Rear end seals

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

t walgamuth

Post by t walgamuth »

Wow, thanks for the info about the water pump. Its a bit daunting. AIK, mine was not leaking so I am tempted to leave it alone.

In the only book I have 250w is recommended. I think it may be a TDF book though so the pf may not call for that.

Anybody have the dope on the steel rings around the top of the cylinder liners?

Tom W
tom walgamuth
pf coupe #1421
tyang

Post by tyang »

t walgamuth wrote:Wow, thanks for the info about the water pump. Its a bit daunting. AIK, mine was not leaking so I am tempted to leave it alone.

In the only book I have 250w is recommended. I think it may be a TDF book though so the pf may not call for that.

Anybody have the dope on the steel rings around the top of the cylinder liners?

Tom W
Hi Tom,

250Wt was recommended in the 250GT/E manual as well, so your diff would use 250wt as well.

No idea on the rings. My boss is out of town, so I can't ask him until he returns next week.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
t walgamuth

Post by t walgamuth »

Thanks, Tom.
tom walgamuth
pf coupe #1421
whturner

Re: thoughts on axle oil

Post by whturner »

steve lapp wrote:250 weight oil is not so common in rural Ontario - and I see in these posts, folks using other weights. Can one use SAE85/95 in the rear axle of a 330? Did Ferrari use the 250 because they assumed you would drive at 145 mph all day, and the oil would be 220F?

Drive it or it dies (as I eagerly await front end parts).

Cheers
Can one use SAE85/95 in the rear axle of a 330?
To answer your question - yes, I am, and the Ferrari mechanic who rebuilt it installed it.

I think the relevant question is: what lube would Ferrari have recommended if the modern lubes had been available at the time the car was made?
But I suspect that whichever way you go won't cause any problems, if everything else is done right.

Cheers
Warren[/b]
330 GT Series II sn 10069
t walgamuth

Post by t walgamuth »

My question was prompted by leaking after installing new seals, so I was wondering if using the 250w lube would help.

Tom W
tom walgamuth
pf coupe #1421
whturner

Post by whturner »

Hi Tom:

Speaking from long experience in viscous flow, a different viscosity will change the rate of flow, not stop or start it!
Other factors like compatibility with the seal material can eventually cause a leak, as well as the obvious possibilities of bad seals or installation.
In my case, soon after overhaul, the pinion seal became totally dislodged. Now that was a leak. It was a bad seal.
If it were my car, I would drive it for a bit, watching it closely, and you have a good chance of the same result as Tom Y.

Cheers and good luck
Warren
330 GT Series II sn 10069
t walgamuth

Post by t walgamuth »

Thanks for the comments guys.

Tom W
tom walgamuth
pf coupe #1421
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Hi Tom Wal,

Have you tried a flange sealant on these two parts? I use Locktite 518 on both faces of Part A and on the back side of Part B.

john

PF Coupe
t walgamuth

Post by t walgamuth »

Not yet!

Tom W
tom walgamuth
pf coupe #1421
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

John - What coating did you use on your hub parts? Are they painted or powder coated? In any case they look great.
Tom Wilson - Series III 250 GTE, SN 4247 GT
Curator of the 250 GTE Register
http://www.250GTE.com
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Tom Wilson wrote:John - What coating did you use on your hub parts? Are they painted or powder coated? In any case they look great.
Hi Tom Wilson,

I covered the parts with one good coat of epoxy primer and two coats of black paint. Both paint and epoxy are PPG products I bought in gallon. I forget the designations. These parts were originally painted (and badly I might add) so I followed the original path.

Well, saying that I followed the original path is inaccurate because from the looks of it the factory just sprayed one coat of black over the unfinished parts, probably not worrying about surface prep. There was no primer on any of the parts.

john

PF Coupe
t walgamuth

Post by t walgamuth »

Well, that all looks grand!

Tom W
tom walgamuth
pf coupe #1421
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

Thanks - They looked gray in the first photo and I was wondering why they were not black! These things sure look good when they are not buried under a 1/2 inch of grease and mud.
Tom Wilson - Series III 250 GTE, SN 4247 GT
Curator of the 250 GTE Register
http://www.250GTE.com
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

The gray color in the first photo is naked metal. I had just bead blasted them when I took this picture.
PF Coupe