Two Funny Stories from Monterey

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

tyang

Two Funny Stories from Monterey

Post by tyang »

Hi All,

I heard two funny things while I was at Monterey that I thought you guys would enjoy.

I was walking with my Ferrari friends through the Lamorghini section at Concorso. We're always amazed how different these enthusiasts are to us Vintage Ferrari owners. The huge "Godfather" decals, along with irrdescent paint jobs really scream out for attention to the marque. One of my mates muttered, "I wonder if we should ask if Lamborghini has a racing program?" My other friend replied, "Lamborghini doesn't have a racing program. They have a Jewlery Program!"

As witty as that was, Ferrari owners have very little to laugh about with this story:

I was speaking to some Ferrari friends, and one of them told me a story about being at a Ferrari show, I believe in Southern California. A super sun tanned couple were walking by the cars when the woman exclaimed, "I didn't know Ferraris made cars. I thought they were a clothing line!"

As dumb as that realization was, it's very telling about what Ferrari has done with their branding.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Michael Bayer

Post by Michael Bayer »

Tom Last year I had a similar experience at Concorso Italiano with a good friend who is a member of this forum. After we walked the Ferrari, Alfa and Fiat sections, we wandered into Lamboland, there to discover the "Lambo girls" seven or eight of them, identically clothed in outfits that together were not enough fabric to cover a Dino's headrest! We spent the rest of the day imagining how other marques would clothe a similar stable...Trabandt or Morgan for starters...
Michael J. Bayer
330GT s/n 9727
365GTC4 s/n 14943
Dino Spider s/n 1193
tyang

Post by tyang »

We spent the rest of the day imagining how other marques would clothe a similar stable...Trabandt or Morgan for starters...
I don't know what style they would wear, but the material would probably be some kind of burlap!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

Post by Rudy van Daalen Wetters »

Renault.....toilet paper.

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 4001
1966 330 GT s/n 8705
Jim

Post by Jim »

Look at the stereotypes who buy new high end lambos, then have them (appropriately described) "Pimped."

I have little in common with them.
'67 330 GTS
s/n 10567
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

The Volvo girl:

PF Coupe
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

And the Morgan girl:

PF Coupe
Art S.

Post by Art S. »

John has an interesting view of Morgan owners :)

Regards,

Art S.
1965 330 2+2 series 2 7919
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Sorry, the discussion tickled my silly bone ;)
PF Coupe
whturner

Post by whturner »

John Vardanian wrote:And the Morgan girl:

No way - Morgans are cool. Especially the Trikes. The first one I saw was at Hershey - Bill Harrah was driving it into the stadium for the show - with a stunning babe at his side.

Cheers
Warren
330 GT Series II sn 10069
365gtc/4

Post by 365gtc/4 »

I presume you guys know that the "Morgan Girl" is Barry Humphries who is a guy and VERY straight. He has been married a few times (maybe 3 or 4) and was associated with many beautiful women in his lifetime. So I hope some of you guys didn't fancy her as you would get a very rude surprise when you took "her" home!!
John
John
Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with Windows.
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

whturner wrote:
John Vardanian wrote:And the Morgan girl:

No way - Morgans are cool. Especially the Trikes. The first one I saw was at Hershey - Bill Harrah was driving it into the stadium for the show - with a stunning babe at his side.

Cheers
Warren
Who can be cooler than Dame Edna?!
PF Coupe
365gtc/4

Post by 365gtc/4 »

So you think Dame Edna is cool ? Well I actually live in Moonee Ponds (yes it is a real place) and there is even an Everage St here, but I have not seen Dame Edna around here. "She" is probably too rich and famous to be seen in her old neighbourhood these days. I have seen "her" and that aweful Sir Les Patterson in a show. Very, very funny. If you get a chance you should see them soon, as Barry Humphries is in his mid 70's now and may not do too many more live shows. He just finished a TV series in the UK which was pretty funny.
John
John
Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with Windows.
abrent

Post by abrent »

come on, no-one lives in Moone Ponds.
Here's a bit of trivia, I used to work in the KFC there. Even met my wife there.

Anyway, a few years ago there was TV show in the US. I can't remember the name, but it was a "boston Legal" type show. Dame edna had a role in this show where he played an actress. I was funny to me, just the fact that Barry Humphries played Dame Edna, who played the character in the show. Even the credits were to Dame Edna, it was as if Barry did not exist. I agree - if you get a chance to see the live show somewhere in New York, or whereever over there you should try and catch it.

Later.
Keith Milne

Post by Keith Milne »

Re: John's view of Morgan owners:
Years ago at a well-known concours event a certain Morgan owner put goldfish in the glass windshield washer bowl. I loved it. People just take these things soooo seriously.