|N ew catagory/worst Ferrari repair you have encountered

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

afwrench

Post by afwrench »

|My new catagory and I nominate my C4 for the poorest excuse for a fix I have seen yet! The other day I noticed that my brakes felt different. I thought I might be having trouble with old flex lines. I looked under the hood to check the master cyl first and saw that the line from the booster to the intake was sucked closed like a soda straw. I pulled it off and when I turned it over saw some writing that I thought was Italian untill I put my specs on. |It said "5/8 inch dishwasher hose" . Im amazed it lasted any lenght of time and I wonder if the PO was charged for parts. Any other tales of "fine " repairs. Mike
72,365gtc4,14681,2007 599 GTB
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Mike,

I believe the correct hose for the vacuum lines should be a black braided cloth hose. I think they use the same thing on Mercedes.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
rpalmer

Post by rpalmer »

And perhaps some of the higher end dishwashers.

-RP
Dr. Ian Levy

Post by Dr. Ian Levy »

Hello Mike
When I took my car apart there were all manner r of "bodges" that I came across including some on the brake caliper mountings. If I learnt anything it was that our affection for our cars is often not shared by some of the guys who work on them.
How much did the hose affect the safety of your car as I remember a hair raising ride with you at the wheel on my visit?
I use braided commercial air brake hose to replace the existing servo hose
Regards
Ian L
1972 365 GTC4 s/n 15989
http://www.ferrari365gtc4.co.uk/
afwrench

Post by afwrench »

Hi Ian, I didnt think our ride was all that "hair raising" . The car still stopped , just felt different. If I get to England one of these days you can scare me. Mike
72,365gtc4,14681,2007 599 GTB
sam231

Post by sam231 »

To carry this thread along, depressing as it seems, when my transmission was taken apart this winter (supposedly"expertly" rebuilt less than 1000 miles ago) the gears had CHISEL marks all over them and my mechanic said the whole mess had been tightened by HAND! Most of of the high pitched whining noise I experienced last year while driving was the movement of the gears back and forth in the transmission case. I was very lucky they did not crumble on a certain trip to the Catskills and back!
'72 365 GTC/4 # 14953; ex-owner 330 GT 2+2 # 8025 :>(
tyang

Post by tyang »

I finally have something recent to add to this thread, although it's not the "worst" repair it brings up many questions:
Here's a repair I found on an oil pan. The normal place for the plug was welded solid, and a new aluminum plate was welded and tapped for a new oil pan drain plug. These pans sit low enough, and often show scrape marks so why would you want something even lower, let alone an oil pan plug that could catch on something and crack off? The welding looks to be very nice, so why didn't they just weld up the original hole and re-tap the threads?

Here's a picture of what it should have looked like:
'63 330 America #5053
Terry Gardiner

Rear radius arm bushes

Post by Terry Gardiner »

Shortly after I got my car, 12 years ago now, it failed its annual inspection (MoT test here in the UK) owing to play in the silentbloc bushes on the radius arms. Not having the confidence at that stage to do the repair I took the car to a well-known Ferrari service and restoration business. A couple of months after its return I had it jacked up and found that there was no nut on the bolt through one of the upper radius arm bushes. Self locking nuts had been used and a nut could not have come off had it been correctly fitted. Not so much a bodged repair as just unbelievable lack of care!

I've since tried to do as much work on the car myself as I can - and this site and the information from all the guys helps a lot.
Terry Gardiner
250GTE - #4681
365BB - #18131
abrent

Post by abrent »

My GTE had a VW 6V electric fuel pump fitted when I got it. The Mechanical pump would not keep up so I had to run the Electric, and that would die about 1.25 hours into any Journey.
I fitted a heat shield, that did not work. It was figured out when in the parts store I gave them the P/n off the old pump ( I knew it was not original) and it crossed to the VW.

With a 12V pump I made it to Monterey and back, no problemo.
Keith Milne

Post by Keith Milne »

A few years ago I was able to contact one of the previous owners of my car - not the person I bought it from. He told me "I never really liked the car that much . . . wait until you see what I did to fix the clutch!"
I'm nervous.
mark

365 gt

Post by mark »

When I was painting my car, I ran across a few issues...

The moisture barrier between the doors and the panels were fashioned from hefty trash bags. The stereo speaker wires were lamp cords.

The best part is that I found old playboy foldouts under the carpeting in the trunk.
69 365 gt 2+2, 12659
98 M3, 02 Porsche 996
98 550 Maranello