365GTC/4 bent rod questions

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Koll

365GTC/4 bent rod questions

Post by Koll »

Hey Tom,

Glad to hear that your 330 America is purring right along. Grill looks just gorgeous! And the Mustang is operational - nice. What about the Sunbeam? Might you just be in a spot where all cars are fully operational? (Ominous music here)

I was wondering, given how it was so difficult to remove the top of engine stuff, how was removing the pan? For most cars, removing the pan ranks right up there with R&Ring a steering rack on the fun index.

Good on you for finding the cause. I haven't heard of hydrolocking with fuel. Is this relatively rare?
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Koll,

Hydrolocking an engine can happen with leaky floats. If the right combination on elements have to be at play. The intake valve has to be open for the fuel to flow into the cylinder, and then close on the compression stroke.

After the Scarsdale Concours I'm focusing on the Sunbeam, so look out!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
John Se

That story was painful

Post by John Se »

Hopefully it can be repaired without a complete engine out!
Racerrad

Post by Racerrad »

Unfortunately, I had a similar thing happen to me. My 2002 MINI Cooper hydrolocked from water in the #1 cylinder. The damage was catastrophic including a shattered piston broken rod and a fist sized hole in the block. The cause of the water is still somewhat of an question. Officially, MINI does not take responsibility. There is an argument that it could have been a leaking head gasket.

The parts make for interesting bookshelf sculpture!
1963 250 GTE S/N 4221 w/ 330 engine.
bobzdar

Post by bobzdar »

I've had a similar problem in my old trans am, after sitting for a while the float will stick and I get a guyser out of the carb vent (thanks to the high volume fuel pump). A simple way around it is if the car has been sitting, I just fill the carb through the vent (will depend on the carb) and let the gasoline sit in there for 20-30 minutes before starting the car. This allows the fresh gasoline to dissolve whatever varnish is gumming up the needle/seat and allow it to work properly. Luckily, with a mechanical fuel pump it can't hydro lock the engine just trying to start it, but it can still flood it out and ruin the oil. In the case of your ferrari, you may be able to just turn the ignition on for a few seconds and let some fuel into the carbs, then let them sit for half an hour before trying to run the car in hopes that whatever deposits are in the seat dissolve.