4 versus 2 motor mounts

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

PSk

4 versus 2 motor mounts

Post by PSk »

Alignment would be very tricky with 4 motor mounts, and I assume another for the gearbox. I imagine (but do not know) that this is why Ferrari changed to 2 motor and 1 gearbox to make the usual (modern) 3 point mount system, allows for larger inaccuracies, etc.

How do you check the alignment and fit with the 4 (5) mount system?. Do you have to use feeler gauges and pack as required, or are the mounts soft enough to take any miss-alignment. Surely miss-alignment would stress the engine block?

Best
Pete
PSk

Post by PSk »

Sorry this was supposed to be a reply to the thread: motor and transmission mounts

Embarrassed
Pete
Stephanm

Post by Stephanm »

Are you talking about a 275 GTS with a 4 mount engine and open drive-shaft in comparison to a 330 GTS with a 2 mount engine and torque tube?
PSk

Post by PSk »

Stephanm wrote:Are you talking about a 275 GTS with a 4 mount engine and open drive-shaft in comparison to a 330 GTS with a 2 mount engine and torque tube?
I thought that even cars such as the 250GT 2+2 had 4 motor mounts even with the gearbox connected to the rear of the engine. This is the alignment I was talking about.

Ofcourse for a transaxle car 4 mounts would make more sense, but still not be as easy as 3 mounts.
Pete
shill288

Post by shill288 »

I believe the four motor mounts were used to try and keep the whole driveline aligned. Once Ferrari went to the torque tube, they were able to go to a two mount system. Those four motor mount systems with open driveshafts on short nose two cams are a drag. My 4cam, GTC, Daytonas, etc. are soooooo much easier to deal with.

Steve