Cavallino Classic 2009

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

mdempsey

Re: Cavallino Classic 2009

Post by mdempsey »

Actually every time I get something from Tom S. I think it is free. Packed in an old diaper box with no bill. Then, like 4 weeks later, an invoice shows up written on a cocktail napkin. Such a tease......The Admiral can expect an invoice in about a month or so. Also on a napkin.
Admiral Goodwrench

Post by Admiral Goodwrench »

shaughnessy wrote:Admiral Phillips is my hero!!! 48 years of ownership and got his car together before like so many collectors that are 6 feet under before the project (baby) is ever completed. Great Job! Great Spirit ! Great Smile! Great wife (forget about brian, nothing good to say there) and I will donate the pliers I lent you for this show (again).
A gift (from Shaughnessy the Yang crowd is in disbelief)

This will be my contribution to your 48 year effort!

And continuous BEST of Show Prizes
Please keep sharing your car Love to see it at Medowbrook in August

GREAT JOB MY FRIEND!!!
Dear Tom,

First, thank you for the gift of the unobtanium pliers. Such munificence is totally within character of the generous nature of your dealings with the Ferraristi living with the era of the magnificent Ferraris. For the record, clearly the car could not have won the top honors on both coasts with a deficient tool bag, and Tom has loaned the missing pliers for both events so that David's tool set on loan to me was complete. I too am aware of too many who are no longer with us who had planned on eventually getting around to it on their project cars, but it took many helping hands to finish the job, all the while being extra careful to avoid the charge of "over restoration".

Second, I am totally unaccustomed to the appellation "Hero", I am a mere mechanic and simply the current custodian of a superb example of mechanical and sculptural masterpiece.

Third, I plan on showing the car at least three more times this year, at Reading on 17 May, at the FCA National - Elkhart Lake 29 July to 2 August, and the Milwaukee Masterpiece 23 August. More trophies would be nice but I would rather be known as the guy who introduced some of the newer Ferrari enthusiasts to the real world of mid fifties racing machinery, for the story of racing back in the day is far removed from today at the track.

Fourth, Tom thanks for agreeing with me about "Great Wife", I am one of those few lucky guys truly blessed with an incredible life partner - my real Testa Rossa!

Fifth, Bryan, we are both irrelevant now that your superb offspring are fast growing up.

Sixth, Tom, my friend, these old eyes cannot read scribles on napkins...

Best regards and enjoy this shot at Mar-a-Lago, even if I won only half of the number of trophies that the Delahaye in the background garnered.

Robert
Attachments
DSC_1077, Mar-a-Lago, 1-25-09s .jpg
DSC_1077, Mar-a-Lago, 1-25-09s .jpg (215.53 KiB) Viewed 9712 times
Robert
500 Mondial SII 0556(0446)/MD
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

We all hold high respect for pros like Ottis, Sicard, Wallace, etc., but it’s especially moving to see an important car get the precise reincarnation in the hands of one of the boys. I can appreciate Tom’s sentiments.

john
PF Coupe
tyang

Post by tyang »

As I learn what is involved to take a car to Cavallino, I was so happy to see the Admiral, his wife and Bryan accepting one of the many awards they received at the Cavallino awards banquet. 48 years with this car, restoring it, winning at Pebble, and now Cavallino. Pretty cool.

The big one, that I wish I could be there for is the FCA National where the car will get a chance to be back on the track. It was a mechanical failure at this track that precipitated the Mondial changing hands to the Admiral's ownership. The story will come full circle.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
klv

Post by klv »

Hello all

Kelly and I landed back in the UK after spending a few extra days contributing to the economy of Florida! Still trying to get back to the right time zone now.

I must echo the congratulations to the Admiral (and his wife and Bryan) for their excellent result at Cavallino Classic, as well as being a true gentleman! We had a enjoyable time, met up with some great people and saw some fantasic cars - what else could you want from a holiday! Thanks to Tom Y for the tip about going to Key West. We only got to spend a day there (this time) but really enjoyed it. Now to start planning for Pebble Beach...
Kelly La Velle & Andrew Stevens
365gtc/4

Post by 365gtc/4 »

[/quote]
Dear Tom,

First, thank you for the gift of the unobtanium pliers. Such munificence is totally within character of the generous nature of your dealings with the Ferraristi living with the era of the magnificent Ferraris. For the record, clearly the car could not have won the top honors on both coasts with a deficient tool bag, and Tom has loaned the missing pliers for both events so that David's tool set on loan to me was complete. I too am aware of too many who are no longer with us who had planned on eventually getting around to it on their project cars, but it took many helping hands to finish the job, all the while being extra careful to avoid the charge of "over restoration".

Second, I am totally unaccustomed to the appellation "Hero", I am a mere mechanic and simply the current custodian of a superb example of mechanical and sculptural masterpiece.

Third, I plan on showing the car at least three more times this year, at Reading on 17 May, at the FCA National - Elkhart Lake 29 July to 2 August, and the Milwaukee Masterpiece 23 August. More trophies would be nice but I would rather be known as the guy who introduced some of the newer Ferrari enthusiasts to the real world of mid fifties racing machinery, for the story of racing back in the day is far removed from today at the track.

