Article on rebuilding a 330 GT engine

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

330GT

Article on rebuilding a 330 GT engine

Post by 330GT »

I normally don't post information on newly added articles in the 330 GT Registry, but I thought this one would interest a few people.

Though in Italian, the 45 pictures of rebuilding the engine are what caught my eye. There is a link at the top to have AltaVista translate the article to English, but be prepared to 'read between the lines' to get the gist of the article. The car is 7613, now residing in Monaco.

For those who are interested:
http://www.330gt.com/MagazineArticles/RC199703.htm

BTW, the registry has about 175 articles on 330 GT cars online:
http://www.330gt.com/Articles.htm
Most are in English with the rest (except for the Swedish ones) having a translate link.
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
Stephanm

Post by Stephanm »

Why is everyone so interested in overhauling engines? This is the easiest part of restoring a Ferrari. You want a difficult job, rebuild your window regulators or try to get all of the interior trim pieces to look good once they get re-upholstered. A Ferrari engine is like any other engine, piston clearance, bearing clearance, thrust washer clearance is the same as a BMW, Porsche, VW, whatever...
Cam timing requires some knowledge of the Ferrari reference marks but otherwise it just requires a thorough job to make sure clearances are good, crankshaft passages are clean, and some experience as to how keep them from leaking... just like any other engine.
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

Post by Rudy van Daalen Wetters »

I think people are interested in Ferrari engine overhauls because it represents something unique, rare and special. The final product represents more than the sum total of its parts. It is a motor with tradition and heritage. The sound of the V-12 speaks volumes. Like the horse, it is a thoroughbred.

I have done both the window regulators on my 330 GT and it was simple once you figure it out. My passenger side was a tangled mess. I studied the driver side first, rolled up the cable on the spool as on the driver side then tied it up with a thin copper wire. I then layed out the whole works and attached it to a cardboard template in layout order as in the door. I then worked the cardboard into the door and attached each piece in sequence to the pulleys. My last step was to untie the spooled wires once under tension and remove the cardboard. Presto, window worked like a charm.

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 4001
1966 330 GT s/n 8705
Art S.

Post by Art S. »

Rudy,

When my window regulator breaks, I'm inviting you over :) .

Regards,

Art S.
1965 330 2+2 series 2 7919
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

Art,

That would be a good excuse for me to come out there.

Best,

Rudy
Lowell

engine rebuild

Post by Lowell »

Gee, how can anyone pass up a chance to view Ferrari
engine parts even if the coils are not red, the loom missing,
and the ignition wire are yellow? Beautiful nonetheless.
Lowell Brown
1966 Gold 330 2+2 Series II
Art S.

Post by Art S. »

Lowell,

My ignition wires are yellow and Steve (or his Dad) put them in years ago. The yellow wires and the blue coils work very well by the way.

Rudy,

I'll try to get them messed up in time for the spring gathering in VA, it will give you an excuse to join me (assuming I get my car back from Francois! - Tom Y. any news?)

Regards,

Art S.
1965 330 2+2 series 2 7919
kare

Post by kare »

Stephanm wrote:You want a difficult job, rebuild your window regulators or try to get all of the interior trim pieces to look good once they get re-upholstered.
Hear, hear. I just replaced the cable operating the passenger side fresh air vent on my GT/E. I thought I will never get it done but 4 cables and 15 hours later it works OK.
250 GT 2+2 3197/GT
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

Kare,

You're allowed to use both hands when performing these types of tasks.

Regards,

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 4001
1966 330 GT s/n 8705
tyang

Post by tyang »

(assuming I get my car back from Francois! - Tom Y. any news?)
Funny you should ask Art. Francois and I were just talking about your car. I worked on putting the Boxer cam belts and associated pieces back together today, but your car is in the que. We just hope we can find what's causing the fouling issues without too much time. What was that about engines being so easy?

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

Trust me, there are a lot of us out here who do not think rebuilding an engine is easy. We like to read about it because if we read enough, listen to others enough and work hard enough, we may eventually find it easy.
Tom Wilson - Series III 250 GTE, SN 4247 GT
Curator of the 250 GTE Register
http://www.250GTE.com
Stephanm

Post by Stephanm »

What I want to say is that other than the beautiful and advanced design of the engine there is nothing that makes rebuilding it unique to other engines. Your average hot rod shop Chevy V-8 man could overhaul one with no dramas. Like any engine there are some things to look out for such as where to get head gaskets, which roller followers to use and the best valve lash screws but otherwise all other details are common to any other engine.

The drama and the true skill comes sheet metal work, getting panels and parts to fit and re-assembling a car after paint work. This is a terrible job that requires the patience of a saint and thousands of hours of work.

This is true skill and talent.
kare

Post by kare »

Rudy van Daalen Wetters wrote:You're allowed to use both hands when performing these types of tasks.
Now I look like an idiot. Heh, I'm used to that...
250 GT 2+2 3197/GT
tyang

Post by tyang »

Stephanm wrote:What I want to say is that other than the beautiful and advanced design of the engine there is nothing that makes rebuilding it unique to other engines. Your average hot rod shop Chevy V-8 man could overhaul one with no dramas. Like any engine there are some things to look out for such as where to get head gaskets, which roller followers to use and the best valve lash screws but otherwise all other details are common to any other engine.

The drama and the true skill comes sheet metal work, getting panels and parts to fit and re-assembling a car after paint work. This is a terrible job that requires the patience of a saint and thousands of hours of work.

This is true skill and talent.
Metalcraft is very interesting work, but sometimes hard to show in a couple of pictures. I was approached by the Discovery Channel years ago about doing a show (It looks like they talked to EVERYONE in the business!) and we discussed the possibilities of doing something. There were plenty of reasons why I didn't want to do TV (I've seen enough working for CBS), but the main two reasons I gave them was first, I didn't throw tools around the shop and curse like a sailor, and the second reason was Ferrari restoration is boring work to watch for the general public! I've attracted the several dozen people who care about what I like to see in restoration, and that's good enough for me.

I guess what I'm saying is ALL aspects of mechanical things are interesting to the people who visit this website.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053