FCA 2008 ANNUAL MEET

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

jcwconsult

Post by jcwconsult »

I just sent in my entry fee for FCA2008. We are staying privately in the home of one of our travel club members in King City, about 6 miles north of the golf course where the Concours will be held. At $20/night, that bargain is hard to pass up - and they will give us the garage at night.

Tom, Tom, Mark, and ???? who all is coming?

Has anybody looked at the optional Wednesday night dinner excursion? It might be a neat way for us to get together in one spot with time to talk. We could ask to all go to the same restaurant and the hosts provide transport from the Hilton (if I read it correctly).
Jim Walker
365 GT 2+2 #12451
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Jim,

Unfortunately, my schedule does not permit me to attend!

Tom Yang
'63 330 America #5053
TOMKIZER

Post by TOMKIZER »

I've booked FCA2008 and reserved the Hilton, driving down and arriving Tuesday afternoon. I plan to have my car detailed Wednesday morning in Toronto before registering Wednesday afternoon for FCA2008.

I've been trying to decide about the optional Wednesday night dinner. If it's an opportunity to meet you guys and talk cars, count me in. Let us know who else is interested by posting here.

As an alternative, I was also thinking of trying to get downtown to Movenpic's "Le Marché" for dinner, but it's no fun alone.

Also, I'm signed up for the pleasure drive to the winery, but would consider changing to the rally if that's what everybody else is doing.

By the way, my car is "done enough" but I'm still finding things to improve on before the FCA2008 Concours. After restoring the powertrain and chassis in the late 90s (6,000km ago), and the body in 2005, I just finished installing my new leather interior. I can't wait to drive to Toronto and back, if it doesn't break "en route".

Tom Kizer
So many sidewalk cafés - so little time left.
1969 365 GT 2+2 S/N 12293 (Gone but not forgotten)
1967 230 SL 4-spd (Currently on CPR)
jcwconsult

Post by jcwconsult »

We entered the "competitive" form of the rallye -it is fun to look for the clues. If you have a passenger, I recommend you make that change.

Except for 98+ point cars that are never driven, EVERY classic car is a work in progress. We love to drive our car, so it will never be a 98+ point trailer queen. I talked to several owners at the Villa d'Este with winning or near-winning cars. They feel they cannot drive them on the road, and they give up a huge part of the ownership experience. That is not for me. I like Jim Glickenhous's approach -- drive it and fix it as necessary for the next show.
Jim Walker
365 GT 2+2 #12451
TOMKIZER

Post by TOMKIZER »

I think I'll try to change to the competitive form of the wine country tour. I shouldn't have too much trouble finding a co-pilot.

I do understand the "fear" of driving a restored vintage car. Within 20 km of getting the car on the road after the strip and repaint, a truck threw a small rock into my paint job, about two inches from the prancing horse on the nose. It was like having a pimple on the tip of your nose. It was all you could see when you looked at the car. It hasn't stopped me from driving it, however.

I hope we can get a lot of vintage owner participation. This is a good place to organize a participant list.

Tom Kizer
TOMKIZER

Post by TOMKIZER »

I've changed from the "Niagara pleasure cruise" to the "Rally". I've also got a co-pilot.

Apparently three of the planned five Wednesday night dinner excursions are confirmed - two of the three are Italian. I'm tempted by the pizzeria excursion but am flexible, since my purpose is to meet people. Although it's my favorite, I need Italian food like I need another 5 pounds. The pizzeria is apparently highly rated.

I would really be interested in knowing who else to expect to see at FCA2008, so I'm starting an "outside the FCA" list for TomYangers (new word). Anybody else?? Please??

Tom Kizer 1969 Euro 365 GT 2+2 #12293
Jim Walker 1970 365 GT 2+2 #12451?????

Tom Kizer
TOMKIZER

Post by TOMKIZER »

OK, from the tire thread, I've added another FCA2008 2+2 participant.
Anyone who's going, please feel free to add your name to the list so we'll know who to look for in Toronto. Just copy the list and add to it in a reply. By the way, I've added only names of those who have stated elsewhere in TomYang.net that they are going to be there.

Tom Kizer 1969 Euro 365 GT 2+2 #12293
Jim Walker 1970 365 GT 2+2 #12451?????
Mark Dempsey 1969 365 GT 2+2

Tom Kizer
mdempsey

Post by mdempsey »

mdempsey

Post by mdempsey »

I planned on stopping in Niagara Tuesday night to look at the water Wednesday then come on up...or over.
mdempsey

Post by mdempsey »

Tom what can you tell me about your detailer??
TOMKIZER

Post by TOMKIZER »

The detailer is Kevin Hamill of "GTA in Detail". I found him by searching FerrariChat detailer discussions in the Canada section. I started looking for a Toronto detailer in February or March because I'm driving to Toronto and I don't have the competence to do it myself. He's fully booked now I think, but you can check his on-line booking schedule for openings on his web site.

Jim Walker and Molly have signed up for the Wednesday night Hosted Dinner at "Georgio D", an Italian restaurant. I'm signed up too. Maybe you would like to join us. It will be after the concours seminar and after the reception. I hope it doesn't conflict with the reception.

Tom Kizer
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

Post by Rudy van Daalen Wetters »

Georgio D is a fabulous restaurant. Try the Norwegian smoked salmon.
Splendido is a very good place as well. Wish I could make it.

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 4001
1966 330 GT s/n 8705
TOMKIZER

Post by TOMKIZER »

I have a novice question about the FCA Concours that should be answerable by anyone who has participated in one.

I notice in the few photos I've seen of the FCA concours that, around the cars, there are no folding chairs, cleaning supply containers, usable tools, umbrellas, etc. I suspect that the items to be judged (Ferrari tools, books, bags, etc.) are in the trunk, but how about the "support" stuff?

Tom Kizer
mdempsey

Post by mdempsey »

My experience has been that when the car is judged that kind of stuff is set to the side. Once judged it is then placed back in the trunk. Sometimes see chairs and the like. Not typical to see big stuffed dolls leaning against cars or fake drive in trays...............
tyang

Post by tyang »

mdempsey wrote:Not typical to see big stuffed dolls leaning against cars or fake drive in trays...............
Oh I've seen stuff dolls at Ferrari shows, but they were stuffed with Silicone!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053