Podcast

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

davidoloan

Podcast

Post by davidoloan »

Hi Tom,

Love the Podcast idea. Put it on my ipod and took it with me. Great Story. Looking forward to the next one. Francois maybe?
David,

1992 BMW M5 3.8
1994 Maserati Ghibli
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi David,

Glad you liked it. My apologies for the quality of the recording, I had no choice but to record our conversation in a car during a rain storm.

I have a couple ideas and hope to record them soon. I've been hounding many of you to write me stories about your cars and how you got into Ferraris, and this may be the answer to getting you all to tell me your story!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
tyang

Post by tyang »

I'm trying to get a better idea on this Podcasting, and I want to survey you guys to see what I can do to make it a great feature.

Where do you listen to your Podcasts? In your car? While you surf the Internet?

How long is a good length? The first one I did was about 30 minutes. Was this too long? Did you want more?

Your input is greatly appreciated.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Koll

Post by Koll »

Listen while at computer. Have an iPAQ PDA that can handle them, but I'm just motivated enough to transfer them. With "PODCasts", I always stream and listen to them at once, never saving them. Broadband will do that to you. But, I usually don't listen to PODCasts. They're usually very boring. Writing forces the author to be concise and focus on content whereas I see PODCasts as "all about me". Content is, as it always is, everything. Fortunately, you do not have the systemic problem that most PODCasters suffer from: Lack of compelling content.

I guess a good indicator of the useage would be to try to ascertain how many users have iPods or similar true portable media players and then break them out from the total downloads.

Regarding portable media players: I see them on people jogging, biking, walking and on public transportation. Also, those under 30 are usually the owners. Hardly your typical unreformed gearhead types!

Your question also begs a question... Would the useage effect how you would go about making them?
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Koll,

I guess the way they're listened to would affect how long I would make them. I had a discussion with Yale about whether it was necessary to have companion pictures to go with the podcast, but I feel that most people are doing other things while listening like driving, running, and surfing the net. I also don't think I could provide enough visual information to last 30 minutes!

I agree that many people may not have portable music players, but if you're looking at this website, then your computer can probably play MP3s. I've seen many luddites eventually buy computers and plug into the Internet because the available content was worth them accepting the technology. Maybe a worthwhile Podcast will cause people to get into downloading podcasts! I know I love listening to the "Car Talk" guys whenever I want!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
400iGuy

Post by 400iGuy »

I really enjoyed you're first podcast. If I'm going to listen to one it will be sitting here on my PC. In that case photos that go along with the podcast would be welcome. Looking forward to the next one. Thirty minutes is a bit long.

I see all these folks running, walking, driving, etc. etc. with earbuds stuck in their ears. I can't imagine doing that. I have to be too aware of my surroundings. Even a podcast in the car via the car's sound system I would find too distracting. A little Eagles or AC/DC are ok but focusing on something is too much. Afraid I see driving as a life and death activity (mine and others).

Al
'84 400iA 50605
400iGuy
1984 400iA 50605 Sera Blu/Tan
davidoloan

Post by davidoloan »

I download using iTunes. Half the time I listen through iTunes while using the computer.
Every few days I update my iPod with everything new, and what I have not listened to on the computer I listen to while driving, exercising or while out on my business.

I thought the 30 mins was just about right. If anything I would like it to be longer. Podcasts are sought out by those of us predisposed to be interested in the subject. Most other Podcasts I download are in and around this length.

It would be handy to have your Podcast arrive automatically via iTunes etc. We could listen immediately or transfer to iPod. The iTunes Store would also open you up to a very wide audience. I don't know if there is expense involved in that.

The Podcast brings out peoples character in a much more real way than print and pictures. Even a simple thing like your New York accents gave the conversation a grounding that we would miss in print. Hope it takes off.
David,

1992 BMW M5 3.8
1994 Maserati Ghibli
davidoloan

Post by davidoloan »

tyang wrote: I had a discussion with Yale about whether it was necessary to have companion pictures to go with the podcast, but I feel that most people are doing other things while listening like driving, running, and surfing the net. I also don't think I could provide enough visual information to last 30 minutes!
I don't think a visual is needed for a people based interview / conversation / profile. It's like listening to the Radio.

Occasionally, it would be nice to get some short video clips along the line of those at www.jaylenosgarage.com. I spent about 4 hrs watching his videos once.

In terms of adding value to your website the voice based podcast adds more than short video clips would because the print and pictures format already does a great job of communicating information on the cars.
David,

1992 BMW M5 3.8
1994 Maserati Ghibli