Help!!!!!!

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

william

Post by william »

Thanks Rudy I may take you up on your offer. I may send you a PM by the end of the week.

Steve, I totaly agree. I wanted to try the delrin just to make sure it is the washers.

Rudy, your right this is a simple application thats what is making it so frustrating!!!!

last night I installed the delrin washers. The top fitting did not leak however the lower fitting started to drip. I then really got on the banjo bolt and it seemed to stop the drip. Started the car, applied brakes and noticed a squrit when the brakes were applied. Once again I really got on the banjo bolt and finally the leak and squirt stopped!!!

After this small victory, (btw, it was 9:00 p.m. by this time) I started the car up and back it out on to the driveway to test the brakes. upon trying to do this i noticed all four wheels were locked up!!!

I checked the MC rod, seemd to have play, but I thought I would loosen the two mounting bolts on the MC to make sure. No luck wheels still locked up! Checked servo bled again, noticed that the upper bleeder zerk was not flowing much brake fluid? The lower zerk let out a lot of pressure, but still did not release the wheels. I then went over to right front wheel and released the brake hose to see if brake line had collapsed. brake fluid ran out and I was then able to move all four wheels? Not sure why this solved the problem.

Backed the car out of the garage, by this time it was 9:30. The brakes seem to work but the pedal is very high so I'll try to adjust the MC rod to get the pedal down.

Not looking foward to replacing washers again.

On a side note, I removed the exhaust as its going to a body shop at the end of the week for some minor work. Talk about loud!! My neighbors had to love me last night.
William
1979 Avanti s/n Rqb-3016
1962 GTE s/n 3447
1960 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Spider 1495*09775
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi William,

Locked brakes usually mean problems with the booster, especially when the rest of your brake system was working before the rebuild. I hope I'm wrong and not the bearer of bad news!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
william

Post by william »

Tom,I was thinking this as well. I sent the MC to white Post last fall for rebuild and the Servo last month to them. I hope I don't reget it. I did call Karp's this week (thanks Yale) they were very helpful on the phone. I hope I dont have to send the the servo off to them, already spent alot of $$, but I wish I would have used them for both MC and Servo.

One other thing I should mention is the MC is leaking. White Post did not replace the copper washers on it either. The big copper washer on the end is leaking. I tried to remove the large nut but was unable to. I thought White Post would have removed it when it was resleeved, guess not. Also leaking around light switch. I'll have find better fitting copper washer for it as well.

I'm so tired of brake fluid.
William
1979 Avanti s/n Rqb-3016
1962 GTE s/n 3447
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

Post by Rudy van Daalen Wetters »

William,

The wheels locked up because on there is a piston that is not releasing thereby holding pressure on the system. You released pressure on the system by opening a bleed valve. At this point, I'd yank both the master cylinder and servo, and get them off to Karp before the car goes to the body shop and save yourself further aggravation. I have been in a similar situation with my Lancia Flaminia GT and sometimes you just have go back to square one and start all over again. Lancia brakes are notorious for being problematic.

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 4001
1966 330 GT s/n 8705
william

Post by william »

Thanks Rudy,

Ouch!!

I'm already about a thousand dollars into this!

Sorry Art, I may send you a PM about the washers.
William
1979 Avanti s/n Rqb-3016
1962 GTE s/n 3447
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

William,

Misery loves company. I had my Maserati waterpump 'rebuilt' three times by a company that 'specializes' in these pumps. Three times it went on the car and it failed, even under no pressure. The company rep even came out to the shop and still again it leaked! I switched gears and had someone I knew and trusted look at it (should have done first place) and it works great now.

Anyway, these are known as "sunk costs".

You are not alone, as I am sure other members can tell you.

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 4001
1966 330 GT s/n 8705
Yale

Post by Yale »

Not me, I have barely spent a dime on my car. Best, Yale
Ex - 1964 330GT #6097
1963 Abarth Monomille
1970 Porsche 911S
1974 BMW 2002turbo
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

That explains getting stuck in the worst part of NYC.

Rudy van Daalen Wetters'
1963 GTE s/n 4001
1966 330 GT s/n 8705
afwrench

Post by afwrench »

[quote="Yale"]Not me, I have barely spent a dime on my car. Best, Yale ] There,s good old Yale with that "special" sense of humor. Mike
72,365gtc4,14681,2007 599 GTB
Art S.

Post by Art S. »

Mike,

Yale's sense of humor is just fine, we just don't get it... ;)

Regards,

Art S.

PS. Yale, don't forget, I broke my funny bone so I have an excuse!
1965 330 2+2 series 2 7919
william

Post by william »

Ok, last night I started the car tried to back it out of the garage and guess what, all wheels locked again!

I then kicked or jabbed my foot on the brake pedal and the wheels released? Now this is what it was doing before I sent the servo off for rebuild.

As stated in my previous post, the cars wheels were locked and when I loosened the right brake hose (checking for a collapsed line) it released the locked wheels.

When this happened Tuesday I also checked the MC and it had play, I even loosened the mounting bolts and released the pressure line to rule out the MC. I'm thinking the problem is still in the Servo!!
William
1979 Avanti s/n Rqb-3016
1962 GTE s/n 3447
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi William,

I still believe your problems lie with the booster. Not that I would have White Post touch it again, but have you called them to see what they have to say?

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Timo

Post by Timo »

William,
I wouldn't necessarily blame the "servo" for Your headaches in this case and especially, since You indicated the problem already existed before.
I'm not familiar with exact brake system in Your car, but if it anything similar to systems found in similar cars of that era and with MC / Booster-assembly as indicated in a picture by Tom, You might look in to couple of other possibilities: At the end of the MC there might be residual check valve that's supposed to hold very slight (1-3 psi) pressure in the system, even with pedal released. This valve might be malfunctioning or assembled wrong.
Also, how old are Your brake hoses ? If they haven't been replaced, let's say, in last 10 years or so, they might be internally "swollen" and therefor acting as oneway valve (i.e. high pressure applied by You with the pedal is enough "flow" through, but the return pressure, being minimal, may not be sufficent to release the wheels). And yes, I've experienced this couple of times, even with a Ferrari (Daytona).
Timo
william

Post by william »

Thanks Timo,

No check valve on the MC that I can see. Anybody know of such a valve? Not sure how old the rubber hoses are, however, I have a tough time believing its the hoses because all four wheels are locked, and the wheels released once I loosened the right front rubber hose at the top (not at the caliper) which tells me the hoses is not collapsed.

Tom, I spoke to White Post today, no real answers said "sound like it could be the servo send it back".
William
1979 Avanti s/n Rqb-3016
1962 GTE s/n 3447
shill288

Post by shill288 »

I use Goldline Brakes in Seattle, Washington for all my brake booster, master cyliner and caliper work, as does restoration shops like Bob Smith. (877) 347-2225. I've never had a problem, so far. We used to use Stainless Steel Brakes for the calipers, but they no longer will rebuild/restore brake calipers for Ferraris.

I was told by several Pebble Beach quality Ferrari restoration shops to never use Whitepost. It was these shops the recommended Goldline Brakes to me.

Steve