Daytona seats: need source for black plastic strips

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

jwilms

Daytona seats: need source for black plastic strips

Post by jwilms »

My 1975 365 BB has beige Daytona seats with black , perforated stripes and ventilation holes. These stripes are made of a plastic material. Does anyone know where I can source this material? I appreciate any input!
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Jwilmes,

Welcome the the forum.

Of all the Daytona seats I've seen, these strips were sewn in with the beige leather, if this is what you're talking about.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
jwilms

Post by jwilms »

Tom,

thank you very much for the welcome. I am more experienced with other Italian sports cars and am just beginning to feel my way into the Ferrari world.

I have pictures of my seats. Unfortunately I don't have a possibility to post them on the web and link to the forum. Any idea how to get around this? Any suggestions where I could post them or who to send them to for posting?

The stripes are definitely plastic and seem to be glued on top of the leather. I have heard that most restorers replace these strips with leather items - which does not seem to be correct but seems to be due to the scarecety of the material.

Anyone else who has such seats?
tyang

Post by tyang »

There is a post at the top of this forum that is titled:
"Posting pictures to this forum."
You can also click the following link:
http://www.tomyang.net/cars/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1685

There are several Daytona owners on this site. Perhaps they can help you.

Good luck.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
AndrewW-G

Post by AndrewW-G »

Hi Jwilms,

The perforated strips were as Tom's already said actually aprt of the seat rather than stuck on.

If you have a look at http://www.coachtrimmers.com/ you'll see some decent pics of a concours 365gts/4 interior
jwilms

Post by jwilms »

Thank you for the response. It makes me wonder whether there is a difference between the seats of a "real" Daytona and my BB - or do I simply have non-original seats?

On the following pictures it is evident that the stitches are fake and part of the plastic strip and - around the large holes - the beige leather shines through underneath (my first attempt to post pictures, hope this works):

tyang

Post by tyang »

Hmm, can't see the photos. I checked the links to the images you provided and they are not on Photobucket. If you send me the locations of your photos on photobucket, I can see what's wrong.

tom@tomyang.net

It sounds like your seats were "Daytonaized"

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
AndrewW-G

Post by AndrewW-G »

Hi folks, I saw one of the pictures last night.....

in JW's 365BB seats the black strips that in a daytona would be perforated with a ring for ventilaton are a seperate strip of leather / pleather / vynl that's sewn onto the standard seats to make it look like Daytona seats and merely embosed with the outline of a ring rather than being perforated

JW I'd suggest you may want to speak to your trimmer as they should be able to recreate the look using leather or vynl, if they cant then you may want to ask somebody who does custom leather seats for motorbikes
tyang

Post by tyang »

O.K. I fixed the pictures on the post.

Like Andrew said, this is the work of someone trying to copy the look of the Daytona seats.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Stephanm

Post by Stephanm »

There are a few different styles of "inserts" for daytona style seats. Some have vent holes with little screens, some inserts are textured with tiny cross-hatching and various other minute differences.

Re-originals sells a seat cover that is labeled as having been made from the original dyes but I have heard that they are not totally correct. Ferrari Classiche says that they are correct but Ferrari did not build the cars or the interiors so who cares!!
Anyhow, there is a man in CA who spent a considerable amount of time making perfect repros and sells them for short money. I cannot disclose his name because I am not sure he wants to sell them any longer. I will call him and see what the status is.
shill288

Post by shill288 »

Daytona strips are vinyl, not leather, and with a cross hatch pattern different than the posted picture and the holes are punched through. If you need them, Mike Regalia has the best I've seen (closest to the real thing).

If Tom says he has some, I'm sure he's got the right ones for you.

Steve
Yale

Post by Yale »

From Ferrarichat:

"If you would like to replace the straps, you should talk to Henk van Lith from "H.V.L Exclusive Italian Interiors" in Holland. ( www.carinteriors.nl )
He owns the only original Ferrari-tool to reproduce these straps."
Ex - 1964 330GT #6097
1963 Abarth Monomille
1970 Porsche 911S
1974 BMW 2002turbo