air filter plaque question

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Post Reply
dick sands
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 5:32 pm
Location: redwood city, ca

air filter plaque question

Post by dick sands » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:34 pm

I have a new air filter plaque. What, if anything, goes in the type and replacement cartridge areas on it?
dick sands, 365gt 2+2

User avatar
TOMKIZER
Posts: 412
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:51 pm
Location: Québec City

Post by TOMKIZER » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:19 pm

Hi Dick,
Here's whats on my air filter plate - original, I think. I've had the car since 1985. It was on it when I bought it. Previous owners appeared to have no interest in that sort of thing, so I would assume it was original, not replaced. Mine is an Italian version with the three Fispa cloth filters.
Tom Kizer

It says TIPO 223108 and CARTUCCIA RICAMBIO L1 2776

Image
So many sidewalk cafés - so little time left.
1969 365 GT 2+2 S/N 12293 (Gone but not forgotten)
1967 230 SL 4-spd (Currently on CPR)

dick sands
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 5:32 pm
Location: redwood city, ca

air filter plaque

Post by dick sands » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:45 pm

Thank you, Tom, mine is 12629, so we are not that far apart. Funny thing is I have the boxes the filters came in from Universal Filter Italiana, and the number on the box is 28.932.00. I wonder what''s up with that. My three filters are oval with brown furry paper(maybe) with blue rubber top and bottom. I'm going to go with your designations being as they are original numbers and our cars are only a few hundred apart.
dick sands, 365gt 2+2

User avatar
TOMKIZER
Posts: 412
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:51 pm
Location: Québec City

Post by TOMKIZER » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:30 pm

Here's a page from the old faf (Ferrari Alfa Fiat) catalog from the 1980s. It lists the FISPA (original) filters (LI numbers) for the vintage Ferraris along with their sizes and FRAM throw-away replacement filters for some.

UFI, to my knowledge, was not a vintage Ferrari supplier but I could be wrong - I often am.

I can provide a high resolution image of this page if you send me a PM with your email address.

Tom Kizer

Image
So many sidewalk cafés - so little time left.
1969 365 GT 2+2 S/N 12293 (Gone but not forgotten)
1967 230 SL 4-spd (Currently on CPR)

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
Posts: 1206
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2004 5:53 pm

Post by Rudy van Daalen Wetters » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:15 pm

Tom K,

Would you know if the rivets securing that plate are
the original size? They seem big. Just curious.

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 4001
1966 330 GT s/n 8705

User avatar
TOMKIZER
Posts: 412
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:51 pm
Location: Québec City

Post by TOMKIZER » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:24 pm

Hi Rudy,
No, they are not correct. When I rebuilt the engine in the mid 90s, I repainted the cover and before I realized how important the rivets could be, I drilled them out and replaced them with pop rivets. I've only got the old faf catalog because that's how I learned what was supposed to be correct and it's where I bought parts. I'm a little smarter now and have access to better information. Those rivets probably cost me 1/2 point in Toronto last Thursday. I'll know in a couple of weeks when I get the score sheets. I probably should buy some correct ones from Restoration Specialties and change them. Thanks for bringing them to my attention.
Tom Kizer
So many sidewalk cafés - so little time left.
1969 365 GT 2+2 S/N 12293 (Gone but not forgotten)
1967 230 SL 4-spd (Currently on CPR)

User avatar
330GT
Posts: 1565
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 9:30 am
Location: Seattle, WA
Contact:

Post by 330GT » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:01 pm

TOMKIZER wrote:Hi Rudy,
No, they are not correct. When I rebuilt the engine in the mid 90s, I repainted the cover and before I realized how important the rivets could be, I drilled them out and replaced them with pop rivets. I've only got the old faf catalog because that's how I learned what was supposed to be correct and it's where I bought parts. I'm a little smarter now and have access to better information. Those rivets probably cost me 1/2 point in Toronto last Thursday. I'll know in a couple of weeks when I get the score sheets. I probably should buy some correct ones from Restoration Specialties and change them. Thanks for bringing them to my attention.
Tom Kizer
Tom, you may have problems in that the original rivets (assuming they are the like the 330 GT ones) were pretty small.
Image
I probably have a couple of extra rivets floating around that I can mail to you if you want.
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
Posts: 1206
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2004 5:53 pm

Post by Rudy van Daalen Wetters » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:14 pm

Hi Tom,

Ok, that makes sense. Mine are incorrect as well then.
In addition to using the incorrect rivets, my plate was
mounted upside down on the cover. Go figure...

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 4001
1966 330 GT s/n 8705

A.D.
Posts: 172
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:52 am
Location: INDIA

Re: air filter plaque question

Post by A.D. » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:50 am

Hi om

Could you PM me a copy?

I can then search for the air filter by size.

Thanks in advance

A.D.
TOMKIZER wrote:Here's a page from the old faf (Ferrari Alfa Fiat) catalog from the 1980s. It lists the FISPA (original) filters (LI numbers) for the vintage Ferraris along with their sizes and FRAM throw-away replacement filters for some.

UFI, to my knowledge, was not a vintage Ferrari supplier but I could be wrong - I often am.

I can provide a high resolution image of this page if you send me a PM with your email address.

Tom Kizer
A.D.
GT 365 2 + 2
S NR 12171

User avatar
330GT
Posts: 1565
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 9:30 am
Location: Seattle, WA
Contact:

Re: air filter plaque question

Post by 330GT » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:54 am

A.D. wrote:Hi Tom

...I can then search for the air filter by size.

Thanks in advance

A.D.
The size from that page for the 365 2+2 is 6 3/8" (ID) x 7 1/2" (OD) x 2 1/4" (H).
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605

Post Reply