Fourth, Tom thanks for agreeing with me about "Great Wife", I am one of those few lucky guys truly blessed with an incredible life partner - my real Testa Rossa!

Fifth, Bryan, we are both irrelevant now that your superb offspring are fast growing up.

Sixth, Tom, my friend, these old eyes cannot read scribles on napkins...

Best regards and enjoy this shot at Mar-a-Lago, even if I won only half of the number of trophies that the Delahaye in the background garnered.

Robert[/quote]
Admiral
Bravo, you are an inspiration. Hopefully many more people can admire your car and appraciate what the Ferrari legend was built on.
Thanks for sharing.
John
John
Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with Windows.
Admiral Goodwrench

Dear Yangsters,

The attached photo is one of the reasons I need more room in my garage workshop! These are the awards from Saturday.

Tom, let us hope that the car does not have a long memory of that fateful DNF day at Elkhart Lake Road America 500 on 13 September 1959 when the differential seized at about the 200 mile point of the race.

Best regards,
Attachments
Cavallino awards.jpg
Cavallino awards.jpg (220.75 KiB) Viewed 9364 times
Robert
TOMKIZER

Post by TOMKIZER »

mdempsey wrote:Actually every time I get something from Tom S. I think it is free. Packed in an old diaper box with no bill. Then, like 4 weeks later, an invoice shows up written on a cocktail napkin. Such a tease......The Admiral can expect an invoice in about a month or so. Also on a napkin.
I know exactly how you feel. I ordered some plug sockets from him, received the sockets before he could possibly have received my check, let alone cleared it, then got another set of sockets two weeks later which I had to send back (my concience wouldn't let me keep them). Wait-a-minute ! Maybe I paid for both sets in the price of the first set and his concience got to bothering him.......No, that can't be it.

Maybe someday I'll have the pleasure of thanking him in person for the service to mankind that he provides. But, at my age, for me to live long enough for that to happen, he'll have to start parting-out human bodies as well as Ferrari bodies.

Tom Kizer
So many sidewalk cafés - so little time left.
1969 365 GT 2+2 S/N 12293 (Gone but not forgotten)
1967 230 SL 4-spd (Currently on CPR)
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

he'll have to start parting-out human bodies as well as Ferrari bodies.
Don't give Tom any ideas! If this retirement thing doesn't work out, he may start taking that seriously...
Tom Wilson - Series III 250 GTE, SN 4247 GT
Curator of the 250 GTE Register
http://www.250GTE.com
klv

Post by klv »

Just a closing note on the Cavallino Classic. The UK Club's glossy magazine came out in the post today and it has a great overhead cover shot of the 400 SAs on the upper lawn at the Concours taken by Keith Bluemel. In the top corner is none other than yours truly and Tom Yang discussing something with a guy sitting down - who if I recall correctly was involved with the restoration of Peter Kalikow's 400 Cabriolet? :) I'll try and get a copy for you Tom!

Cheers

Andrew S.
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Andrew,

I look forward to seeing it!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
365gtc/4

Post by 365gtc/4 »

Please post a copy here.
Thanks
John
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi All,

Keith Bluemel was kind enough to send us a picture to post on this site. Andrew and I were talking Mark A., Peter's Kalikow's car guy.

Tom
Attachments
Cavallino 09 photo K. Bluemel
Cavallino 09 photo K. Bluemel
cav09_9.jpg (295.63 KiB) Viewed 8977 times
'63 330 America #5053
klv

Post by klv »

We scrub up well sometimes - don't we Tom! :D
Admiral Goodwrench

Dear Yangsters,

I have asked Bryan to post a similar message on Ferrarichat.

This past Friday I received a package from Jeff Allison, Editor of the FCA magazine Prancing Horse containing issue # 171 with the cover photo of my little blue car, my live testa rossa, and me. It was a delightful surprise as I knew there was going to be an article but had no idea about the cover. I send my thanks to all the Yangsters who have posted words of encouragement and kudos over the past several years and particularly those who helped push us up to the final three line up for awards at Pebble Beach. The targeted end result of the conservation/restoration project was to bring the little blue car back to as close to original as we could, and when I look at it today I am still awed by the outcome, and now apparently nine of the top FCA Concours judges agree that it is a 100 point car. I think one Ferrichatter summed it up the best when he said :
"Your dad's got it all Bryan. The car, the girl, the infectious smile, the awards and admiration of so many tifosi. He is living the Ferrari deam. And what a dream it is. He is so obviously enjoying the ride. It's just a great, great feel good story."
(He did leave off Bryan and Elizabeth who have given us two precious grandsons.) In some ways I am a little saddened by having finished the job, for seeing and working on the intricacies of that jewel of a motor and the innards of the non-synchromesh limited slip transaxle has been a true pleasure for me. I do plan on competing in two more big Concours events, the FCA National and the Milwaukee Masterpiece), after which I will probably go to shows in the “display” category as I am not certain what to do with all the bling I already have received from the past four shows. Anytime any of you see me and the car, feel free to ask questions, and be prepared to hear out an old sailor and his car sea stories. Who knows, some of them may be true!

Beast regards,
Robert