Is it time to Sell?

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

jsa330

Post by jsa330 »

abrent...you mentioned Boxers.

A little off topic, but recently I had a chance at a primo 512BB(carbureted) for a very reasonable price.

I considered it as an investment, to help me make a significant move up the vintage 12 ladder in a year or so.

But it was also an investment that would be very easy to fall in love with, having the potential to bring out the lurking maniac in this normally-sedate middle-aged guy.

I'm talking about 180 in 40 zones, lost drivers license and insurance, jail time, fatal accident.

I declined, it sold to someone else right away, and I'm looking for another 330 2+2...fun even at 45 mph, if not the world's greatest investment.
mikewegener

Post by mikewegener »

This is a very interesting thread. It is about the eternal struggle of Man being tempted by the filthy lucre and his reasoning to go either way.
If the current trend keeps on going Tom's car will be appreciating sharply. Value increase is rarity driven. How many 330s did they make. I think less than Lussos and many other of the accepted "high dollar" cars. People looked a them as a 250GTE with a bigger motor. Now it seems that they come into their own. The biggest temptation to Tom will be the coming further devaluation of the dollar. Many predict an exchange rate of 1 Euro to around $1.80. Even if todays european Ferrari prices would level out this would mean that Tom's car might start knocking on the $400.000 barrier.
Good for him!
tyang

Post by tyang »

Francois came up with another interesting idea. He's been through all this before, and said if I really want a project, he suggests buying a 330 GTC project with the proceeds from the sale of my car. He feels that when the market falls (which is very possible), a GTC will depreciate less than a 330 America.

This advice however, does not mean Francois does not like 330 Americas. He thinks they're great cars, and worth me keeping it, but if he were to look at it from a financial standpoint, he'd put the money in a two seater.

We both agreed to let things ride. If something falls into my lap, I may go for it, but for now, I'm going to enjoy the hell out of this ride!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
DBS

Post by DBS »

Tom,

I think you're doing the right thing keeping the car. You've spent so long working on it, so much time and effort to get it to the standard it is now. I think you would really regret selling it. Now is the time to enjoy driving it.

I like the GTC and think it is good option, I prefer it to the Daytona but they are both wonderful machines. I think we can all agree that there are no dogs in the Ferrari V12 stable!!

But what about looking outside the Ferrari marque? We all love Ferraris but prices are now much higher than when you bought the 330 America. Perhaps the way to go is look for a marque/model that is experiencing a similar 'unloved' factor to the one the 250 gte's had when you bought yours.

That way you can get into an interesting car/project at a reasonable price and, if you pick the right one, values might increase like the 4 seater Ferraris have.

My suggestions would be:

Maserati - 3500, Sebring, early Quattroporte and my favourite the Mexico.
Aston - DBS
Lancia - Flaminia Touring coupe, Flaminia Zagato
Iso - Rivolta

The price to buy one of these as a project would be much, much less than a Ferrari and with your experience you'd have no trouble doing the work.
Chris

1971 Aston Martin DBS V8
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

Post by Rudy van Daalen Wetters »

Chris,

I have both a Lancia Flaminia Touring and a Maserati Mexico. Both are rare and fabulous classics and I enjoy them immensly. Those Masers are so underrated! That V-8 is turbine smooth and has oodles of torque. That car I could drive all day long and want to still keep going. The Lancia is quick amd nimble and a stunner to look at. Lancia was one of the first to use a production V-6. The transmission and differential are one unit located at the rear for better handling. Ingenious cars, those Lancias. Great alternatives to the Ferraris but still nice to have the V-12's as well.

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 4001
1066 330 GT s/n 8705
Yale

Post by Yale »

Hey Rudy,

I always wondered about the Mexico. Can you compare to the 330? Please. In every way you can think of, driving, maintaining, etc. Thank you. Best, Yale
Ex - 1964 330GT #6097
1963 Abarth Monomille
1970 Porsche 911S
1974 BMW 2002turbo
lukek

Post by lukek »

I regret every car I have ever sold.
I regret every girlfriend I ever broke up with.
There was something cool about every job, even bartending....

Keep the car, Tom. Once you get out, you might not be able to get back in (unexpected circumstances, family, work, other priority shifts...)

I have thought about trading my GTE for a more modern Ferrari or a Gallardo. Perhaps I would drive it more often. But I would get creamed on cap gains, and I would have to become a modern car bling guy. I would have to get a whole new wardrobe !

And if the market crashes.....? It is OK, I will still have the V12 noise, the exclusivity, and a rebellion against mass produced mediocrity in my own garage.

I have been restless lately., so I took a motorcycle training course. I am not allowed to ride one on the street, but a few weekends in the parking lot will keep me satiated. I might rent a modern 360 during my next trip to Europe to address the same itch in the car world...
:)
Ex 1963 Ferrari 250 GTE, 99 Modena 360, 11 Maserati QPorte S, 08 merc gl550, 67 Cadillac Coupe DeVille Convertible, 2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, 2006 MV Agusta Brutale S, 1991 Ducati 907i.e.
DBS

Post by DBS »

Rudy van Daalen Wetters wrote:Chris,

I have both a Lancia Flaminia Touring and a Maserati Mexico. Both are rare and fabulous classics and I enjoy them immensly. Those Masers are so underrated! That V-8 is turbine smooth and has oodles of torque. That car I could drive all day long and want to still keep going. The Lancia is quick amd nimble and a stunner to look at. Lancia was one of the first to use a production V-6. The transmission and differential are one unit located at the rear for better handling. Ingenious cars, those Lancias. Great alternatives to the Ferraris but still nice to have the V-12's as well.

