FCA 2008 ANNUAL MEET

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

TOMKIZER

FCA 2008 ANNUAL MEET

Post by TOMKIZER »

Is it too early to start discussing the 2008 FCA Annual Meet in Toronto? I notice that a lot of people here have been to the previous events and entered their cars in the Concours d'Elegance. I've never been to one - I'm not even a member, but I'm sorely tempted, just to be able to meet some of you.
Who's going?
Tom Kizer
So many sidewalk cafés - so little time left.
1969 365 GT 2+2 S/N 12293 (Gone but not forgotten)
1967 230 SL 4-spd (Currently on CPR)
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Tom,

I just got back from putting 1700 miles round trip on Mark Dempsey's 365GT 2+2 for Cavallino, and he's planning on driving to Toronto for the FCA Nationals. I have not decided yet if I'm going, but you never know...

It would be great to meet up!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
TOMKIZER

Post by TOMKIZER »

I'm getting closer to deciding to go to Toronto in July. I just a few minutes ago joined FCA, in spite of being 180 miles from the nearest chapter. Well, at least I can read Prancing Horse while the snow falls. And if summer falls on a weekend, I'll take the Ferrari out of the garage.
I would really like to meet you guys and swap restoration horror stories.
Tom Kizer
tyang

Post by tyang »

I would really like to meet you guys and swap restoration horror stories.
Hi Tom,

You can do that right here for free and in the comfort of your own home!

Tom Y.
'63 330 America #5053
TOMKIZER

Post by TOMKIZER »

Yeah, but it's more fun if you can clink beer glasses once in a while while swapping stories. Or even swap stories while hanging over opposite fenders, with appropriate fender aprons, of course.
Tom
mdempsey

Post by mdempsey »

It would be cool to storm the place with 2+2's..............And other old stuff. It's sad to see less and less old stuff driving around.
TOMKIZER

Post by TOMKIZER »

mdempsey wrote:It would be cool to storm the place with 2+2's..............And other old stuff. It's sad to see less and less old stuff driving around.
I would really like that. The new stuff looks all the same to me. Unless something bad happens, I'm going to drive my Queen to Toronto (9 hours) for the event, put her in the Concours and stay for the duration of the meet. It will be my first FCA event. I'm trying to convince another 1968 365 GT 2+2 owner and a 1985 328 owner to do the same. I'm almost sure we'll have another Quebecois with his near-perfect 1980 308 GTBi (perfect as far as I can see) at the event. I wonder where one would find a good detailer near the hotel. Driving from Quebec will probably leave my 365 looking a little ragged, what with all the road film, windshield washer fluid tracks, Big Mac wrappers and empty pop cans.
Tom Kizer
mdempsey

Post by mdempsey »

sounds like a plan is hatching!
klv

Post by klv »

I can only encourage you from afar, but I can highly recommend doing such a 'road trip' as you are planning! I've done 7 trips over the Nullarbor Plain in Australia, mostly in my Alfa GTVs and even (optimistically) in a Jensen Healey! I still want to do it in the 365GT one day (there is one section of 148km without a bend in the road!) if Kelly will let me take it! In the meantime, we are planning lots of Continental Touring when we get it to the UK next year. It's what the cars were built for originally, and as long as you are aware of temperatures, noises etc, it should be a non-issue. With the amount of fuel a 365 GT consumes, you'll be stopping every couple of hours anyway, so if you can drive for 2 hours, then you should be able to drive for 10 hours!
Kelly La Velle & Andrew Stevens
tyang

Post by tyang »

I can only encourage you from afar, but I can highly recommend doing such a 'road trip' as you are planning! I've done 7 trips over the Nullarbor Plain in Australia, mostly in my Alfa GTVs and even (optimistically) in a Jensen Healey! I still want to do it in the 365GT one day (there is one section of 148km without a bend in the road!) if Kelly will let me take it! In the meantime, we are planning lots of Continental Touring when we get it to the UK next year. It's what the cars were built for originally, and as long as you are aware of temperatures, noises etc, it should be a non-issue. With the amount of fuel a 365 GT consumes, you'll be stopping every couple of hours anyway, so if you can drive for 2 hours, then you should be able to drive for 10 hours!
When I considered driving across the Nullarbor Plain in 05, I heard that the sheep/petrol stations were spaced just far enough for a tank of gas. Get there after closing, and you may have to wait unitl morning to fill up. Was this just a story to keep less than adventurous tourists from heading out into the desert?

