FCA 2008 ANNUAL MEET

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

TOMKIZER

Post by TOMKIZER »

Thanks, Tom, for posting Jim's message. And thanks, Jim, for the info about the judging.

Because this will be my first time, I'll stay with my decision to stay at the Hilton. I've made a lot of trips even to other countries, on my own, and usually find when I get home, that I missed something important only a few miles or blocks away. This time, in order not to miss anything, I'll stay in the "headquarters" hotel and try to stay "connected".

The special FCA hotel rates include a suite so I'll have plenty of room if we need a place to tell restoration war stories over a few glasses of Italian wine.

I expect that the trip will be very educational and enjoyable.

I know that Mark and Tom were planning to detail Mark's car themselves but lucked into a local detailer in Florida. Do most of the people who drive to these events redetail their own cars after arrival or do they search out local detailers before the trip?

Thanks again for the info.

Tom Kizer
So many sidewalk cafés - so little time left.
1969 365 GT 2+2 S/N 12293 (Gone but not forgotten)
1967 230 SL 4-spd (Currently on CPR)
afwrench

Post by afwrench »

I had been giving stong thought to going to Toronto for the Thursday show with my car and family in tow. We would then head west to visit some relatives in Port Dover, Ont. I spoke with the Ontario registrar and was informed that unlike last year you must purchase the $475.00 pack to enter the Concours. This is also stated in the registration form in BOLD type . As there is no public access to the event ,unlike at Corning I would also have to buy a $175.00 pack for each of the 4 remaining family members. So $700.00 + my $475.00 to enter and see the show is forcing me out. I know we all spend crazy amounts on our cars at times but Ill put that$1175.00 towards some parts. I just think FCA is shooting themselves in the foot. Offer some kind of family rate that does not choke the horse. Chime in, am I being a cheapskate? Mike
72,365gtc4,14681,2007 599 GTB
tyang

Post by tyang »

I had been giving stong thought to going to Toronto for the Thursday show with my car and family in tow. We would then head west to visit some relatives in Port Dover, Ont. I spoke with the Ontario registrar and was informed that unlike last year you must purchase the $475.00 pack to enter the Concours. This is also stated in the registration form in BOLD type . As there is no public access to the event ,unlike at Corning I would also have to buy a $175.00 pack for each of the 4 remaining family members. So $700.00 + my $475.00 to enter and see the show is forcing me out. I know we all spend crazy amounts on our cars at times but Ill put that$1175.00 towards some parts. I just think FCA is shooting themselves in the foot. Offer some kind of family rate that does not choke the horse. Chime in, am I being a cheapskate? Mike
Hi Mike,

I would have to agree with you. What if all you want to do a couple of the events? I don't have a problem spending money as long as you get the value for your money. What are we getting for our entry? I did not stay for all the events last year, but I heard at least one of the dinners being a disaster, with a long buffet line with poor food. Hope this isn't the same with Toronto.

On a side note, I am working with Richard Garr in MD on hosting a Spring get together at his shop in May. These tomyang.net parties may be our answer to these events that charge a lot of money, offer no repsect for 2+2 cars, and leave us nothing but NFOs to talk to at the events. Stay tuned!

Tom

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

Post by Rudy van Daalen Wetters »

Hi Mike,

Not a cheapskate by any means.....more like a rational decision not to be ripped off. Monterey is great but is becoming a ripoff. Between the Quail, Italiano, Pebble Beach Auctions and the races, it is getting prohibitively expensive. What really irks me is that the hotel rates go up just for that weekend. Like you suggest, add it all up and it makes for some serious Ferrari parts that will last longer than three days! Unless I get a pass to Pebble Beach, I won't be going there. I'd like to be on the receiving end of a charity case for once in a lifetime.

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 4001
1966 330 GT s/n 8705
TOMKIZER

Post by TOMKIZER »

I too, found it expensive, but decided to splurge for once. I wouldn't be able to do it often, even if it's worth it, which I'll find out in July. I like the idea of using this excellent communication system to organize private events organized around the cars. Informal shows, parties, even rallies? If some two or three day activities were organized (mini vacations), it would justify driving a few hundred miles to attend. How difficult can it be to organize a three or four day rally with good (maybe not 5-star) hotels, restaurants and beautiful scenery?
Tom K.
So many sidewalk cafés - so little time left.
1969 365 GT 2+2 S/N 12293 (Gone but not forgotten)
1967 230 SL 4-spd (Currently on CPR)
afwrench

Post by afwrench »

