2007 Tomyang.net East Coast Fall Gathering

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

jcalhoun

Post by jcalhoun »

Thanks to all for a truly memorable day. I was warmly welcomed into the group, and quickly felt very at ease. Thus emboldened I started asking rookie questions which were all answered enthusiastically and without a trace of condescension.

At one point Bill Pollard was talking to a group of us about some tricky aspects of Ferrari engine building. I was astounded by his willingness to share numerous gems of hard learned tips and tricks. Unfortunately I had neglected to put on a jacket, and that corner of the shop was very cold. In spite of my discomfort I decided it was better to freeze to death than miss a word of what Bill was saying.

The highlight of my day was when Warren Turner came over and pressed a very old and very tiny car key in my hand and said “The heck with the rain, lets go for a ride!”. I had promised myself that I wouldn’t bother people for rides, especially given the weather, but here I was HOLDING THE KEYS to a vintage Ferrari and I hadn’t even asked. Tom is right, I was speechless. My impression of driving this wonderful old car was that I was riding in something that transcended machinery. It snorted, it shook it’s head, and it wailed with carnal delight when Warren insisted I give it some stick. I think she even snuffed a bit at my attempt to suavely blip a downshift as if to say “Not so fast mister, we’ve only just met!”.

I have always considered Ferraris to be hopelessly out of reach. Tom and company have opened my mind to the idea that maybe it’s just a very large stretch. Life is short, great cars make me happy, I’m going for it.

Jeff Calhoun
Future Owner
Chris Coios

Post by Chris Coios »

Many thanks to Tom and Bill Pollard for hosting a most enjoyable event. This was a perfect low-key chance to talk with people about their interests and to look at the various projects in the shop. I always appreciate the opportunity to learn something. Having missed the first east coast gatherings, it was nice to meet everyone in person, as well as refreshing to see the cars exercised in the wet!
whturner

Reporting in:

Post by whturner »

Hi Everyone:

Loved the whole thing, in spite of the rain. We really miss a lot being so far out in the Ferrari wilderness. The only thing that saves it is Tom's site, where we have virtual meetings.

Judy and I got back this pm with no drama - and an 18 wheeler driver tooted his horn at us in appreciation. I will issue a trip report later - just to prove to vintage car (not just Ferrari) owners that they can be driven. And Art: you proved it the hard way. Overkill!

As far as the floating driving shoes - I made no guarantees regarding athlete's foot. I assume you were not referring to how wet they were.

Cheers[/i] and Thanks Tom and all.
Warren and Judy
330 GT Series II sn 10069
tyang

Post by tyang »

The guys at the shop were all pretty happy with the outcome of the party. I've been telling them for the past few months how great you all were, and they saw if for themselves on Saturday. They're already talking about having another one in the Spring!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Michael Bayer

Post by Michael Bayer »

Here may be our theme music! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWUgmIBthrk
Michael J. Bayer
330GT s/n 9727
365GTC4 s/n 14943
Dino Spider s/n 1193
jsa330

Post by jsa330 »

jcalhoun wrote:Thanks to all for a truly memorable day... I have always considered Ferraris to be hopelessly out of reach. Tom and company have opened my mind to the idea that maybe it’s just a very large stretch. Life is short, great cars make me happy, I’m going for it.

Jeff Calhoun
Future Owner
Jeff:

Be careful what you wish for; if you hang around here you will probably get it.

I first signed on here in late '01, after I had noticed from Ebay and other sources that vintage 2+2 Ferraris were once again affordable.

A little over a year and a couple of hundred posts here later, I was the owner of s/n 5409, a great car which was very unfortunately totaled in an accident in May of this year.

So, what am I doing now? Taking my insurance settlement and currently working it through on another 330 purchase.

That was great of Warren to give you a drive...your poetic description is right on the money.

Welcome to the board and the Ferrari hunt.

I'm a long way off and haven't met anyone here personally yet, but hope to make an event before too long.
meltz

Post by meltz »

hi Tom, I am new to your forum having just found it last week. I am in northern CA, and see some posts that you have a West Coast get together? When do you have these, as I would be interested in attending with my 330 GTC. If anyone else knows of other get togethers in northern CA please let me know. I just got my car back on the road after 8 years. DON'T ASK! OK, ask, I was just too lazy, or not in the mood, or no time, etc.... But now I'm motivated and want to drive it again. David Meltzer.
1967 330 GTC
sam231

Post by sam231 »

Welcome David!

Yes, there has been a Tom Yang West Coast Party for the past several years in August during the Pebble Beach Concours week. Never been myself, but have met several of the attendees and they are a great bunch. I am sure they will answer up here and invite you in.

One website you might check for events, besides the regional FCA and FOC sites, is www.ferrarichat.com.

Sam
'72 365 GTC/4 # 14953; ex-owner 330 GT 2+2 # 8025 :>(
Art S.

Post by Art S. »

David,

First of all, congratulations on getting you car back on the road and welcome aboard!

I think the majority of this group is beginning to lean towards informal fun gatherings and fun drives as opposed to the park and shine gatherings.

A number of the members on this site are from northern CA. I would also post in the vintage section or the California section of Ferrarichat, there is additional info there.