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 4001
1066 330 GT s/n 8705
Rudy,

You're a lucky guy! I think the cars you've got complement each other really well. All different in their own way but all special nevertheless. I met a guy in my local supermarket car park recently. He was in a nice original Daytona, I was in the Aston. We got talking about cars and it turns out he had one of the few RHD Lancia Flaminia Zagato as well.

It was strange looking at our cars side by side. Both 71's and in their day genuine rivals. Yet now his car is probably worth 5 times more than mine, although running costs are similar! I like the Daytona and I think they are still relatively good value at the moment but they're out of my range at the moment.

There was a RHD project Mexico for sale here a few years ago but it sold before I had a chance to view it. Wonderful cars and, like Yale, I'd be interested to hear how it comapres with the 330.
Chris

1971 Aston Martin DBS V8
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

Yale and Chris,

I have twice written two long narratives on the Mexico only to have it VANISH when I try to post it. Today is not my day. Will try again tomorrow.

Hope this posts...

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 4001
1966 330 GT s/n 8705
Jim Wickstead

Post by Jim Wickstead »

Tom,

I can attest that a GTC is a fine project. One just needs the time and skill to do the necessary work and get it sorted. The cost of doing this work is probably not much different that a 2+2 or say a SWB. Only the initial buy-in is different. Restoration cost can be estimated before the purchase (reading tea leaves can also help). If you sell an existing car, especially one that has been part of your life, it’s over. Don’t expect to get that car back. Don’t think it will not grate on you for many years to come. However, if you’re wiling to sell now and hold cash (good luck) waiting for the market to settle (probably) and the right car to come along (maybe), all may work out. On the other hand, everyone I know who planned on this in the past now drives something else and moans about the “good old days” when cars were reasonable. Remember inflation?

For myself, I’d look for another project car at reasonable cost which generates passion but can also sit alongside the existing family. There are many interesting cars available. A Bora (French hydraulics and all) is a good buy, and there is the Alfa family. Anything with Zagato coachwork works for me. Will they go up in value? maybe. Will you get your investment back? Probably. In the end, what a nice way to roll the dice. Besides, it's all about love, isn't it?

Jim
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Guys,

Don't worry, I'm keeping my car!

What I should really focus on is how to fit more cars under a roof in my house! A steel building in the back of my property would be great.

I was in college during the 80s, and watched the prices of all the cars I dreamed about escalate out of my reach. I put buying a cool car out of my mind, but continued to save my money. One day after the crash, in '91, I was able to buy my first of four cars once the prices came back down. I sold the 911, but have regretted it ever since. I don't think I want to ever regret selling my 330 America.

A friend of mine used to say "you have to meet opportunity with prepardness!" To me, that means to save my money, and make room for cars that might come along!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Bryan P

Post by Bryan P »

Rudy - whenver I write a longish post on this site, right before I hit "submit", I highlight everything I've written and copy it. If I get the evil "you took too long" message, then I just open a new reply window and paste my previous writing into it.
1968 365 GT 2+2
s/n 11199
1955 s.II 500 Mondial
s/n 0556(0446)MD
1965 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint Speciale
Yale

Post by Yale »

Also if you are writing for longer then about 10 minutes you will not be able to post without going to preview first. As for me, my spelling is so bad that I copy most posts to an email message to spell check...and hence have a copy just in case.

Yale
Ex - 1964 330GT #6097
1963 Abarth Monomille
1970 Porsche 911S
1974 BMW 2002turbo
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

Yale and Chris,

The Maserati Mexico as compared to the 330 is, in my mind, a very different car. As much as I like the Ferraris, they seem more 'delicate' in construction than the Mexico. The first thing you notice on the Mexico is how beautifully it is made. The Mexico was one of the most expensive cars produced in its day and it shows. The interior boasts a thick wood glossy dashboard that houses all the instruments. The wood steering wheel is beefy and supported three brush metal spokes. The leather seats are first rate quality and have intricate stiching that exemplifies fine Italian craftsmanship. The door panels are also beautifully stiched and are surrounded by chrome trim pieces. Most knobs and handles are heavily chromed and to this day, show no signs of wear. Thick padding is used everywhere to insulate the cabin from noise. The trunk floor is carpeted with the sides done in black stiched leather. Fit and finish is excellent throughout. Closing the door on a Mexico is like closing the door to a bank vault, solid and precise. (to be continued...)
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

At the heart of this Maserati cruiser is the 4.9 litre V-8 motor. The motor was born out of Maserati's racing heritage and boasts four (4) overhead camshafts. The remarkable thing is how smooth and balanced this powerplant really is. Almost turbine smooth. The five speed ZF takes advantage of the motor's oodles of torque and is geared quite long (tall). The ZF was a perfect match for this car. When cold it can be quite balky, especially getting into second gear, however once warm, it shifts with a nice precise mechanical notchiness. Mine has over 100,000 miles on it and it still feels very tight. Third and Fifth gear are quite close on the shift pattern and sometimes you end up in fifth easily when you meant third. Power steering was an option for the Mexico and my car does not have it. At low speeds, my steering is quite (very) heavy, but conversly, at high speeds it makes for a very definite and precise feel letting you know exactly where you are at with no wander at all. The vacuum assisted brakes do require more effort than our Ferraris which takes some getting used to. (to be cont'd)