From F Chat:

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Michael Bayer

From F Chat:

Post by Michael Bayer »

Gentlemen: This was my response to an F Chat whine about the dissolution of the Dino community. If anything this Gang is driving more, having more fun and, as the spring gathering showed, getting even closer. We owe Tom and Kerry much for keeping us together and focused.

John posted: "I've noticed posting dropping off abit regarding all models. A lot has already been said with previous posts but who cares lets post it again if it crops up. Dino prices have doubled in the last couple of years and maybe thats brought in a new type of buyer thats not so .. interested."
Gentlemen: The MONEY is the undoing of this community as it was in the later 80s. When the cars were cheep, guys used the cars as intended and developed social networks for driving company and wrenching advice. When the cars' paper values skyrocketed, things that used to be shared or given to others suddenly were sold to the highest bidder (remember it was not so before it became all about the money), conversations on driving and maintainence dried up to be replaced with valuation discussions or worse yet vaulation predictions, and their little beauties became investments to be safely locked in the garage or flipped to the highest bidder. When all this tops out as it did in the 90s many will look back to that time when Dinos were dirt cheep, no one wanted them and they were for a very short time, really really fun to own. Want to rediscover that atmosphere of passion and community? Spend some time with the owners of (seemingly) unloved Ferraris: GT4s, 4 Headlighted 330s or 412s . The MONEY has not undone the passion for them, they are driving the heck out of their cars having the times of their lives. M
Michael J. Bayer
330GT s/n 9727
365GTC4 s/n 14943
Dino Spider s/n 1193
Art S.

Post by Art S. »

Nice post Michael. I think you can add Fiat Dinos to that list.

Regards,

Art S.
1965 330 2+2 series 2 7919
330GT

Post by 330GT »

Several months ago, a local Dino 246 owner was looking at his insurance coverage. After talking to another Dino owner, he found that he should up the coverage a lot. He mentioned it to his wife and she said that they couldn't afford to drive a car worth that much.

They came out to see my 330 and find out if that model might be a suitable replacement. I haven't seen them since, so don't know if they sold the car.
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
Jimmy Chen Shiba

coverage

Post by Jimmy Chen Shiba »

Probably, I am the naive one for not comprehending that people increased their coverage reflecting current market values. No wonder you drive less and less as the values go north. Meanwhile, I do not have such coverages for my F-cars here in Japan as of yet. Nevertheless, I do take them out as commuters regularly to keep the cars happy. Jimmy
1969 Dino 246 GT Tipo L #0508; 1973 365 GT4 BB #17585; 1970 365 GTB4 Daytona #13745; 1966 275 GTB 3carb all alloy longnose #08191; and few others
Dr. Ian Levy

From F Chat

Post by Dr. Ian Levy »

Spot on Michael & very nicely put
Regards
Ian L
Manchester
UK
1972 365 GTC4 s/n 15989
http://www.ferrari365gtc4.co.uk/
sam231

Post by sam231 »

Well said Michael. Funny, to most of us who REALLY enjoy Ferraris for what they are and represent, value is not even a factor.

I have a friend who owns several Ferraris, all of which are quite "valuable". He drives the heck out of them every chance he gets. Last time I visited his garage the Cal Spyder was covered with mud. He had been out the night before at dinner party and it poured making some of the back roads in CT a mess . No problem, a quick wash and it was good as new. He did not bother to rush over to check the range in the FML Price Guide.

Sam
'72 365 GTC/4 # 14953; ex-owner 330 GT 2+2 # 8025 :>(
tyang

Post by tyang »

Well put Michael and thank you.

I always welcome new members to this site, and it sounds like we can invite another lost soul to our ranks. If we allow a 4 cylinder car among us, I don't see why we can't welcome a V-6!

...but seriously, regardless of the prices, I think we should continue to recruit people that share our passion in old cars, and the need to care for them. Even some of the guys who can afford to buy a Vintage Ferrari at today's prices are gear heads at heart. They just need to be shown the way!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Admiral Goodwrench

Post by Admiral Goodwrench »

" If we allow a four cylinder car among us..."

Dear Tom,

Thank you!

Best regards,
Robert
500 Mondial SII 0556(0446)/MD
tyang

Post by tyang »

I thought you would resemble that remark!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

Post by Rudy van Daalen Wetters »

I could not care any less what my Ferraris are worth. It doesn't
matter, they will not be sold. What matters to me, is that they are
in the garage, ready to go, whenever the hell I feel like driving them.

That's what really matters to me!

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 4001
1966 330 GT s/n 8705
jcwconsult

Post by jcwconsult »

Cars deteriorate when they just sit in a garage. It is important to drive cars regularly, for all sorts of valid mechanical reasons. If you keep your car properly insured, and a tragedy happens, you will get paid enough to replace the car.

So, unless you want your car to be a 99 point trailer queen forever that sooner or later you cannot drive because many systems become unreliable or unsafe -- drive 'em.
Jim Walker
365 GT 2+2 #12451