The + 2's

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

330 America

Different Horses for Different Riders

Post by 330 America »

I'm new to the site as I just purchased a 330 America this week, but have long admired Ferrari's and have been debating "taking the plunge" for the past 5 years.

FEST has a good point that price is a key factor in choosing a 2+2, but price alone is not the only determinant because we all have to live with our selection decision long after the purchase is made.

Reading the commentary and reflecting on my own situation, I think it really comes down to the reason for buying the Ferrari and how/when it will be driven. For the ultra-wealthy, 2+2's never enter their purchase consideration because they're not unique enough -- and let's face it, bragging rights at the country club are important for these people that's why the F40, F50 and Enzo exist (it sure ain't for the 65mph roads in 98% of the USA).

Then, there's clearly a group of people who are on a tight budget but dearly want a Ferrari and that's why they are forced to only consider a 2+2 or older 3XX series.

Then there's a big group of the rest of us, who could afford to chase a Lusso or other semi-exotic but have to rationalize the expenditure against our other driving options. Like Tom, I really want a Lusso -- but believe they are $150K cars (not $200K cars) and until the "hang over" wears off in the market, I'm going to be patient and wait. However, I love fastback car designs (e.g. Aston Martin DB4/DB5 look) and have 2 kids -- so cruising on the weekend would be nice as a family. I drove a 456M GT and strongly considered it, but it drives like a boat and my E55 feels much quicker/more nimble.

The result? I decided a 250GTE or 330 America offers an incredible experience with a timeless design (Nardi wheel like the Porsche Speedster, etc.) Anyway, sorry for rambling but I think it would be presumptious to lump all 2+2 buyers into the "Porsche 924" group (poor man's attempt to own a Porsche) without considering that some of us actually sought out a 2+2 because of its understated elegance -- and frankly, I've got a better chance at "stumping the valet" with this car than a 360 Modena or 275GTB.

I think Enzo knew this -- hence, a 2+2 continues to be an integral part of Ferrari's product line strategy.
Steve Patti
Ferrari 330 Americ (5061) - SOLD
1988 Porsche 944 Rothmans Turbo Cup (ex-Bill Adam)
1988 Porsche 944 Rothmans Turbo Cup (7UP guest car)
william

Post by william »

Hello 330 America congratulations on the purchase. what is your vin number? is it restored?

William
330 America

330 America purchase

Post by 330 America »

Thanks.

Its chassis 5061 (the car from the Gstaad auction). The car will travel to Rotterdam this week and then on the boat next week to Houston. I should be able to collect the car there and trailer it back to Dallas by mid-January.

Its first going to our Ferrari body shop to see what work needs to be done in terms of prior accident damage, etc. From there, its getting a mechanical "going over" including re-jetting the carb's and setting them up for the lower altitude here in Dallas.

The car will get new tires, etc. and then its going to get the stink driven out of it this Spring until the 100 degree heat hits when it will see more garage time than street time.
Steve Patti
Ferrari 330 Americ (5061) - SOLD
1988 Porsche 944 Rothmans Turbo Cup (ex-Bill Adam)
1988 Porsche 944 Rothmans Turbo Cup (7UP guest car)
donv

Post by donv »

>>For the ultra-wealthy, 2+2's never enter their purchase consideration because they're not unique enough -- and let's face it, bragging rights at the country club are important for these people that's why the F40, F50 and Enzo exist (it sure ain't for the 65mph roads in 98% of the USA). <<

I agree, although I would like to point out that all of these cars when new were priced at the top of the production car price structure (just as the 456M was and the 612 will be), and generally the first owners did qualify as "ultra-wealthy."

Ironic, isn't it?
donv

Post by donv »

Oh, congratulations on your purchase! I'm sure you will have a great time with the car.