Laguna Seca/Classiche entry

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

sam231

Post by sam231 »

Now there's a thought....portable garage. Interesting idea Tom, far more so than sitting and eating all day! And Tom Y., working out of Francois garage without a lift, can lead the charge.
'72 365 GTC/4 # 14953; ex-owner 330 GT 2+2 # 8025 :>(
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

I just got an email from the guy who runs the Quail and he says tickets for 2008 will be on sale on January 2. Put it on your calendar! Even if it turns out that you cannot go, it sounds like there will be plenty of buyers for your tickets.
Tom Wilson - Series III 250 GTE, SN 4247 GT
Curator of the 250 GTE Register
http://www.250GTE.com
Michael Bayer

Post by Michael Bayer »

This month's SCM at P 56 has a relevant article on how the 356 Porche Registry community gathers for their "Holidays", in contrast to the PCA gatherings. Shades of us and FCA, worth a read. M
Michael J. Bayer
330GT s/n 9727
365GTC4 s/n 14943
Dino Spider s/n 1193
365gtc/4

Post by 365gtc/4 »

Guys
I am from Melbourne Australia and I have read this thread with great interest and agreement. The exact same situation is repeated here. A few years ago the owners of carb cars got together and started to have Sunday lunch runs where we would drive say 150 miles, have lunch in a nice place, talk cars and drive home. So a round trip of 300 miles. The "rules" were the car must have carbs and be a Ferrari. Now this was run by car enthusiasts and they can invite anyone they like, so there was usually a few other cars as well but always interesting such as a Hispano-Suiza or comp Healey or a Muira etc. There were/are no other rules. No fees, no constitution etc. It is self regulating because if you are not a "car nut" it would be boring as dog sh*t, so the "new car" guys are not interested anyway. The first drives attracted say 5 cars but 3 years later we usually get 20 cars along and when we get the Sydney, Brisbane and Adelaide people along we get over 40 cars. All V12 "up front" cars. Not bad. Note that the Brisbane and Adelaide guys would drive their cars over 2000 miles to attend the long weekend away! Usually we get plenty of Daytonas, GTEs, C4s, a few 275s etc. Most of the guys drive them pretty hard as an old V12 at red line in third is a JOY.
So my advice is just do it. Start with Tom's party and then go from there. Reading this site indicates that there are many like minded people who have the resources and passion to just do it.
So any of you guys who happen to come over to Melbourrne let me know and we can arrange a drive, on the correct side of the road!
Good luck.
John (proud C4 owner)
:) :D
rhb

Post by rhb »

In my mind, Steve hit it right on the head (too bad it is so far to Oz for me!). What he describes is exactly what I envision as a fun group. Hang out, shoot the breeze about cars (especially old ones that interest us) and go for drives together in them!
Robert
Michael Bayer

Post by Michael Bayer »

John 365GTC/4 has made a terrific addition to the thinking here, and photographic evidence of the terrific gatherings they have down under are on the C/4 registry site. M
Michael J. Bayer
330GT s/n 9727
365GTC4 s/n 14943
Dino Spider s/n 1193
rhb

Post by rhb »

Sorry John, I meant you (365gtc/4). I don't know where I got 'Steve' from. I obviously agree with Michael about John's comments. (At least I got Michael's name right).
Robert
365gtc/4

Post by 365gtc/4 »

Guys
Another thing I should mention is that mechanical ability should not be a prerequisite for being passionate about old cars. Some of the guys who have big collections of old cars do not know the first thing about using a screw driver, BUT they LOVE their cars. So our group has evrything from guys who have taken their cars apart to individual nuts and bolts (and put them back together again correctly) to guys who can't change spark plugs. The common thread is a real interest in old cars, NOT "the lifestyle" aspects of Ferrari ownership. There are not too many Ferrari shirts, hats, gloves, watches, jackets, sun glasses, shoes, flags, Scudderia shields etc etc on our drives. Just guys who drive their cars hard. It is great to be following a 4 cam 275 with a comp 275 in the rear view mirror at speed on winding Ferrari friendly roads. Just BRILLIANT. As an aside it seems that these cars go better after a good hard run.
Sermon over, and good luck with organising something. We have a great time over here.
John