slightly different area of 365 repairs, but can anyone give us some guidance as to a reliable source from brake pads? Tom Kizer gave us some hints a while back but I can't find the message now. We found some listed in the UK at a supplier, but when they arrived, they turned out to be for a 365GTC/GTS, which are rather hard to come by in Australia. Any ideas where we should try?

Cheers

Andrew Stevens
Kelly La Velle & Andrew Stevens
klv

Post by klv »

To clarify (can't spell this afternoon!), we mainly want front pads, but ideally should replace them all I guess, if they are all available, so we at least have some spares...Cheers Andrew
Kelly La Velle & Andrew Stevens
A.D.

Post by A.D. »

Finally, i can try to help someone in distress out myself.

I ordered brake pads from:

http://www.buybrakes.com/

the name of the brake pads is rotex gold brake pads

front pads-part number D 0083D-one set-usd 36.96

rear pads-part number D 0097 D-one set-usd 30.49

They told me they did not have rear brake pads and could only send me front.

When they arrived-they turned out to be rear brake pads (which i have fitted-no problem) and am still looking for the front pads.

However i am still a rookie at all this- the other guys in this forum are more experienced and will be able to give you beter advice.

Best

A.D. :D
A.D.
GT 365 2 + 2
S NR 12171