The Toyota 2000 GT in the diary photos

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

RallyGTX

The Toyota 2000 GT in the diary photos

Post by RallyGTX »

What ballpark are those things selling for these days?

How hard is it to find one?

TIA
Matt Manspeaker
Seattle, WA USA
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Matt,

I heard they're fetching over $200K! We may have missed the boat on these cars.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Yale

Post by Yale »

You know Tom, Sports Car Market said in an article http://www.sportscarmarket.com/Profiles ... tceterini/ these cars were selling for $150,000 in 2001. So they have been pretty flat in price compared to Ferrari when you could have bought a very nice Lusso, GTC, and quite a few others for that price back then. Yale
Ex - 1964 330GT #6097
1963 Abarth Monomille
1970 Porsche 911S
1974 BMW 2002turbo
xs10shl

Post by xs10shl »

A few have traded hands this year in the $230,000 to $270,000 range. Mine was admittedly very expensive, but it was exactly the condition and color I wanted, and Toyota was paying to ship it from Maine to Monterey, so I jumped on it.

I've been looking for 3 years, so thankfully they are not moving as fast as Ferraris - very little is, really. That's probably partly because very few people outside of Japan know or care about the car, or understand it's history (including some of the SCM write-ups, which are filled with misinformation and factual inaccuracies). Some also tend to poo-poo it because it is a Toyota, but that's not a big surprise.

They are well supported by Maine Line Exotics, which keeps tabs on the whereabouts of the 40 known US-spec cars (out of about 60 originally imported).
Koll

Post by Koll »

Cutting my teeth on Supras, I know a little about the car. Perhaps you could fill in the blanks. What the original motor the first of the M family of motors?

Was the head or any part of the engine build by Yamaha? They had an active role in the head design of the 7M and I hear the 2J. Yamaha also built the beautiful SHO V6 & V8 engines.

Any other intersting engine/car trivia?
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

In the mid 70's, I used to drive from Northern San Diego county to Kerney Mesa to check out the cars at the local dealers' lots (they were more willing to let a 17 year old test drive a car than the snooty local lots). On the way, I always passed a warehouse with a white 2000 GT sitting on blocks behind it. I loved the look of the car, so stopped by to talk to the owner. He was nice enough to let me look at it, but his estimate of its worth of $7,500 put me out of the market. Oh, if I only knew then what I know now! Of course, the appreciation would be irrelevant, as I would hope that I would not sell a car that beautiful, regardless of the price...
Tom Wilson - Series III 250 GTE, SN 4247 GT
Curator of the 250 GTE Register
http://www.250GTE.com
xs10shl

Post by xs10shl »

The block is stock Crown, and is really the only major part of the car that is not custom (funny enough). As to the head, I don't know myself, but I know who does, and I'll find out.

Just as an update - I've started to tackle the cooling issues. The radiator was full of fluid, but when I undid the drain plug, nothing was coming out! I had to shove a screwdriver up through the 40 year old sludge to get the coolant to flow out- there's work to be done here!