getting black "crinkle" finish...

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Steve Meltzer

getting black "crinkle" finish...

Post by Steve Meltzer »

would like to get that mild crinkle finish back on the heat shields of the 330 GTC. I think you can do this with black spray paint followed by using a heat lamp to dry them. Anyone ever done this? Other techniques? I was gonna tell my wife I was making some "funny brownies" and then sneak in the shields...would this work? (not the deception, but the low temp baking!). s
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
TOMKIZER

Post by TOMKIZER »

Steve,
On my heat shields and on my valve covers, as well, I used VHT Black Wrinkle Finish paint. After stripping and cleaning the parts, I did a final wipe-down with lacquer thinner, let it dry, then pre-heated them in my barbeque (outside) to 200 degrees F, then turned the barbeque off (very important). I removed them, followed the instructions on the can carefully and gave them three relatively heavy coats (not enough to run), then put them back in the barbeque and closed the lid to let them dry in a warm invironment. After about 10 to 15 minutes (I couldn't resist peeking), the wrinkling started and when they were dry in about 30 minutes, they were beautiful.
My wife didn't complain because everything was done outside and the barbeque didn't even stink afterwards.
Tom Kizer
So many sidewalk cafés - so little time left.
1969 365 GT 2+2 S/N 12293 (Gone but not forgotten)
1967 230 SL 4-spd (Currently on CPR)
gsjohnson

Post by gsjohnson »

I use the oven in the kitchen. It always riles up the wife when I use her oven for car crap though
GS
1965 330 GT 2+2 Interim
S/N 6997
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

thanx for the advice, esp on the bbq. if there's any hope of getting a piece, i'd better keep the peace (and leave the oven out of this one!) s
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Steve,

I've found the VHT wrinkle to be the best available in a spray can. The coarseness depends on how heavy you spray it on, and how hot you have the pieces before and after you apply. If you're in a hot climate, like Texas, you can simply put the pieces in the sun before and after you apply the paint.

Good luck!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

Point well taken...it's been plenty hot here, so the direct sun method should work well. thanx again to everyone. s
steve meltzer,
Chris Coios

Post by Chris Coios »

The heat lamp method works very well, if you plan it right. It also depends on the nature of the part. For a cam cover as example, you can prepare a rotating platform using a board on a lazy-Susan bearing. This allows you to stand in one position and rotate the object as you spray each side and each direction. You can set up 6 heat lamps (use safety cage housings) arrayed evenly around the cam cover at a safe distance to briefly pre-warm the cam cover on the platform. Take it away to spray the paint and when you are done, return the part to the heat lamps. In 10 minutes, the paint will suddenly wrinkle. You can leave it a few minutes longer to bake and then close the lights or take the part away. This works beautifully for a casting that has some size, thickness and mass like cam covers and timing chain covers. The method does not work well for small castings and thin sheet parts (like spark plug wire tubes). The smaller/thinner parts do not offer enough of a heat sink. The part and the paint heat up too much and too fast. The paint will first wrinkle and then in an instant melt again, unevenly, into a gloss finish.

For small parts and sheet parts, an oven is best, at a controlled temperature of no more than about 200 degrees (experiment). However, the paint smell is strong and if you use the oven, the odor will drive you out of the kitchen for the day. Grounds for divorce. I’ve never tried a heat shield with heat lamps.

It takes multiple heavy coats sprayed in cross and directions to place enough paint to wrinkle. You have to apply the paint at an even rate to keep it from running, and wait a few minutes between coats to allow some set time, again to help prevent runs.

Some wrinkle paints (depending on thickness applied) will give a uniform pebble grain texture and others a more linear, grain pattern.
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

Post by Rudy van Daalen Wetters »

Steve,

I can appreciate your vibrant expression of diplomacy...

Best,

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 4001
1966 330 GT s/n 8705
330GT

Post by 330GT »

I used a double hot plate with a thick sheet of aluminum on top to even out the heat. This worked well, even for parts like the spark plug tubes.

See http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari/W ... inting.htm for the whole process.
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
mdempsey

Post by mdempsey »

I have a friend who used the kitchen oven to do a home powder coat product. It soaked a stinky smell into the oven. He now has an oven in the shop and the wife got a new oven. go figure. Not sure if the new oven kept the peace to get a peice!
mdempsey

Post by mdempsey »

PS this really was a friend, not me.
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

thank you all for your advice...I used the hot Texas sun to heat up the heat shields, sprayed with the Krylon brand of "wrinkle paint" 3X about 10 minutes apart and viola (or something like that) they turned out well. My car is far from concours, or I would have stripped them completely, but even with just a good brushing and thorough wipe down with lacquer thinner, they look pretty good. The gas grill would have been my second option....no way was I gonna chance it in the house! thanx again. s
steve meltzer,
Lowell

Specks Everywhere

Post by Lowell »

I did the cam covers and stuff for my 330 (using the hot
plate mentioned by Kerry) in the basement of our old
house in Seattle. I probably now have a wrinkle coating
in my chest. Certainly the basement walls and floors had
specks of black everywhere over a very large area.
Lowell Brown
1966 Gold 330 2+2 Series II
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

Post by Rudy van Daalen Wetters »

Steve,

"Viola" is the girl nobody dated in high school. "Voila!" is the
expression you are looking for your satisfaction of a job well done.

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 4001
1966 330 GT s/n 8705
330GT

Re: Specks Everywhere

Post by 330GT »

Lowell wrote:I did the cam covers and stuff for my 330 (using the hot
plate mentioned by Kerry) in the basement of our old
house in Seattle. I probably now have a wrinkle coating
in my chest. Certainly the basement walls and floors had
specks of black everywhere over a very large area.
Lowell, you forgot to mention that the hot plate tried to set fire to the picnic table you had it on!
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605