Tool Bags

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

mdempsey

Tool Bags

Post by mdempsey »

I am trying to get a count on who may be interested in decent reproduction tool bags. I currently have my 365 GT jack and tool bags in for repair with a women who makes custom saddles. She can easily reproduce the bag for me and make it spot on. Estimated cost is in the $400-$500. range to cover her time and material and a small handling charge for me.

In addition, I have a Daytona bag that can be re-done and Tom might even lend out his 250 bag.

Let me know so I can gauge an interest. the more we have the lower the price will be.

Thanks,

Mark

(I may even have a bag to show at the Spring Party in MD. At the very least I will have my repaired bag)
mdempsey

Tool Bag

Post by mdempsey »

OOOPs that should read Tool Bag.
TOMKIZER

Post by TOMKIZER »

Mark,
I made the tool bag in the photo for myself (plus a spare). The jack bag is an old original. The most difficult issue was finding an accurate reproduction of the vinyl. I did not succeed but came close. In the closeup photo, an original jack bag material is on the left and my reproduction tool bag material is on the right. The texture is close but not quite the "rectangular pebble" of the original. The color is close as well, even to the dark streaks in the background of the brown. The repro material is, however, thicker than the original vinyl and, I think, probably more fragile, since it is a thin vinyl glued to a 15% leather base. It feels almost like thick glove leather. The strap leather was no problem to find but I had to make my own buckles (not shown) from coat-hanger wire to get the right size wire and buckles and then nickel plate them myself.
Good luck starting on this project. My two tool bags cost me about $150 each to make with me designing the pieces, procuring all materials, cutting patterns, making buckles and carry strap steel reinforcements, and riveting the straps. I paid to have the vinyl sewn and the leather straps sewn.
All I can say is, "I'm glad I'm done".
Good Luck!
Tom Kizer
So many sidewalk cafés - so little time left.
1969 365 GT 2+2 S/N 12293 (Gone but not forgotten)
1967 230 SL 4-spd (Currently on CPR)
afwrench

Post by afwrench »

Very nice indeed Tom ! Any chance you could post a picture of one of the buckles you made? Mike
72,365gtc4,14681,2007 599 GTB
TOMKIZER

Post by TOMKIZER »

afwrench wrote:Very nice indeed Tom ! Any chance you could post a picture of one of the buckles you made? Mike
Mike,
As you can see from the jack bag buckle photo (old and dark), the buckles are just bent and forge-welded wire. I couldn't make forge welding work for me (not hot enough torch), so I soldered the ends and then nickle plated them at home with a Caswell kit (new buckle photo).
By the way, I used coat hanger wire that was 0.100 inch diameter (same as original buckle wire.
Mark, I can provide the details of the vinyl I used if you are interested, and my bag will be at FCA 2008 in Toronto, if nothing bad happens.
I also made and can provide detailed designs of all the tool bag vinyl and leather pieces, including the leather slot spacing, for your project if you are interested.
Tom Kizer
mdempsey

Post by mdempsey »

Your bag looks great. Interesting about your buckles. My tool bag has brass parts and my jack bag has nickle. Wonder if one or the other has been repaired. Any thoughts. The saddle maker has a big book of buckles with two that are very close to otiginal. I definitely would like any info you have. Thanks.
afwrench

Post by afwrench »

Tom ,great job on the buclkles! It is comforting to know that in the event of world wide devastation the vintage Ferrari community will be able to replace the trappings of a civil society. BTW I do hope you used an Italian wire hanger. Regards ,Mike
TOMKIZER

Post by TOMKIZER »

Actually it was an American coat hanger when I started, but by the time I finished bending it with my pinze piane, grinding the ends with my fresatrice, soldering the ends with my torcia propano, and plating it with nichelato, it had actually transformed itself into a fibbia. Capisci?
Ciao.
Tommasino Cesare
afwrench

Post by afwrench »

What was that Tom! Its all Greek to me. Mike
mdempsey

Post by mdempsey »

OK I have at least two interested parties. I had a chance at the party to show my original bags that had been repaired. The contact I have (she makes custon horse saddles so I guess she is a saddlerer?? If that is a word) does great work. She even noticed that the orginal bags handles were hand sewn so she did that.

Right now I am going to make three sets of the two piece bags (jack and tool). I think these are correct for the later 330 GT's and all of the 365 GT's. They will be as accurate as possible given modern contraints. We know the vinyl we can get won't have an identical grain and also it is likely that the buckles will be nickle plated and then blackened (unless somone has a source for the jappened buckles). The actual buckle we have found is nearly a dead match though besides the jappened part.

Also, not to break anyone's heart as I know that we seek these bags out like they are nearly unoptanium, but she tells me the bags are actually crappy as her art is concerned. Her first response upon looking at the bags was that she could make us a much better all leather bag. I told her no, we needed to replicate the crappiness as best as possible. She said she would take extra care to make sure the bags were as crappy as we needed. No crappier though. Oh well, it should look right.

I also need a volunteer with a one piece bag good for the early 330's. Then we can cover all of the 2 + 2 stuff back to the 250's.

Cost looks to be in the $450-$500 range right now. I will keep it as low as possible but I do need to make sure she makes some money so she will keep doing them.
Michael Bayer

Post by Michael Bayer »

I have an original one piece bag you are welcome to borrow as a template
Michael J. Bayer
330GT s/n 9727
365GTC4 s/n 14943
Dino Spider s/n 1193
daffy

Post by daffy »

I am in for one "jack and tool" for later series II.
If you ship to Norway.
I PayPal

Regards
Dag E
330 GT 2+2 Serie II VIN 8495, 1966
Fiat DINO Coupe 246, 1971
Fiat Ritmo Abarth 1988
ISO Milano Diva 1959
Audi Urquattro 1984
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8, 2006
mdempsey

Post by mdempsey »

Mike that would be great. I will see about a discount on the 2 piece bag for loaning us the one piece job. And yes I will ship anywhere as long as you pay the freight. Hope to have an update soon.
mdempsey

Post by mdempsey »

OK we are getting started on doing an initial run of 5 sets of bags. It appears that 3 are spoken for. Michael Bayer, Daffy from Norway, & Warren Turner. I am going to start with 5 bag sets. 1 extra and one as a sample to bring to Reading and to Canada. Michael has agreed to loan us a single bag to do so they won't be far behind. Will keep everyone posted.
mdempsey

Post by mdempsey »

As an update. Tool bags are in production. We gave matching buckles and thought we had very very very close nauga hide. Turns out it was discontinued. Something about that particular nauga being extinct. So we went to the second choice which is very close. We looked at over 30 samples before choosing these two. Those that spoke up for bags look to hear from me in about two weeks. We are making 6 bags to start. 5 for sale and one sample I will bring to Ontario. Start collecting tools. PS I still need a sample one peice bag to cover early 330's and the 250's.