Is it time to Sell?

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Rudy van Daalen Wetters

Post by Rudy van Daalen Wetters »

The chassis is massive and very rigid contributing to a sturdy ride quality and making long trips easy. There is a feeling of piloting a locomotive with a 'get out of my way' sense, confidence inspiring. The exhaust note from the twin exhaust system brings on a booming roar that is not too loud yet just enough to let you know that you are driving an exotic. Digressing a bit, I failed to mention that the V-8 motor sports four Weber DCNL 5 carbutretors. It is crucial that the Webers are all breathing uniformly and that valve clearances and camshaft timing be spot on. Like our cars, this car needs to be serviced regularly by someone who is qualified. Not many people are that familiar with the technical side of the motor. Often neglected worse than a urinal in a public restroom, many of these cars were driven into the ground and left to rot. Originally purchased by owners who had too much money yet no sense of respect for the car comes to mind.

As I mentioned previously, the Mexico is highly underated and would make a great alternative supercar. With only 250 made, they are a rare breed. Finding one that has not been abused or neglected over the years seems to be the most formidable task at hand.

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 4001
1966 330 GT s/n 8705
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Hi Rudy,

Thank for the nice assessment of the Maser V8. How are the valve clearances adjusted? Is it like a Jaguar XK where the camshafts have to come off the head for shim swap?

john
PF Coupe
Jim Wickstead

Post by Jim Wickstead »

For all the wonderful engineering the Mexico has it lacks, to my eye, a prime ingredient: timeless coachwork. That probably has effected it's value and desirability more than most things. That's one thing that cannot be fixed.

Jim
kare

Post by kare »

Time fixes designs! It pretty much fixed the GTE, so if we wait another 10-15 years why wouldn't it fix the Mexico too? Best wishes, Kare
250 GT 2+2 3197/GT
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

Jim,

The Vignale design of the Mexico was probably already dated when the car came off the assembly line. The bodywork does not have all the sensuous curves of the Ferraris which make them so appealing to view. Like many things in life, outward appearances are judged more highly than the content of their character. I have to say that the Mexico, once you get familiar with it, shows a lot of character and the car really grows on you.

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 4001
1966 330 GT s/n 8705
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

Hi John,

Yes, like the Jaguars, the valve clearances are adjusted using shims. Once those are set you dial in the camshaft timing. With four cams, this is a real science project. Oddly enough, the clearances are set at different values between the two heads per the manual!

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 4001
1966 330 GT s/n 8705
jsa330

Post by jsa330 »

Jim Wickstead wrote:For all the wonderful engineering the Mexico has it lacks, to my eye, a prime ingredient: timeless coachwork. That probably has effected it's value and desirability more than most things. That's one thing that cannot be fixed.

Jim
Agree.

In that era, Ferrari always had it down to the smallest detail, even in designs (4HL 330) that were less than completely successful. Each car was a totally-integrated work in all areas.

That's the reason I'll stick with Ferraris.

IMO, 250 GTE/330 America is a perfectly-styled classic.
DBS

Post by DBS »

Rudy,

Thanks for posting your thoughts.

Agreed the shape is not as timeless as most of the pininfarina designs, but it is a handsome car all the same. I do think it looks better in the flesh too.
Chris

1971 Aston Martin DBS V8
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

Chris,

I see that we share similar tastes in cars as well. I have a 1958 DB 2/4 Mk III Aston Martin. This was my very first classic supercar that I bought in 1982. I literally could not afford the car, but the previous owner was kind enough to let me pay him over a three year period. It still thrills me everytime I drive it. Hail Britania and its motorcars.

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 4001
1966 330 GT s/n 8705
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Hi Rudy,

Your devotion to Aston Martin is admirable. I still wonder how they placed as well as they did in Le Mans with their DB2. The car has all the power of a hampster wheel and all the handling of a Clydesdale--- (nod-nod, wink-wink).

john
PF Coupe
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

Hi John,

My feeling with Aston Martin is that it is such an endurance machine. You can beat it to death and she just keeps going. In my 25 years of ownership, I have never had to do anything to the motor in the Aston outside of normal maintenance. I have no clue what the insides look like except from parts manuals. Still very good compression, great oil pressure, no smoke. I ran it on several week long rallyes including the California Mille hosted by Martin Swig and did very well. Just a juggernaut, that Aston. My thought is that they just outlasted the competition at Le Mans.

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 4001
1966 330 GT s/n 8705
David Booth

Post by David Booth »

I love Kare's point about time fixing automotive designs. So true. I'm afraid, though, that the '74 Jensen-Healey I restored from a burned out, rusted mess years ago for The Spousal Unit may prove to be immune.
1960 SII PF cabriolet #2105GT
1963 250GTE #4799GT with 330 America engine #5033GT

"...Luigi follow only the Ferraris.."
DBS

Post by DBS »

Rudy van Daalen Wetters wrote:Chris,

I see that we share similar tastes in cars as well. I have a 1958 DB 2/4 Mk III Aston Martin. This was my very first classic supercar that I bought in 1982. I literally could not afford the car, but the previous owner was kind enough to let me pay him over a three year period. It still thrills me everytime I drive it. Hail Britania and its motorcars.

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 4001
1966 330 GT s/n 8705
Rudy,

We do indeed, the Mk III is my favourite of the Feltham cars. The one thing that has struck me with Astons, both mine and my father's '68 DB6 Vantage Volante, is the immense strengh of the engine. They just seem like they will go on and on, making them great endurance and long distance rallying cars.

If you ever decide to sell one of your cars and are prepared to offer the same 3 year deal, I'm ready to sign!

Chris
Chris

1971 Aston Martin DBS V8
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Hi Rudy,

You are right about endurance of the Lagonda engine. I had mine for seven years and I remember the oil pressure was zero at idle and about 20 lbs at hi RPM, but it kept going strong. The next owner went to overhaul the motor and his mechanic thought that the engine had never been opened up previously.

john
PF Coupe
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

Chris,

I'll keep you in mind however I'm afraid this car will be a keeper for life!
Too many fond memories to let go of including a wedding transport car.

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 4001
1966 330 Gt s/n 8705