Deciphering the "Destination" listing

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

M.Plechaty

Deciphering the "Destination" listing

Post by M.Plechaty »

The destination listing, which apparently is the name of the person/dealer originally placing the order (PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong, because I don't know what the heck any of this means....) for my GTE as listed at www.barchetta.cc/english/ is as follows:

61 - Oeis (Brodusca)

I know the "61" is for the year the order was placed, 1961.

What is "Oeis (Brodusca)"? A Mr. Oeis from Brodusca? Or, a Mr. Oeis from a dealership named Brodusca? I have no clue. Or, maybe I'm just missing the obvious.

Entries for some other 1961 Series I GTE's are as follows (I'm looking for a pattern but...):
61 - Alymar (Stucchi)
61 - Nocentini, I
61 - Ppe Napoleone
61 - Chinetti Motors, USA
61 - Francois Pouchet
61 - Trav TO, I
61 - Lombardi, Roma, I

Any thoughts?
330GT

Post by 330GT »

Hillary Raab's Red book (odd serial numbers), 2nd edition uses the following method for destination:
If the NAME field is capitalized, then the name is for an official dealer. Else, it is the last name of the person ordering the car. The country is coded as an abbreviation (I, DE, B, USA, GB, etc). Sometimes, there is an autoshow specified (Sol Brussels). Where the car went after the show is not mentioned.

So I don't know where Barchetta is getting their information, so I don't know exactly what they mean. However, "Nocentini, I" was a dealer in Italy, along with "Lombardi, Roma, I".

Raab has Oeis (Brodusca) for your car (2553) with no country code. Since it is not capitalized, Oeis is a name. I can't find Brodusca as a town name in Encarta, so I'm also puzzled, but I'll bet it's a very small town in Italy.
kare

Post by kare »

Hi Mike - been a few years since we last had contact!

Many names were copied from hand written lists; in some cases handwriting is very unclear + copies have faded and so there are many "best guesses" among listed names.

After looking at quite a few such lists I dare to suggest that "Brodesca" might as well be "Rhodesia".

Kare
M.Plechaty

Oeis (Brodusca)

Post by M.Plechaty »

Hi Kare,

Good to hear from you again!

From the several replies I have received both on & off this forum, I have concluded you and others are probably correct about "Oeis (Brodusca)" that it was a "best guess" copying of information, and the translation wasn't even close. Having recently viewed other verified documents for my GTE, I can see how difficult translating old original handwritten records from Italy can be, much less documents that have been photocopied several times.

Regards, Mike P.