I just feel that organizations like FCA are not looking to the future. I know that there will always be "new money" around that wants to buy into the Ferrari mystique ,but as I approach fossil status I wonder who will I pass my cars ,like the Packard,and Ferrari to? All my tools and testing gear is for old stuff and while my kids like the cars they dont have the interest in mechanical things I do. For those who have been to my place I think it is fair to say that we would have died to play with my stuff as a kid . At Corning the local folks got a good up close look at the cars and could ask questions. I encouraged a number of adults and kids to hop in my car and get a feel for it. I just think events like this should be set up to attract a wider audience than all the usual suspects. Ah Im just rambling now ,time to rub down with Ben Gay and get to bed early. Thats what we old folks do. Mike
tgirand

Post by tgirand »

Hi to all.
I'm new to the group. Have owned a 246GTS and sold that for my 330 GTC, 1968.
Would anyone be interested in meeting up in corning, ny on the way to toronto this summer? I am in NYC and was thinking corning would be a good stopover on the way, about half-way there.
Cheers!
Tony G
Michael Bayer

Post by Michael Bayer »

Mike wrote: " I wonder who will I pass my cars ,like the Packard,and Ferrari to? All my tools and testing gear is for old stuff and while my kids like the cars they dont have the interest in mechanical things I do."
Mike: Did you not read the user agreement for this site? When you kick the bucket in 50+ years all that stuff goes to the survivors here on Tom's site!!!! M
Michael J. Bayer
330GT s/n 9727
365GTC4 s/n 14943
Dino Spider s/n 1193
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

Post by Rudy van Daalen Wetters »

I am trying to figure out who Ben is...

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 4001
1966 330 GT s/n 8705
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi to all.
Would anyone be interested in meeting up in corning, ny on the way to toronto this summer? I am in NYC and was thinking corning would be a good stopover on the way, about half-way there.
Cheers!
Tony G
Hi Tony,

We could all caravan up. I'm still on the fence about going, and for how many days. It's going to be a busy Ferrari year, so I need to decide which events I can do.

Being in NYC, you're close enough to get together before July for a Drive. I hope to plan an informal drive sometime this spring to get together NY area Vintage Owners.

Welcome aboard.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
tgirand

Post by tgirand »

tyang wrote:
Hi to all.
Cheers!
Tony G
Hi Tony,

We could all caravan up. I'm still on the fence about going, and for how many days. It's going to be a busy Ferrari year, so I need to decide which events I can do.

Being in NYC, you're close enough to get together before July for a Drive. I hope to plan an informal drive sometime this spring to get together NY area Vintage Owners.

Welcome aboard.

Tom
Tom,
thanks! i think you are on to something. let's hope for an early spring so we can get these babies out on salt/sand-free roads in upstate NY and beyond. looking forward to getting to know other vintage owners in the area. cheers!
Tony
'68 330 GTC 11269, 72 246 GTS 03794
tyang

Post by tyang »

Tom,
thanks! i think you are on to something. let's hope for an early spring so we can get these babies out on salt/sand-free roads in upstate NY and beyond. looking forward to getting to know other vintage owners in the area. cheers!
Tony
Hi Tony,

I fired up the 330 the other day to check my carb adjustments after installing the newly plated throttle linkage, and I can't wait to take her out for a spin! It's that time of the year that I really want to get out from under all this snow! I still have a rock hard frozen lump of snow and ice blocking my garage. Ugh!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
afwrench

Post by afwrench »

Michael Bayer wrote:Mike wrote: " I wonder who will I pass my cars ,like the Packard,and Ferrari to? All my tools and testing gear is for old stuff and while my kids like the cars they dont have the interest in mechanical things I do."
Mike: Did you not read the user agreement for this site? When you kick the bucket in 50+ years all that stuff goes to the survivors here on Tom's site!!!! M
Michael , I missed that fine print! 50 years? That puts me at 106, not bad. I wonder what the aveage age of the surviving members will be at that time. Perhaps Ill put in my will that there be a 80yrs old and over cage fighting match. Winner takes it all! Any Takers? Mike
whturner

Registration costs

Post by whturner »

Hi Guys:
Hi GUys:

I can afford the cost if I wanted to - but it is quite a contrast to the $75 basic registration fee for the 45th Early Ford V-8 (Grand National meet) which I am committed to attend. Ironically I might see more V-12 cars there than Toronto. (And it may be only a Ford meet, but there will be some big bucks and rare cars there.)

But the point is, you can choose the events you plan to attend, so you don't pay for those you don't want. I have always felt put-upon when forced to pay for something I don't want just to get another item.

Cheers
Warren
330 GT Series II sn 10069
jcwconsult

Post by jcwconsult »

I exchanged emails with Vicki in the FCA organizing group. They have not yet settled on the fee for the general public to come see the Concours, but it may come out about $20. They are also considering a VIP ticket for the Concours that would include lunch -- intended for special friends or family who just want to see the display. They said that one of the issues is limited parking available at the site. NOTE that these decisions are not final yet, and could change.
Jim Walker
365 GT 2+2 #12451