Foam Carving Technique

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

mikemeade

Foam Carving Technique

Post by mikemeade »

Tom,
I caught a program on the discovery channel this weekend about custom motorcylce construction. The show went into great length about how the seat was made. Interestingly enough, the tool that the upholsterer used to shaped to foam looked like an electric carving knife. It looked like it made the shaping very easy. Have you tried a tool like this on your latex foam?
Ruedi

Post by Ruedi »

I saw a show with the same theme. It was a professional upholsterer who made a seat for "Jesse James" motorcycles. He first used an electric carving knive and then an angle grinder to smoothen out the ridges and dimples. Tom wasn't far off using a rotary sander.
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Guys,

The foam this guy was using is a lot stiffer than what I'm using, so cutting it with an electric carving knife works pretty well. I use the same knife to get a rough shape, but it's not very accurate with the shaping because the foam deforms so easily. I's imagine the grinder would be too coarse to work with the soft foam as well, and would probably snatch my cushion and shoot it clear across the shop if I wasn't careful!

Tom