Regards,

Art S.
1965 330 2+2 series 2 7919
meltz

Post by meltz »

Thanks for the info, I'll check out Ferrarichat. David Meltzer
1967 330 GTC
whturner

Trip Report 1000 miles in 3 Days

Post by whturner »

Hi Guys:

Overall:
1000 miles covered in 3 days: most at cruising speeds in 5th between 2500 rpm (55 mph speed limit) and 3000-3500 rpm (65 mph speed limit with a bit of cheating). There were a some quick blasts to 7000 rpm (Ferrari maintenance procedure) The car turned in 15.1 mpg, used no more than about 1/2 qt of oil (can't really measure it that close)

Other observations:
Very heavy and persistant rain almost 1/2 the time, at other than highway speeds fogged up in spite of defogging treatment. Wipers marginal even though rebuilt. Parantage must be Italian/Lucas.
After the 1st hour of driving tweaked the carbs a bit richer - the hot weather settings were too lean for the colder weather - it quit spitting at me and smoothed out thereafter.
A 330 is a Q-ship - almost nobody recognizes it as a Ferrari, so on trips one can park it with the rest of the cars and it will get little or no unwanted attention. Very reassuring when using it for travel. I would worry about parking more exotic shapes/designs unattended, even if covered.

All-in-all our cars are exactly what they mean by GT.

Cheers
Warren
330 GT Series II sn 10069
tyang

Post by tyang »

hi Tom, I am new to your forum having just found it last week. I am in northern CA, and see some posts that you have a West Coast get together? When do you have these, as I would be interested in attending with my 330 GTC. If anyone else knows of other get togethers in northern CA please let me know. I just got my car back on the road after 8 years. DON'T ASK! OK, ask, I was just too lazy, or not in the mood, or no time, etc.... But now I'm motivated and want to drive it again. David Meltzer.
Welcome aboard David, and congratulations on getting your car back on the road. As was already said, my West Coast Party is during the Monterey events in August. Here's the information on the last one:
http://www.tomyang.net/cars/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1989
As always, anyone with enthusiasm for old Ferraris is invited!

Hope to see you there next year!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
365gtc/4

Post by 365gtc/4 »

Warren
Quote "7000 rpm (Ferrari maintenance procedure)". In my experience the cars do actually go a lot better when driven like that. You don't have to drive like a maniac but brief spurts to near the red line seems to assist the engine. Certainly my C4 goes better after driving it for some time. Of course the shear fun of driving these old cars with the revs up is also great. Enjoy them while you can.
John
John
Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with Windows.
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

Hello everybody! After a long night stranded in the Atlanta airport, I am finally at home, over my jet lag, have my crashed network back up and am able to log in to say what a great time I had last weekend. It is always good to see everybody in person and just talk cars all day. The shop offered a lot of eye candy, both in the form of cars and in tools and parts that kept us all drooling. These tools were put to good use when we worked on Art’s car.

Bill gave us lessons in maintenance, Nobby told us about the early days of motorcycle racing, Mike M. made us laugh, Michael B. pointed out the subtle nuances of the cars and Kerry corrected our mistakes. As in gatherings before, everybody who brought their cars were very generous in letting us pedestrians experience the joys of Ferrari ownership. Warren, Sam and Peter let me test their cars on the nearby roads, which were “tractionally challenged”, but a lot of fun. Besides, when you are cruising in a Ferrari along a gently turning highway, beside a river with the leaves turning, how bad can it be? And we were not always cruising! In spite of what Warren says, I did hit the redline in his 330 GT 2+2. A neighbor of the shop, Mitch, gave me a ride in his 275 GTB 4 cam and showed me what those cars could do. And of course, you saw the photos of the drive Tom Yang and I took down from Upstate New York in the rain. He truly proved the second rule of Italian driving: “What’s ahead of me doesn’t count either!”

After we got back to Tom’s place, I got the opportunity to take a peek at the international headquarters of TomYang.net.

It was truly a religious experience.

The next day, after breakfast with Warren, Judy and Rich, I got behind the wheel and took a long drive in Tom Yang’s 330 America through the hills of Upstate New York. It was a beautiful, sunny day and the trees were colors that we Californian’s rarely get the chance to see. The topper for the day was cresting a hill at about 80 mph, only to see a state trooper parked along side the bottom of the hill. As I passed him at a closer to legal speed, he pulled out, passed by and pulled over the minivan in front of us! Somewhere during that few seconds of heart stopping terror came the realization that I had left my wallet back at Tom’s house. Thank goodness we were driving the stealth Ferrari!

So thanks to Bill for putting us up at the shop or putting up with us as the case may be. Thanks to Tom for giving us a reason to get together in the first place. And thanks to everybody who makes this site a great place to hang. By the way, if you did not make it this year, make plans to come next year. Even if you do not live nearby, Jet Blue has a cheap comfortable flight to get you there and local members are always willing to offer a bed and a glass of wine. If you don’t believe me, ask Kerry!

The hot rod shop next to Bill’s defined the weekend with a sign that said “It’s never to late to have a happy childhood”. Bravo!
Tom Wilson - Series III 250 GTE, SN 4247 GT
Curator of the 250 GTE Register
http://www.250GTE.com
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Tom,

Well I'm glad to hear an overnight stay in the Atlanta airport didn't dampen your spirit for coming out to the East Coast for the Fall party. As always, it's great to host this thing, and I always look forward to the next one. I'm glad you feel the same way!

Tom Y.
'63 330 America #5053