2007 Tomyang.net East Coast Fall Gathering

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

330GT

Post by 330GT »

The party was quite a success. 5 Ferraris showed up in spite of the horrible weather in the morning. The drive home was quite a bit nicer as the rain had moved through.

However, I doubt that I will be given a ride to the next party. I must be a jinx. Last year, Yale's left front wheel bearing broke on the way home.

This year, I got a ride with ArtS. First, he fouled a spark plug waiting for me in NYC. He changed that at the party but then fouled another while manuevering the car for the group picture. Due to the rain, the interior of the car was quite damp for the drive home. So we were resorting to using the Italian defroster (a towel). Art also had both blower fans on. Those plus the lights and electric fuel pump were more than the alternator could handle. This wasn't apparent until the car died as he was dropping me off. First we thought it might be poor battery connections, but cleaning them didn't help. Since the headlights were still fairly bright, we decided that the battery had just gotten too low to turn the starter.

The street along side of Michael Greenspan's building is somewhat downhill, so we decided that a push start might work. First we did check that there was somewhere to park the car at the bottom if it didn't. There was a nice place right beside a fire hydrant that would suffice, and since we already had pushed in front of one when it died, that didn't much matter.

So we pushed it back across the street far enough to make the turn and then down the hill. It took three pops of the clutch (and 1/2 the block), but it started. I said bye to Art and told him to keep the revs up and not stall it! He can update this, but as far as I know he should have made it home. He did make a bathroom stop at Michael's as he said that he wasn't stopping or turning off the car until he got home.
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
Art S.

Post by Art S. »

Kerry,

You forgot to mention that the turning signals died before the battery did.

Thank you for the send-off (literally)! I made as far as the line to the Lincoln tunnel when, despite trying to keep the revs up, the car burped and died. By the way, while trying to keep the revs up, I was criticized for wasting gasoline!

Anyway, I jumped out and began pushing the car to the side of the road. A rather large passer-by offered assistance and he ended up pushing while I steered. I decided to drop the clutch once more and to my amazement, it fired right up. Taking no chances, I took off waving at the confused good samaritan (Whoever you are - Thank You!).

Resuming my trip I decided that the headlights were drawing too much juice, so I continued with only the parking lights (this was approximately 10:00 pm).

I drove in this manner, using the lights from other people's headlights to see where I was going for about 15 - 20 miles. I would have continued all the way but I had to stop for gas (I added a couple of quarts of oil as well). I expected to need a push, and the station attendants were willing but, fortunately, that battery had gained enough charge to turn the starter.

Since the battery was doing better, I decided to make more use of headlights. Also, as I neared home, the turning signals began to work again!

Anyway, the car is safe at home and happy to have survived Kerry's evil powers... Kerry, I am still more than willing to drive you but, I suggest that next year Michael drives you to the gathering in his America to see if we can validate the Kerry Effect.

Everyone,

Great gathering, I was very happy to meet those I only knew via the internet as well as those I had met previously. I hope that this event continues for many years to come but in the future, I suggest that we add a rain date!

Regards,

Art S.
1965 330 2+2 series 2 7919
testaj

Post by testaj »

Awesome! That would be the word to sum up the party. It was great meeting everyone and putting faces with the names. Tom went above and beyond by letting me drive his prized beauty, an experience I will never forget. If that wasnt enough excitement for one day, getting a ride in the c4 was awesome not to mention the icing on the cake- big thanks to Mitch for taking me out in the 275. That was another experience not to be forgotten. Cant wait until next year.
Michael Bayer

Post by Michael Bayer »

It was a terrific day! Bill Pollard's shop provided the perfect venue for us all and Tom was a great master of ceremonies. This was not the typical gathering: while there were terrific cars to be seen, no one appeared to pay much attention to their interiors or bodies, however their engines and undersides were quite another matter. Much time was spent under the three cars on the lifts with long discussions on the details of individual suspension component or exhaust systems - for all of us it was a graduate course in Ferrari mechanicals led by Tom, Bill and Kerry. Bill's shop holds many wonders - several 12s in various stages of repair, most interesting a 212 with tiny new forged pistons everyone admired. At some point Mike brought out a 12 lead 4 point Ferrari distributor and Bill quickly had it on his old Sun Machine. All that whirring brought a big crowd to learn the intricacies of this part and the grand old Sun Machine. Bill had to spool it up a second time because not every one could catch the first round. Bill also talked us through some of the special tools he has accumulated to work on all the Vintage 12s he specializes and even opened up his personal Ferrari library, impressive enough itself, amazingly personalized by many of the Ferrari icons! Tom gathered a large crowd when he fired up his America and the consensus of everyone was his car is, if possible, even better looking in person. Warren, Art and others got anyone who wanted seat time or drive time, and Art had at least a dozen coaches as he changed a fouled plug in a downpour. Tom, every moment was terrific, great people, great conversation, great food, great day! Count me in for next year. M
Michael J. Bayer
330GT s/n 9727
365GTC4 s/n 14943
Dino Spider s/n 1193
peterp

Post by peterp »

It was great a party and nice to see everyone. Hopefully next year I will be there in the 330.
Peter P
1966 330 2+2 series 2 #8169
tyang

Post by tyang »

Thanks for coming to the party. It was a lot of fun.

It was great to see you on the East Coast Kerry, and I think you're going to finally quiet the beer spilling incident you had at my Monterey Party with the destruction of East Coast 330s when you ride in them! I may have to ban you from my car to keep her safe from your wrath!

