Exhaust system

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Dan Sands

Exhaust system

Post by Dan Sands »

Hi,
I bought an exhaust system from Stebro and it doesn’t seem to fit right. The distance from the exhaust tip to the first bend differs by 2” on either side and Stebro says this is correct. Also the hangers don’t line up right and some of the bends don’t seem to be in the right place. Does anyone have photos of a correct system they could send me, particularly the rear portion? The system that came off was not original and totally wrong so it’s no help.
Thanks, Dan
Dan Sands
1969 365 GT 2+2 12629
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Dan,

Sorry to hear about your problems. If no one is able to send you pictures, Francois is expecting a 365GT 2+2 in his shop next week that will be for sale. It's a very nice low mileage car, and I should be able to get you some pictures then.

Perhaps there were differences between Euro and American spec'd cars?

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Dan Sands

Post by Dan Sands »

Thanks Tom, that would be great.
Dan
Dan Sands
1969 365 GT 2+2 12629
mdempsey

Re: Exhaust system

Post by mdempsey »

Tom Kizer has some stentorian experience with a 365 GT
TOMKIZER

Re: Exhaust system

Post by TOMKIZER »

Unlike Mark's tendency toward loquaciousness, I tend to express my experiences in a more taciturn and sententious manner.

It is true that I installed a Stebro stainless steel exhaust system on my 365 GT 2+2. I found that the fit is not what I would have desired, but by removing and repositioning all but one L-bracket, both fore/aft and up/down, I was able to get the system to hang in the right place with the outlets only differing in their longitudinal position by 1/2 inch. I suspect that the bends are not necessarily positioned correctly or even consistent. But then again, maybe it's the cars that aren't consistent. I did however get mine at a really really good price on Ebay when they first started selling them there.

With the car on a lift, I supported both sides of the exhaust system with the pipes engaged, but not clamped. When I was happy with the fore/aft, up/down, and rotational position of each side, as well as the pipe engagement, I measured the error between the hangers and the hanger brackets, then identified exactly how much to move the hanger brackets and which direction. I made a drawing showing the correct locations of the hanger bracket relative to fixed points on the exhaust system. I took the whole thing to my body restoration guy and had the exhaust system modified.

It now fits almost perfectly (the left side still hangs 1/2 inch aft of the right side), and I'm happy with it now that it's painted flat black with barbeque paint. With Parker Hall's new peel and stick ANSA stickers, the judges at Cavallino didn't even notice that it's a Stebro stainless steel exhaust system.

Tom Kizer
So many sidewalk cafés - so little time left.
1969 365 GT 2+2 S/N 12293 (Gone but not forgotten)
1967 230 SL 4-spd (Currently on CPR)