trouble refinishing Campy wheels

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Steve Meltzer

trouble refinishing Campy wheels

Post by Steve Meltzer »

My friend and I have spent a lot of time refinishing the slotted Campy wheels on my 330 GTC. They look absolutely awesome, concours if I say so myself. However, when I had the new tires mounted, three of the wheels developed these very ugly paint blisters. Just like a damn zit. Anyhow, I wonder if the air pressure they used to fill the tires passed through the porous mag wheels and ruined our good work. Any thoughts on this? Would a tire sealer be of any value? I'm depressed. thanx steve
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
Jimmyr

Post by Jimmyr »

Steve, were tubes used?
Harmony

Post by Harmony »

Its all in the prep work. Have them sandblasted and powder coated.
Ferrari 550M
bmw 3.0 CSL
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

no, we didn't use inner tubes, if that's what you mean. thanx s
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
tyang

Post by tyang »

My friend and I have spent a lot of time refinishing the slotted Campy wheels on my 330 GTC. They look absolutely awesome, concours if I say so myself. However, when I had the new tires mounted, three of the wheels developed these very ugly paint blisters. Just like a damn zit. Anyhow, I wonder if the air pressure they used to fill the tires passed through the porous mag wheels and ruined our good work. Any thoughts on this? Would a tire sealer be of any value? I'm depressed. thanx steve
Hi Steve,

Sorry to hear about your wheels. An inner tube would certainly isolate the air pressure from the magnesium. They're real porous, and probably get more so with age. The only problem with the latex tire sealers is they ruin the inside of the tire and wheel, and is a PITA to clean up when you take it apart. All that latex can also throw the balance of the tire off.

Did you use a primer coat before you painted the wheels silver? Although I don't know if that would have sealed them well enough, I'd like to know your process so other's don't have the same problems.

Thanks!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

Wonder why the wheels would now lose air, when they didn't before the refinishing? The refinishing was a PITA, and now they're passing gas...jeez! (MY ex would say this is just retribution!)

Here's how I did them.

clean with degreaser

fill holes and nicks with bondo

sand with coarse grit sandpaper fairly soon thereafter

repeat at least once

sand again, 220-240 grit paper and then prime with high particulate primer

sand and repeat ad nauseum

we used 300-400 grit wet sandpaper, filled with one last coat of primer and repeated the last go ‘round before we painted with the 8:2:1mix of enamel paint, reducer and hardner. Paint at about 40 or so PSI.

We got some fisheyes on our first go ‘round, so we rewashed them in “Dawn” dish soap and water, then resanded with 220 grit till they were pretty dull. Then with 340 wet (used soapy water) and washed them thoroughly. Dried them in the sun and re-sprayed them with the same 8:2:1 + 2 drops of the anti-fisheye stuff and a clean air compressor hose.

steve
steve meltzer,
David Booth

Post by David Booth »

Campagnolo is actually a client of mine and I was about to offer to pass your question on to them to see what they had to say. But they actually sold off the wheel portion of the business many years ago and reading the comments in this thread, I think you'll get a lot more useful information here than I could hope to geet out of Campy, Steve.
1960 SII PF cabriolet #2105GT
1963 250GTE #4799GT with 330 America engine #5033GT

"...Luigi follow only the Ferraris.."
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

thanx for thinking of me. I think I'll pull the tires, re-do them and use inner tubes. arggh. I'll keep you posted, it'll be awhile. s
steve meltzer,
airsanford

Post by airsanford »

as I recall, there was a thread here some time back about this problem.

The gist of it was that the inner part of the rim (between the bead seating area) must be painted to seal the wheels.

If these wheels were made in the same manner as Campy's other period offerings, they were made of a magnesium/ aluminum alloy they called "elektron".

After they were originally stripped, they should have been treated with a chemical conversion process called magnadyne and then baked to drive all the moisture out of the metal.

Good luck,

Lee GTE 2811

Beech C-35
mark

wheels

Post by mark »

I used zinc-chromate primer inside and out on the wheels before the finish coat. I think zinc-chromate is now illegal, but there must be a replacement paint?

Anyway, the wheels remain un-blemished and the tires hold air....

Mark
69 365 gt 2+2, 12659
98 M3, 02 Porsche 996
98 550 Maranello
airsanford

Post by airsanford »

Zinc chromate is still available from aircraft supply sources. Don't make a big deal about it, lest the environazis find out and take it away.

www.aircraftspruce.com

Lee, GTE 2811

Beech C-35