Thanks for shuttling the Washington/PA crowd to the party from the south Michael. It was great to see Bryan and Buddy in your company. My only regret was not being able to spend more time with you guys, but we may find a solution to that problem next year! ;-)

It was my pleasure to give you a ride Jay, I only wish it was dry when we went to give you a little more confidence driving my car, but there will always a next time!

I'm glad you made it home saftely Art. You should be proud of that old girl, we drove though some nasty wet weather that probably kept people in modern cars home!

I'm working on a wrap up of the party, but here's the group picture:
About 1/3 of the people had left by the time it cleared enough for this picture, but you were all there in spirit!

Thanks again to everyone who came, and for everyone who missed it, don't miss the next one!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Bryan P

Post by Bryan P »

As usual, it was great to put faces with names (it just occurred to me that I have been to more TY west coast parties than east coast?!?). The trip up from DC was fine even if I did have to threaten to pull over to keep Michael and Buddy from tormenting each other.

I really enjoyed meeting Bill Pollard and thank him again for his hospitality. I have a thing for finding out how people got the F-car vintage V12 bug and who the Ferrari personalities from back in the day were to help get them started. I was very moved to hear about Bill's close affiliation with the late, great Stan Nowak. Bill is passing this Ferrari DNA to the next generation of enthusiasts/custodians and I think that is fantastic.

Glad to hear you got back ok, Art. Has anyone heard from Warren??

And where was Yale? Was he afraid to have Kerry around his car??

If I haven't said it lately, thanks for this site, Tom; you've created a fun, and I think important, community.
1968 365 GT 2+2
s/n 11199
1955 s.II 500 Mondial
s/n 0556(0446)MD
1965 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint Speciale
tyang

Post by tyang »

Glad to hear you got back ok, Art. Has anyone heard from Warren??

And where was Yale? Was he afraid to have Kerry around his car??

If I haven't said it lately, thanks for this site, Tom; you've created a fun, and I think important, community.
Warren and Judy came to my house for Breakfast and were visiting someone across the river in NY state, so probably won't be getting home until tonight.

No, Kerry's powers do not affect people, only cars and beer bottles. Yale was away on business, and tried to have me change the date of the party. If I had listened to him, we may have gotten a clear day!

You're welcome Brian. I selfishly do this site to gain these great friendships and learn about these cars. We're all lucky to have this site!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
josh

Post by josh »

I had a great time- great to meet so many of you. Art- sorry to hear that the car kept acting up on the way home.. glad you made it in the end :)

--Josh
--

1966 Fiat 1500 Cabriolet
1967 Fiat Dino Spider
http://www.hitchhiker.org/fiat/
jsa330

Post by jsa330 »

Once again, I'm hoping for next year.

Art, congrats on making it home safely!
Art S.

Post by Art S. »

Tom,

The picture that Rich took of the rear of your car while in motion is fantastic!

Regards,

Art S.
1965 330 2+2 series 2 7919
Dr. Ian Levy

2007 Tomyang.net East Coast Fall Gathering

Post by Dr. Ian Levy »

Hello Tom
I am pleased but hardly surprised that your meet was a great success.
I know that those who made the trip will have greatly enjoyed the
experience-I know I did last year.
I see that you had some Manchester weather but it certainly did not appear to dampen anyone's enthusiasm, I hope next year you will be luckier & I will do my utmost to attend.
Once again I congratuate you on what you have created online but also for the many real friendships that also resulted from tomyang.net
Reagrds from thhe UK
Ian L
1972 365 GTC4 s/n 15989
http://www.ferrari365gtc4.co.uk/
william

Post by william »

Looks like you guys had great fun.

Sorry I missed it.

See you at Cavallino Tom.
William
1979 Avanti s/n Rqb-3016
1962 GTE s/n 3447
1960 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Spider 1495*09775
sam231

Post by sam231 »

What a GREAT party! I must admit I was worried driving out in torrential showers that the turnout would be meager, but what a surprise. We are a dedicated bunch. Kudos to us all! "Neither rain, nor snow, nor heat, nor gloom of night...." Tom, you have really started something special.

I am sorry I did not get to meet you all, but like everyone I too got involved in several mechanical discussions as well as oogling moments and did not circulate as much as I probably should, but nice to SEE you all anyway. There is always a next time, Washington!?! Anyway, amongst the best parts of the day for me were to drive Tom's hotrod America (a LOT different from the C/4 and my old 330), and to be able to enjoy cars that ranged from an alloy 275 GTB, exceptional OSCA and Alfa among others in Mitch's collection (thank you Mitch), a Maserati Ghibli (Peter will take your bids) and an Isetta (I want one!). The other event I really enjoyed was riding shotgun as others drove my car down the twisties of Route 7. We enjoy our cars for what they are and what they mean to us, but it was a real pleasure to gain insight from owners of other models and experinece their enthusiam. The C/4 thanks you too!

PS Sorry you had such trouble Art, glsd you made oit home.
PPS Who wound up with the floating driving shoes?
'72 365 GTC/4 # 14953; ex-owner 330 GT 2+2 # 8025 :>(
afwrench

Post by afwrench »

Once again a great time. It is so much fun to put faces to names and this year we were all able to so again with some first time attendees. Thanks to Sam for some C4 seat time so as to compare his car to mine. Many thanks to Tom Y of course and to all the folks who come from afar[we did miss our long distance champ Ian Levy] who make these gatherings such a good time . Thanks too to Bill Pollard and his crew for a fine spot to convene.Despite the weather I saw nothing but smiles on faces. Car people are the best and I have met so many truly great folks through this site. Thanks again to all ! Mike
72,365gtc4,14681,2007 599 GTB