Brake Rebuilding Project

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

Tom Y, despite my errant piston, your liability insurance will not be canceled over my brakes. I was thoroughly warned by you and three or four others before starting. If fact, I was expecting it to blow a hole in my garage wall, which is why I did it in the back yard. I had the setup clamped down and aimed in a direction where no one or no thing could get hurt. Rags were strategically placed to catch brake fluid.

Overall, it all went well. I was just having fun on a sunny day making a loud pop and blasting these pistons into my towel (and in one case, the lawn).
Tom Wilson - Series III 250 GTE, SN 4247 GT
Curator of the 250 GTE Register
http://www.250GTE.com
tyang

Post by tyang »

Tom Wilson wrote:Tom Y, despite my errant piston, your liability insurance will not be canceled over my brakes. I was thoroughly warned by you and three or four others before starting. If fact, I was expecting it to blow a hole in my garage wall, which is why I did it in the back yard. I had the setup clamped down and aimed in a direction where no one or no thing could get hurt. Rags were strategically placed to catch brake fluid.

Overall, it all went well. I was just having fun on a sunny day making a loud pop and blasting these pistons into my towel (and in one case, the lawn).
Liability and lawsuits aside, I would hate to feel I had not warned you enough! The interesting thing is you are amassing real world experience first hand that you now know what to expect if you ever have a stuck piston again. These experiences are invaluable, but just like learning how to drive a car, the learning curve is steep, and the hope is you get enough "seat time" before you get hurt!

The next dangerous task is if you decide to rebuild you rear leaf springs!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Racerrad

Re: Brake Rebuilding Project

Post by Racerrad »

Tom's, I'm enjoying the review of this project. I'm wondering if you or the other knowledgeable guys know what the minimum brake rotor dimension is in order to determine if there is enough surface to turn? I have not been able to find this information anywhere.

As always, thanks in advance for any information provided.

Rad
1963 250 GTE S/N 4221 w/ 330 engine.