Monterey 2008

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

330GT

Monterey 2008

Post by 330GT »

I know that it's early, but I just made my reservations for Monterey in August.

The <a href="http://www.pebblebeachconcours.net/page ... ce">Pebble Beach Tour</a> is Thursday, 8/14, with the <a href="http://www.pebblebeachconcours.net/page ... ">Concours </a>on Sunday 8/17.

<a href="http://www.concorso.com/">Concorso Italiano</a> and <a href="http://www.quaillodgeevents.com/">The Quail</a> (sold out) are on Friday 8/15.

The <a href="http://www.montereyhistoric.com/">Monterey Historic races</a> are at Leguna Seca, Friday 8/15-Sunday 8/17.

Tom Yang's party is usually Thursday night.
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
lukek

Post by lukek »

Regrettably...I will not be coming this year. Kinda burnt out and I just spent my "car event" budget on Formula 1 tickets and travel (Montreal).

I am making a resolution to instead drive my GTE more often. Wife and I talked about staging our own private rally...on the way to a spa in Utah. I have been reading too many Peter Egan stories in Cycle World and Road and Track.
Ex 1963 Ferrari 250 GTE, 99 Modena 360, 11 Maserati QPorte S, 08 merc gl550, 67 Cadillac Coupe DeVille Convertible, 2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, 2006 MV Agusta Brutale S, 1991 Ducati 907i.e.
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

Post by Rudy van Daalen Wetters »

Luke,

The Quail is a spa. You couldn't ask for better therapy. Rallye on up to Carmel....

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 4001
1966 330 GT s/m 8705
tyang

Post by tyang »

The Tomyang.net party will be on Thursday night at the usual place! If you're in Monterey, I hope to at least see you all there!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
lukek

Post by lukek »

I have a picture from Quail...In the background is my car and a couple of empty chairs....in the foreground...my kids making a pyramid out of empty martini glasses (about 18 of them!). The parents are nowhere to be seen....That was my spa experience a few years ago.

PS. Kids are trained not to touch cars, no worries.
Rudy van Daalen Wetters wrote:Luke,

The Quail is a spa. You couldn't ask for better therapy. Rallye on up to Carmel....

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 4001
1966 330 GT s/m 8705
Ex 1963 Ferrari 250 GTE, 99 Modena 360, 11 Maserati QPorte S, 08 merc gl550, 67 Cadillac Coupe DeVille Convertible, 2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, 2006 MV Agusta Brutale S, 1991 Ducati 907i.e.
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

A pyramid out of empty Martini glasses?! I think I would have enjoyed being a part of that project.

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 4001
1966 330 Gt s/n 8705
chukkar

concorso italiano

Post by chukkar »

It's been an interesting search for the the Concorso Italiano organizers trying to find a venue this year. The Bayonet/Blackhorse has recently undergone a facelift which would not be favorable to cars and people trampling the new fairways. The organizer tried for the golf course here in Pacific Grove. However, there was too much whining from the locals living near the course about noise, traffic, and empty bottles of Thunderbird and MD20/20 left behind by those Ferrari folks. Even the city council rejected the event. The issue was a hot topic and made front page headlines over the course of a week or two.

A couples of weeks ago the paper said they secured a location at the Marina airport which I find as a challenging location. This was an airport used by the military for many years and not in the best of shape. However, knowing this is not the organizers first rodeo, I would be confident they will have a nice show.
62 250GTE # 3637gt
Bryan P

Post by Bryan P »

Bill Bowdish and I will get there Wednesday night. Michael Bayer is also coming, but I don't know what day. Dad and the Mondial will be there but at this time are not sure what day the Mondial will get there on the rig . . .

See you all thursday night!
1968 365 GT 2+2
s/n 11199
1955 s.II 500 Mondial
s/n 0556(0446)MD
1965 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint Speciale
lukek

Post by lukek »

Change of plans !
I just got a letter from a luxury vacation resort in Carmel. The offer was a 2 night stay at an alluring $119 each, and I get a $100 gift cert for any restaurant after I attend the 1 hour presentation. That is exactly how I went to Hawaii a couple of years ago (I did not like the timeshare setup there, but I did accept the $450 discount off the room rate).

