REAR Seatbelts

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Grigio330GT

REAR Seatbelts

Post by Grigio330GT »

Hello Everyone,

There have been quit a few discussions regarding the installation/use of front seat-belts. That's not been a problem - I have some nice period seat-belts installed for both front seats. But I'd like to install some in the rear so I can take my kids places and of course there are no preinstalled threaded holes.

There has been a few installations mentioned by people who have installed them, but no pics. I wonder - didn't all cars sold in the US require seat-belts for all passengers starting in 67? If so, where/how did the factory mount them?

In any case - what is the collective wisdom on mounting seat-belts for the kiddies?

Thanks in advance,

Dave
Dave Michael
330 GT 7895
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Dave,

I've seen rear lap belts mounted with bolts and big fender washers through the sheetmetal in the back of the passenger compartment. I've been thinking about mounting a set of seat belts to anchor my kid's child seat, and would want something a little more secure. I've heard of washers pulling right through the sheet metal! Maybe a backing plate welded to the sheet metal might be a better option.

The belts can route right between the cushion and the back rest.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Koll

Post by Koll »

The Peugeot 505 that had metal bars that anchored both front seats to each other under the car. So it's an option car makers have used in the past. Some common-sense reinforcing sould suffice, I'd figure.
Lowell

Post by Lowell »

I found that the installation of rear set lap belts to greatly added to the
safety of my 330.

When I put lap +shoulder belts on the front, I put the old lap belts on
the back. The left-hand side alreacy had a lap belt, so I replaced it.
In the process, my hand very gently brushed up against the electric
fuel pump. The pump fell to hang close to the muffler. These pumps
are fixed to the frame with a silent block, and the rubber in the
block had become separated from the bolt heads at both end.
So installing back lap belts for me may well have adverted as serious
fire.

I second Tom: Put the bolts thorugh holes drilled in the floor. Use big
bolts. Use a big fender washer under a strong flat washer to try
to distribute the forces in a big are of the thin floor pannel.
Lowell Brown
1966 Gold 330 2+2 Series II
Grigio330GT

But where did you all drill?

Post by Grigio330GT »

I have a general idea of how/where do drill the holes. But I was wondering where specifically did folks put the holes for the rear lap belts. I was thinking that the drive-shaft tunnel for the inside achors, and the "floorpan", next to the wheel arch, for the outside anchors(both hidden by the lower seat cushion) would be good bets.

Whatever I end up doing I'll post some pics.

Thanks

Dave
Dave Michael
330 GT 7895
330GT

Re: But where did you all drill?

Post by 330GT »

Grigio330GT wrote:I have a general idea of how/where do drill the holes. But I was wondering where specifically did folks put the holes for the rear lap belts...
Dave
My car is still on the lift from the leaky radiator hose replacement, so I took some pictures and updated that page in my restoration site:
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari/s ... s.htm#Rear

LH inner mounting
LH outer mount
RH outer mount
Inside mounting locations
Final installation
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
Grigio330GT

Perfect

Post by Grigio330GT »

Hi Kerry -

That's exactly what I was looking for. Very helpful.

Thanks!

Dave
Dave Michael
330 GT 7895
330GT

Post by 330GT »

I just noticed a typo:
LH outer mount picture should be labeled RH inner mount
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
steve lapp

shoulder belts

Post by steve lapp »

Hi Folks:

Some bad news about lap belts. Seat belt research has shown that lap belted children in the back seats of cars suffer about the same rate of injury and fatality as those that are unbelted - if only a lap belt is used. Therefore you must install a shoulder belt to actually protect your children. With only a lap belt they can suffer terrible internal injuries, and lower back and neck injuries as their head hits the back of the front seat, and the lapbelt damages their lower back. Just as in the front of cars, a shoulder belt to prevent the occupant from striking the interior of the car and spreading the load over their torso is critical in reducing injury.

I found I was able to lift up the rear shelf of the car and drill a hole in the back shelf, then install a large washer to hold the shoulder belt. It was a bit difficult to get the nut of the bolt on - not much room to move in there, but possible. It means having two buckles on the inboard belt end at the seat if you use old style belts. Safety for my kids before originality - or don't take them in the car!

Had a fun blast on the weekend, only the gas gauge and overdrive have acted up this summer.

Cheers

Steve
Steve Lapp
Ontario Canada
2013 Nissan Leaf, 2002 Prius, 56 Healey 100-4, 74 BMW 2002, 330 GT 2+2 s/n 6241, 54 Dodge M152 (listed by decreasing fuel economy)
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

Post by Rudy van Daalen Wetters »

Steve,

I have heard the same info as you on those rear lap belts for children. I have seen actual test footage using dummys of children and it is incredible what forces are involved and what becomes of them in a crash test situation with only a lap belt. Yikes. My 330 GT has no rear belts but came with a three point belt for the front occupants. The belt syetem appears almost factory yet I doubt the factory installed these when new.

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 4001
1966 330 GT s/n 8705
tyang

Post by tyang »

Steve brings up some good points. My rear lap belt will be for anchoring my child's safety seat, so it'll be a little safer. With the new laws, she'll be sitting in a child seat for a little while longer!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
steve lapp

back belts

Post by steve lapp »

Hi Again:

If you do have a child seat in the back, make sure it has the top tether strap attached solidly to the rear window shelf, the seat can tip forward even with the belt very tight. Remember that your 40 pound child can exert 2000 lbs in an accident with 50 g's of acceleration!

Tom - I am contemplating a run down for the get together, but won't know if it is possible until near weekend. Not in 330, a little too far - I would be deaf, but smiling!

Cheers
Steve Lapp
Ontario Canada
2013 Nissan Leaf, 2002 Prius, 56 Healey 100-4, 74 BMW 2002, 330 GT 2+2 s/n 6241, 54 Dodge M152 (listed by decreasing fuel economy)
tyang

Post by tyang »

Tom - I am contemplating a run down for the get together, but won't know if it is possible until near weekend. Not in 330, a little too far - I would be deaf, but smiling!
It would be great if you could come. Let me know if you need a place to stay.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

Thinking long term, I know that I will want seat belts in the car when it is done and I am pretty sure that I will have to cut out and replace the floor pans due to rust. As I recall, these pans are double layered. Could one build a piece of steel within the new layered floor to accommodate seat belts?
Tom Wilson - Series III 250 GTE, SN 4247 GT
Curator of the 250 GTE Register
http://www.250GTE.com
Grigio330GT

floor pan

Post by Grigio330GT »

Tom,

The floor pan under the rear seats is single layer. But if you are replacing it, then I am sure you could weld in some sort of reinforced threaded anchors at the appropriate locations.

In any case, I think I will combine what Kerry did with some sort of anchor for a shoulder belt that allows the belt to snake between the rear seat cushion and the leather package shelf cover.

Glad to find that rear seat belts are a popular topic....

Dave
Dave Michael
330 GT 7895