FIAAM horn source

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Steve Meltzer

FIAAM horn source

Post by Steve Meltzer »

Anyone have a reasonably priced source for obtaining an FIAAM air horn compressor? I have the phone number to the company, and will call them on Monday. In the meantime, any ideas for a vendor? thanx s
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

Post by Rudy van Daalen Wetters »

How about ebay? I see a number of them and not too expensive.

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 4001
1966 330 GT s/n 8705
David Booth

Post by David Booth »

Only problem is, the modern FIAMM stuff is completely different from the horns and compressors used in our cars. My GTE has FIAMM horns, but the cabriolet has Marchal Stridors - maybe an early owner change-out, who knows? And a ratty Marchal compressor and a single horn bigger than either of the the ones on my car sold for $1,600 on e-bay a couple of weeks ago. Ouch. The proper vintage FIAMM horns and compressors occasionally come up on e-bay motors, but although they won't be as sky-high as the Marchals, they will not be cheap. You could also ask the usual suspects: Tom Shaughnessy, Fred Petroskie..
1960 SII PF cabriolet #2105GT
1963 250GTE #4799GT with 330 America engine #5033GT

"...Luigi follow only the Ferraris.."
matt

Post by matt »

The Fiamm roadmaster set-up is hard to find. Every once in a while they are on e-bay. You may also try t rutlands, they had one a few months ago. Expect to pay 400 dollars or so. Once you get it, you can have the compressor crinkle finished and the horns painted, them purchase the Fiamm disc that goes on top from Parker Hall for 25 dollars, and the red oil top from Mike Dunn for 50 dollars, because they are usually missing or damaged. You may also need new red hose line for 50 cents an inch from Mike Dunn. When you have everything finished you will then need the pretty little Fiamm oil bottle that goes into the tool kit, They cost 400 dollars if you can find an original, however repros may be available, which I think Tom S has. Yes, it's another expensive project. Good luck on your new project.
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

are those units rebuildable? mine sure looks correct, but while the radiator is out, I may just paint a new Hella unit black and call it a day. I'll bet I can find some great wines for the $600 or so I'd have spent on an expensive dirt catcher in the front of the car! thanx so much. s
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
330GT

Post by 330GT »

Steve Meltzer wrote:are those units rebuildable? ...
Sure they are. Most times, the only problem is that the air vanes are rusted in place. It's easy to tell. If the ammeter takes a large jolt to the left but there is no noise, the motor is trying to turn but can't. Just take off the top (three screws), pull the center with the vanes out and clean everything up. Oil and it should be fine.

For more details, look at http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari/AirHorn.htm
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

Hallelujah! that's great. I'll pull it and take it apart, as, luckily, it's the real deal. thanx again. Kerry. s
steve meltzer,
matt

Post by matt »

Caution. Be careful when you open the top not to loose the small ball bearing that rests on the top of the motor spindle. You can get blank wrinkle paint from eastwood. It works pretty good if you get the piece warm.
Art S.

Post by Art S. »

OK, now the magic question, what oil do you use? Does Parker Hall make reproduction oil to go with the reproduction bottle? :D

Regards,

Art S.
1965 330 2+2 series 2 7919
330GT

Post by 330GT »

Art S. wrote:OK, now the magic question, what oil do you use? Does Parker Hall make reproduction oil to go with the reproduction bottle? :D

Regards,

Art S.
My non-OEM oil bottle is in the picture. Tri-Life Pneumatic Oil. Any place selling air tools should stock some brand in a small bottle. As far as that goes, any light weight oil like 3 in 1 would be fine too.
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

I tried the pneumatic oil that Kerry recommended. Works great.

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 4001
1966 330 GT s/n 8705
larryingreenback

Post by larryingreenback »

I was about to buy a new Fiamm compressor several years ago, and when I called Serio Sartor (then with FAF ) he suggested I take the compressor apart and oil it: I did so and has worked well for several years now. He is a treasure of information and now works for Ted Rutland, so I would suggest you call him for details....

Larry Benson, 330 GTC
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

The Fiamm on my Lusso reacts immediately to the horn button. As soon as the button it pressed the horn barks loud and strong.

My PF coupe's horn compressor is by Marchal, but it works the same way as the Fiamm. Except, it has three veins, as opposed to the two of the Fiamm. However, there is a lag in the bark, almost as if the compressor needs time to build up air pressure.

Could the wrong oil cause this or is it because the compressor is a different manufacture? I have opened the top and things look okay. Any similar experiences?

Thanks.

john

PF Coupe
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

Maybe by design, the Marchal compressor is slower and needs a longer period to build up the necessary air pressure. Perhaps purposely so. The French consider a loud horn very rude and an offense. Many French cars come standard with a soft 'city' horn and a louder 'country' horn. Using the 'country' horn in town will get you a ticket. I can appreciate the Fiamm which says "I have arrived, so get out of my way!"

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 4001
1966 330 GT s/n 8705
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Hi Rudy,

I never thought of it that way. You may have a point.

john
PF Coupe