VINTAGE RALLIES or Similar Experiences

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

TOMKIZER

VINTAGE RALLIES or Similar Experiences

Post by TOMKIZER »

Has anyone here participated in any of the Vintage Rallies organized by Rich and Jean Taylor - like the New England 1000, the Mountain Mille, or the Texas 1000? They sound like a once-in-a-lifetime vacation. If anyone has experience, please comment. Please feel free to discuss other similar events.
Tom Kizer
So many sidewalk cafés - so little time left.
1969 365 GT 2+2 S/N 12293 (Gone but not forgotten)
1967 230 SL 4-spd (Currently on CPR)
volkster999

Post by volkster999 »

I have not, but Don Kline participated in the Texas 1000 and had a great time. Don wrote about it in Autoweek. I also talked to Don and he really did enjoy it, it was well run.
sam231

Post by sam231 »

Tom,

I have not done any of their rallies although I am on their mailing list. I hope to do both the New England and Appalachian Mountains rallies down the road. I have friends who have done them and said they are wonderful. One couple went on last year's New England in their Boss 302 and had a ball, although the car had a racing set-up (lowered suspension, stiffer shocks, etc.) so they suffered through some stretches of bumpy pavement. They said they would do it again, but with a different car! Every detail is taken care of, all you have to do is drive and enjoy the camraderie. RPM travels along as mechanics if your car breaks down, and you get to use a new Porsche if your car cannot be fixed. Expensive yes, but most of the money goes to charity and I am told the scenery is awesome and roads are spectacular...and most important, empty.

Sam
'72 365 GTC/4 # 14953; ex-owner 330 GT 2+2 # 8025 :>(
TOMKIZER

Post by TOMKIZER »

I too am on their mailing list but have never done anything more than dream. I found them expensive also but after checking the hotel web sites, I found that without the wine, food, side trips, organization, mechanics and other features, the hotel rooms alone were almost half the price of the event. I've got mixed feelings. It's a big risk to spend so much for a week with "strangers", but I suppose the risk is no worse than taking a cruise ship for a week. My 365 GT 2+2 is like new, so reliability should not be a problem. I'm only 3 1/2 hours from the start and end of the New England 1000, so I'm really, really tempted. I would rather do the Mountain Mille, but it's a lot farther away. Thanks for the responses so far.
Tom
Stephanm

Post by Stephanm »

My shop provides the mechanical support on the rallies so I get to see the event from a different perspective than the participant.
From what I gather, there are a number of like-minded, passionate business men and car guys having a blast. You will no doubt enjoy the participants and link up with some people that will get to know very well. The events are beautifully "choreographed" but sometimes I think that there is too much driving per day.

Evening drinking and dining is a huge part of the event. The NE 1000 and Mountain Mille are MUCH more formal than the TX1000, Tuxedo versus Jean jacket.

David Adolphus from Hemmings Sports and Exotic is going to ride with me in the 2008 NE-1000 for a magazine article to be published, should be telling!!!
TOMKIZER

Post by TOMKIZER »

I'm still trying to: 1) work up the courage to participate in one of the trips, and 2) figure out how to convince my wife (who doesn't particularly like noisy, smelly, rough-riding old cars) to participate.

I like the dining / drinking / tuxedo idea. The NE 1000 is a little too soon. I'll likely learn a lot about what it's like to spend a week with my 365 GT 2+2 by driving from Québec City to the FCA 2008 meet in Toronto this summer. If that trip goes well, maybe I'll chance the longer trip to the Mountain Mille in the fall.

Do the NE 1000 and Mountain Mille events consist of mostly couples?

Tom Kizer