This letter had a unique reservation number, so I am not sure if this would be available to the general public, but it was in the mailbox and I called, thinking they would block out some dates....
I called them and Aug 14 and 15 were available ! I am booked and confirmed. I will still prob attend Concorso as a spectator, but I can prob make the tomyang Th night party on the 14th, after all. Yoo-hoo !
GlassGTB

Post by GlassGTB »

I am thinking about going this year. Can anyone recommend some places to stay that are in the middle of the action? What are the going rates for hotels in the area?
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

Those Hyatt vacation resort people know how to work a crowd. They had an all time record sales year in 2007. $119.00 a night is too good to be true.

As for accomodations in the center of the action, check with Sabrina at the Casa Munras Garden Hotel. The hotel is centrally located between the Quail, Laguna Seca, and the Portola Plaza Hotel where the RM auctions are held (within walking distance). Many of the Ferrari Club people stay there. It has also been the long time home of the Aston Martin Owner's club members as well. Thursday night is when the Aston club members have their parking lot bash. The hotel is famous for settling the question, "Do the headlights of a car still work when they are under water in a swimming pool?"

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 4001
1966 330 GT s/n 8705
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

The hotel is famous for settling the question, "Do the headlights of a car still work when they are under water in a swimming pool?"
So, do they??? Inquiring minds want to know!

I was in Monterey last week and stayed at the Travelodge across from Casa Munras. I truly regret the experience and will next year go across the street to contemplate deep questions by the pool.

I am not sure if I will be able to attend this year. Getting unceremoniously booted from the Quail is a factor. Also, having a daughter going to college the following week or month (depending on the letters we get in the next two weeks) will be a major factor. If she gets into the school that I am rooting for, there will be a cross country trip involved, which may trump Carmel this year.
Tom Wilson - Series III 250 GTE, SN 4247 GT
Curator of the 250 GTE Register
http://www.250GTE.com
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

Tom,

You need to make it up there. The Quail is open to 3000 people. So, that being said as people leave that makes room for other people to get in. I worked it that way when they were sold out and after some guests left, I got in no problem. Secondarily, if you get there really early and act like you belong with a car going on to the field, you literally walk in. I did that
accidently, and nobody ever stopped me. Oops.

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 4001
1966 330 GT s/n 8705
365gtc/4

Post by 365gtc/4 »

I have never been to Pebble Beach at any time let alone for the concourse. I would be interested in catching up with you guys but coming from Melbourne Australia (not Florida) I need to make some forward planning. Any suggestions? Of course I would like to go to as many of the events as possible.
John
John
Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with Windows.
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi All,

Here's what I'll be doing for the Monterey weekend so far:

Thursday the 14th, lunch: Carmel where the Pebble Beach cars arrive after a drive and park in the middle of town.

Thursday evening, Tomyang.net Monterey Party
7pm at Mariposa Inn
1386 MUNRAS AVENUE, Monterey

Friday the 15th: Quail Lodge, and Concorso Italiano. Quail is sold out, but Concorso tickets should always be available. I will try to be at both events, but will probably be primarily at Quail. I hope to hit Concorso early as the cars are loaded in, and head over to Quail at about lunch. (Can't miss the food!)

Saturday the 16th: Laguna Seca. Arrive early o'clock, stay all day walking the paddock and watching the races.

Sunday is still undecided. I will probably end up buying tickets and head over to Pebble Beach, but we'll see. Admiral Phillips should be showing his car, and it would be nice to be there.

In those four days, there are auctions all over town usually piggy backed with the events at Quail, Pebble, and in Monterey town. If I get passes, I usually try to stop in to these auctions to watch the action whenever time permits.

I'm always up for meeting people during this weekend, and if you PM for my cell phone number, we can contact each other to meet.

Ramses (GlassGTB), be prepared that the prices of a beach town motel that usualy rent for $100 bucks a night go up to $200-$300 a night for this weekend. It's not fair, but they get away with it. Many are already booked.

John, It'll be well worth the trip from Melborne (AU), and I look forward to meeting. If you can't make the tomyang.net party, I'm sure we'll meet during the weekend. As we get closer, I'll post my hotel information so you can leave me messages at the front desk if you don't have a phone.

For first timers, hotel is not too important as the events are spread out about the Monterey Pininsula. The town of Monterey is the epicenter, but you'll usually end up driving 20-30 minutes to one event or another. Traffic is horrible, but if you leave early for the big events, it's not too bad. It's when you try to to EVERYTHING like me, is when the traffic gets annoying.

I haven't even gotten through the Spring Party, and I'm getting pumped about seeing everyone in August!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053