Loud exhaust popping on my GTC

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Steve Meltzer

Loud exhaust popping on my GTC

Post by Steve Meltzer »

For some months now, I've noted a loud and distinctive popping coming from my (??left) exhaust pipe. Occurs under all conditions, as far as I can tell, and not just deceleration. Clearly getting more frequent, but not sure if it's louder. At first I sorta liked it, but now it's very annoying, occuring even at idle. The exhaust is an Ansa, and when I inspected it some months ago, I found no visible evidence of damage. Is this an exhaust/muffler issue or could be the car be running to rich? (I don't think so, but....) thanx so much. steve meltzer
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

Post by Rudy van Daalen Wetters »

Steve,

Have you had a chance to remove the plugs and see what they look like?
How about cylinder compression and a leak down test?

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 4001
1966 330 GT s/n 8705
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

Haven't done that, but pulling the plugs wouldn't be too hard. Are you supposed to do a compression test on a Ferrari with the engine hot? I assume so. thanx s
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

Post by Rudy van Daalen Wetters »

I do both hot and cold just for comparison sake. For hot, run to operating temperature and let it sit for 10 minutes. It's too easy to get burned other wise, which I have done more often than I care to remember. Pull all the plugs, prop the throttle wide open and make sure the battery is good and fully charged for consistant turnover of the motor. Monitor how the needle moves up the scale of the gauge when cranking. I use a tiny dab of anti seize on the threaded end part of the line to make it easier to turn in the spark plug hole.

Good luck,

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 4001
1966 330 GT s/n 8705
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Hi Steve,

An easy test would be to touch the downpipes of the left bank while the engine is idling with a wet rag. If there is noticeably less quenching sound coming from one of the pipes it would indicate diminished spark in that cylinder.

john
PF Coupe
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

thanx for the tip. I've got an IR gun and had heard of this shortcut also, but had forgotten about it. thanx again. steve
steve meltzer,