I may go to the FCA National event. I'm thinking about taking my car for "display" and not judging.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
klv

Post by klv »

Most of the stations are 24hr ones now, but I wouldn't recommend driving after dusk anyway, as you are VERY likely to encounter some wildlife out there...and unless you have a large set of headlights and spotlights you won't see them until the last minute...
In the past I have taken off from Perth early in the morning and got to the border with South Australia after about 10 hours of driving (just under 1000 miles) with about 4-5 stops along the way for fuel, stretch legs etc. After that, you are happy to have a rest! I was running behind once and trying to make the last 60-70km in the dark at about 50 mph and a rabbit jumped across in front of me. I braked and missed it and got off the brakes just as a Kangaroo jumped across the road! I just clipped the end of it's tail above the headlight of the GTV...If I hadn't braked for the rabbit I would have caught it front and centre...I stopped at the next roadhouse a few miles further on which was very grotty, but much better that hitting anything!
Kelly La Velle & Andrew Stevens
jcwconsult

Post by jcwconsult »

We are planning to go to Toronto and will also probably show the car for "display only". (I don't think I can improve on the Gold from 2007, because I don't have the time and $$$ to make some good things into perfect things. I also don't want to ever be afraid of driving the car, on the basis of damaging chances for the next possible trophy.)

It would be great to see more of the classic 2+2's show up - driven in from wherever. These were the cars that financially supported Ferrari in the 1960's, sold in greater numbers than the contemporary 2 seaters in most cases. People like ourselves bought them to DRIVE in the 1960's, not to sit on a pedestal or to only use 3 or 4 times a year at track events.

We joined the Michigan FOC group last year to have some more local driving events, and have one of the few classics in the group. Owners of the newer V-8's are really interested to see our car, which is often about the same age as the people who own the newer cars.
Jim Walker
365 GT 2+2 #12451
TOMKIZER

Post by TOMKIZER »

Tom Y, Mark, and Jim,

It looks like things are shaping up for an invasion of V12 2+2s in Toronto.

I am really excited about the possibility of meeting, in person, you guys and lots of the other people I've communicated and commiserated with over the last few years on this site. I've never participated in an FCA event before. In fact, my car has never been judged anywhere before, so I'm looking forward to know how I've done with my restoration. Do you get to see the judges' scores?

I've joined but don't have any FCA info yet so I didn't even know it was possible to "display only". I assume it's cheaper than competing? I hope to get the entry forms with my membership packet. If not, there will be more delays with my entry.

I've booked the Hilton in Markham for the entire period so I'm taking the deep dive. Even when I find out what's left to be done to make my car correct, I'll probably be too broke to do it.

Mark, if we all go, at least you would'nt likely be parked all alone among a bunch of more modern cars. Let's try to get lots of V12 2+2s together in Toronto.

I'll be sure to bring my notepad and my camera to document all of your cars so I'll know how to complete the final touches on mine for next time.

I don't know what most of you look like so if I find Tom, I'll probably ask him to introduce me around. I'm easy. I look like mark twain without the white suit and cigar.

Tom Kizer
mdempsey

Post by mdempsey »

Great, looking forward to it. FYI the judging is fun. Of course it is odd to be judged against a 20 year newer car for originality as has happened. But it is still fun. It also gives you a target to shoot at and a way for others to give advise on your car. Lets stay in touch as things get closer. I assume that Jim Walker is making the trip?? Jim?
tyang

Post by tyang »

Jim Walker is having some problems posting (AOL Ugh!), but he's asked me to post this for him:
For Tom Kizer - and anyone else with similar questions:

The costs are the same for display or for judging. The Concours is included in the main set of fees, whether you participate, or not. (There is a higher fee for the track events.) I would encourage you to be judged, at least once. It will give you one list from one set of judges of what they found to criticize. You can get the detailed notes about 2 or 3 weeks after the event. NOTE that this list might be quite different from the list at another concours with a different set of judges. We talked to one 348 owner in Corning who had received a Platinum at an earlier event and was out of the running for even a silver at Corning. He said his car was little, if any, different between the two events. Sometimes it has to do with who else shows up in your class to be judged. Mark's car was quite a bit nicer than mine in many details. I thought that Tom's 330 America was judged pretty critically, though I am a LONG way from an expert in Concours judging.

For us, the experience to see the gathering of cars and talk to so many interesting owners is the reason to come. If you happen to get a trophy, that is a bonus reward for the effort to prepare the car. We found that the people who show the really special cars like a GTO or Testa Rossa are amazingly friendly and approachable. The same goes for the FCA executive group that puts on the events.

We will probably stay with a member of one of the informal bed and breakfast travel clubs we belong to, as we did in Corning. $15 or $20 per night and your own garage and driveway is a better deal for us, though you do lose some chances for late night beers at the bar with friends. Send me a PM if anyone wants more info on this. It is a GREAT way to travel with a classic car and an equally great way to save money in traveling, both in North America and abroad.

We hope to see LOTS of classics in Toronto - and to find time to meet together with the folks on this terrific forum.

Regards,

Jim Walker
365 GT 2+2 #12451
Toronto looks like it could be a lot of fun. Would anyone be interested in renting a house for the week? We could have our own 2+2 gathering!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053