5-speed 400 project - Fest, where are you...

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Art S.

5-speed 400 project - Fest, where are you...

Post by Art S. »

Since Michael B. asked me to post if I came up with any interesting projects, here is a special with Fest's name all over it!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ferrari- ... 0191194507

Personally, I think the silver one that was driveable was a better starting point but, who knows...

Regards,

Art S.
1965 330 2+2 series 2 7919
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

Post by Rudy van Daalen Wetters »

Complete with original wood spare tire retainer. A rare find indeed.

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 4001
1966 330 GT s/n 8705
jsa330

Post by jsa330 »

That is a very decent project car for someone who can put a 4-cam engine and the rest back together.

As with the recent GTE body, seller's going about it all wrong: starting bid too high.

Good, clean up and running examples are out there for 20's asking, but most of them are automatics.
Art S.

Post by Art S. »

Scott,

There was a running and drivable, but smoking, 5-speed that sold for $11+K last month on ebay.

Also, I'd want to see pictures of ALL of the engine parts before I even bothered going to inspect. Then, I'd still buy a nice one for $15k more.

The problem with these cars is the same as the problem we had with our 330s when we bought them - that is they make no economic sense! I guess that is why I'm starting to really like them...

Regards,

Art S.
1965 330 2+2 series 2 7919
jsa330

Post by jsa330 »

Art,

You know I've decided to go with a 308 this time, but that certainly doesn't rule out adding a V12 project car in the future.

I couldn't handle a rebuild job like the current 400 offering on ebay, but a solid, up and running 365GT4 2+2 or 400 series appeals strongly, esp. since prices are still very reasonable.

To keep both a 2-car Ferrari area and our good daily driver housed in our 2-car garage, I'd need a two-car lift like Dan Reese's, that would hold a low profile rear-engine car on top with room for a 2+2 below.

In order to make a lift like this work, I'd have to go to a new eight-foot garage door, which would work fine since my garage has a 9'-6" ceiling. However, this would require structurally reframing the door opening to go from the seven foot door to an eight-foot one.

So, between the lift and the new door and structural work required to install it, I'd have to spend six or seven grand before I even looked for a project car.

Yep, the less economic sense it makes, the better it sounds. :)
tyang

Post by tyang »

In order to make a lift like this work, I'd have to go to a new eight-foot garage door, which would work fine since my garage has a 9'-6" ceiling. However, this would require structurally reframing the door opening to go from the seven foot door to an eight-foot one.
Mike Meehan did something different by moving the rails to his garage on a diagonal once they cleared the height of the 7 foot door. This allowed him to put a lift in with good clearance from the rails. This might be a better solution than changing your door height.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
jsa330

Post by jsa330 »

tyang wrote:
Mike Meehan did something different by moving the rails to his garage on a diagonal once they cleared the height of the 7 foot door. This allowed him to put a lift in with good clearance from the rails. This might be a better solution than changing your door height.

Tom
Tom, I'm an architect, dammit! I'm the one who's supposed to come up brilliant solutions like that! ;)

Seriously, excellent suggestion, and a big moneysaver!
Peconga

Post by Peconga »

I always shake my head when sellers spend more time describing a car's stereo than the engine. LOL!

And yes, it's a money pit. But a very tempting one...

Cheers,
Peconga

"Been there, done that, and will probably do it again"
tyang

Post by tyang »

Tom, I'm an architect, dammit! I'm the one who's supposed to come up brilliant solutions like that! ;)

Seriously, excellent suggestion, and a big moneysaver!
Don't thank me, thank Mike Meehan for coming up with a great solution. He should be the one to tell you about it, but I think I remember him telling me that when he asked around to see if anyone had done this before, but he couldn't get any advice or confirmation that this would work. I can certainly say it works very well...and he's a Dentist!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
tyang

Post by tyang »

I always shake my head when sellers spend more time describing a car's stereo than the engine. LOL!

And yes, it's a money pit. But a very tempting one...

Cheers,
Peconga
You guys are too brave. That CIS system barely worked when they were new! Forget getting the engine back together, think about the nightmare of getting that fuel injection system up an running again. Call me old fashioned , but I'll stick to carbs!

Tom

P.S. Welcome aboard Peconga.
'63 330 America #5053
jsa330

Post by jsa330 »

tyang wrote: Don't thank me, thank Mike Meehan for coming up with a great solution. He should be the one to tell you about it, but I think I remember him telling me that when he asked around to see if anyone had done this before, but he couldn't get any advice or confirmation that this would work. I can certainly say it works very well...and he's a Dentist!

Tom
Tom, I'd like to PM Mike and request some shots of his install. I searched the member list but couldn't find his name...suggestions?

Thanks, Scott
tyang

Post by tyang »

Tom, I'd like to PM Mike and request some shots of his install. I searched the member list but couldn't find his name...suggestions?

Thanks, Scott
Mike goes by the name afwrench.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Michael Bayer

Post by Michael Bayer »

jsa330: When I installed my lift I solved the door problem with a commercial roll up metal door, with the housing inside the garage. I does look a little comercial( but its in a Georgetown alley so no one cares). I really like it, its far tighter, more secure and trouble free that the folding wood models.
Michael J. Bayer
330GT s/n 9727
365GTC4 s/n 14943
Dino Spider s/n 1193
jsa330

Post by jsa330 »

tyang wrote:
Mike goes by the name afwrench. Tom
thanks, Tom
Michael Bayer wrote:jsa330: When I installed my lift I solved the door problem with a commercial roll up metal door, with the housing inside the garage. I does look a little comercial( but its in a Georgetown alley so no one cares). I really like it, its far tighter, more secure and trouble free that the folding wood models.
Michael,

My house is trad-style and is more aesthetically suited to the conventional steel foam-insulated sectional type door with fake-timberwork wood applique.

However, the garage opens on the alley and no one would care about the type of door you describe... excellent from a security standpoint as well, and probably no more expensive than having the struct mods done for an 8' conventional door....thanks for the suggestion.

Scott
fest

$cary

Post by fest »

yup I seen that one on eBay
(my friend who scored the Mondial sent me the link)

I had to chuckle at that one-
needs 'only' engine re-assembled
I guess we can just re-use all the old parts, huh

one has to wonder why it was taken apart in the first place?
I seem to remember that car the last time it eBayed
(flood victim maybe?, or a blown head gasket?)
at any rate it being that far apart probably best to re-build completely
and as we all know on a 400 that is just plain a losing proposition

looks like it was time for a 'reality' slap for the latest owner
they have found out the hard way
there truly is NO such thing as a 'cheap' Ferrari

that said, I WAS pretty tempted on this one
as my old car was sold locally
and is (still!) being re-assembled at a nearby shop
(I have given them some guidance as to how it all goes back together)
now that they are 'old hands' at 400i reassembly
this one should be a piece of cake for them
(provided I maintain a steady influx of CASH)

now that I am an 'old hand' on 400i projects
I have learned the hard lesson that it is much wiser
to 'pony up' the $$$ for a 'nice' one and enjoy it
(e.g. the one that Sweeney has for sale recently)
than it is to buy a project that will put you into bankruptcy
and might never get to enjoy driving anyway

AKB