Oil pressure gauge line

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

zdr

Oil pressure gauge line

Post by zdr »

I have a 330GT 2+2, with a leak where the oil pressure gauge line connects to the fitting going into the block. I've gotten the fitting off, and am now debating whether to cut off the end of the hose and try to save it, or replace the entire hose. The hose seems pretty brittle. Any thoughts? Best place to get a replacement hose?

Thanks,
David
AndrewW-G

Post by AndrewW-G »

Hi David,

If the hose is brittle you'd probably be best to replace now, otherwise you may risk the brittle house breaking later......when its not quite as accessible when the cars being driven

Regards

Andrew
zdr

Post by zdr »

Thanks. Makes sense.

Does it matter much where I get one?

David
motob

Post by motob »

T Rutlands, Newco, and maybe Re-originals will have the 6mm brown oil hose. You will also need two new ferrules for the ends of the hose, as the new hose has a larger O.D. than the original hose.
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

The Newco stuff is non standard. They are larger in diameter.

I got mine from GT Car Parts and they worked fine with my car's own fittings.

john
PF Coupe
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hey Motob what are you guys using to seal the ends at Patrick Otis' shop? I'm pretty sure Francois uses the Permatex black goop (can't think of the exact name right now) for the oil lines as well. I know he uses if for the fuel lines and hasn't had any leaks. I went through a bear of time trying to seal my fuel lines and found you have to use the right sealant!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

Post by Rudy van Daalen Wetters »

Hi Tom,

What were you sealing on the fuel lines? I have not heard of having to do this. Where was the leakage?

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 4001
1966 330 Gt s/n 8705
tyang

Post by tyang »

What were you sealing on the fuel lines? I have not heard of having to do this. Where was the leakage?
Hi Rudy,

I had a horrible time sealing the fuel line between the electric pump and filter housing under the car. I eventually gave up and used a regular rubber hose, but later on I found that Francois uses a permatex gasket sealant that seems to work. I believe it's the "Aviation form-a-gasket no. 3 sealant." There is another product that is similar called "Super 300," so I'm not a hundred percent sure. These bottles tend to get the gooey stuff all over the labels, so it's hard to read.

Clamping these $$$ hoses is also another thing you have to be careful. Kerry uses a PVC pipe to hold the hose as the fitting is screwed in place, while Francois has an aluminum block machined to hold the different hose diameters much like a brake line tool.

Lots a little details and tricks to these cars!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

Post by Rudy van Daalen Wetters »

Hi Tom,

I had the same leak in the same location watching it drip on the new Ansa muffler while running. My problem was the the copper sealing washers were so worn they would not seal anymore. Once I replaced those (from Newco), the leak was gone immediately. I now try not to re use any copper washers ever. I assume you had already replaced the copper washers? Or was it from some other place on the hose? There is also a great sealant sold by Wurth (German) called DP 300. It is made under license from Rolls Royce and is especially made for fuel leaks. It is a blue transparent high viscosity gel that works fabulous. I use it when all else fails but fortunately not to often.

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 4001
1966 330 GT s/n 8705
tyang

Post by tyang »

My leak was not from the copper gaskets, but I replaced them every *&%# time I took that hose out! Pollard goes one step further by annealing the washers before installing them. It makes sense, as the stamping process to make the washer work hardens the copper. Francois never reuses copper washers. The washers get a groove from the fittings that doesn't come out no matter how much you heat them. On a critical fitting or a hard to reach place, it's always best to use new washers and anneal them to insure a leak free fit.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Personally, I have had great results with black (NAPA brand) RTV for sealing the oil lines and Permatex aircraft sealant for the fuel line. The latter is a tar like substance that never changes consistency. It stays syrupy all the time. If you get a drop on your flesh you'll have to live it till you naturally exfoliate. Nothing seems to wipe it away.

john
PF Coupe
zdr

Post by zdr »

Is it necessary or recommended to have the fittings replated when replacing the line?
tyang

Post by tyang »

Is it necessary or recommended to have the fittings replated when replacing the line?
This is a matter of cosmetics, but if you don't do it now, you'll have to take everything apart again to do it later, not to mention probably destroy the hose.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053