Fuel Pump Problem?

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi GS,

First of all, add to your signature what year and series your car is, so we don't have to scroll up to see what car you need help with. My memory is not that good!

As far as your pump is concerned. You made doubly sure you don't have voltage to the pump? There's a lot of grease and dirt back there, so make sure you have a good connection. The next step would be to get a long test lead and run it from the battery to the fuel pump to see if the pump will work with the hot lead. If your pump works, you have half the battle won. Make sure there are no fuel leaks back there before you attach the hot lead, as there will be a small spark. As always, keep a fire extinguisher handy.

Your car has a rocker switch for the fuel pump labeled "A?" How hard is it to get to the switch to see if there is voltage getting it?

Kerry, or someone with a 330 should be able to identify which fuse is to your fuel pump.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
330GT

Post by 330GT »

gsjohnson wrote:Okay, the test light shows that I am NOT getting any power to the electric fuel pump. I believe it was andrew who stated the ignition switch maybe creating this problem and to check the contacts at the ignition switch. Can someone give me more detailed information on this? I'm thinking that it would help to be able to recognize the fuel pump wire. Any hints there?

Additionally, my fuses all appear to be good. Is there even a fuse for the fuel pump? If so, can someone lead me towards which one?...As the script is in Italian and gives me zero clues. Any help there would also be appreciated.
Get a copy of the owner's manual. There is a wiring diagram in the back. You can either register with the Ferrari Owner's Site and download a copy there, or register with my 330 GT registry (www.330gt.com) and have access to all of the owner's, parts and service manuals for your car.

Yes, there is a fuse for the fuel pump.

Your car should have the 16 fuse panel (2x8). The fuse is the bottom one on the left (as facing the fuse panel). If your brake lights work, that fuse is good.

If you have the 12 fuse panel (2x6), it is the 5th one down (second from bottom) on the right side. If your wipers work, that fuse is good.

In both cases, power comes from the ignition switch, to the fuse, to the A switch, then to the pump and indicator light. Not much can go wrong. Does the indicator (purple) light in the tach light up? If so, everything through the switch is working. If not, either no power to the switch or it is bad.

BTW, the car is 6997, a 330 interim (4HL/5 speed) car.
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
gsjohnson

Post by gsjohnson »

Okay, I found the problem. The connection behind the A switch was bad. Repaired it and it started right up. Thanks to everyone who helped me thru this.

Called Parker Hall on Friday. What a nice guy. He is sending me his catalog. Thanks for the referral Kerry.

I still don't see where the washer bag should mount. I'm thinking that it may go between the battery and the fuse box cover, but I don't know for sure because the battery hold down setup is a hodge podge of non factory garbage.
GS
1965 330 GT 2+2 Interim
S/N 6997
gsjohnson

Post by gsjohnson »

tyang wrote:Hi GS,

First of all, add to your signature what year and series your car is, so we don't have to scroll up to see what car you need help with. My memory is not that good!

As far as your pump is concerned. You made doubly sure you don't have voltage to the pump? There's a lot of grease and dirt back there, so make sure you have a good connection. The next step would be to get a long test lead and run it from the battery to the fuel pump to see if the pump will work with the hot lead. If your pump works, you have half the battle won. Make sure there are no fuel leaks back there before you attach the hot lead, as there will be a small spark. As always, keep a fire extinguisher handy.

Your car has a rocker switch for the fuel pump labeled "A?" How hard is it to get to the switch to see if there is voltage getting it?

Kerry, or someone with a 330 should be able to identify which fuse is to your fuel pump.

Tom
Sorry about the lack of model F-car in my sig. I have corrected it now-Thank you
GS
1965 330 GT 2+2 Interim
S/N 6997
tyang

Post by tyang »

Sorry about the lack of model F-car in my sig. I have corrected it now-Thank you
No Problem. It makes helping guys fix their cars without having to ask what car they have!

I'm glad we got your car fixed without too much trouble!

Happy motoring!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
365gtc/4

Post by 365gtc/4 »

GS
That's great. I did enjoy our little outing with the 2 Daves, but of course it would have been better with you in your F car instead of that German thing! Hopefully we can do it again next time I am in LA which will maybe in Feb next year.
Cheers
John
John
Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with Windows.
gsjohnson

Post by gsjohnson »

It was nice meeting you John. Yea, too bad about the fuel pump, but it's fixed now. I hated to drive my Carrera as a substitute for sure.
GS
1965 330 GT 2+2 Interim
S/N 6997
GrigioArgento

Re: Fuel Pump Problem?

Post by GrigioArgento »

Kerry wrote, re: windshield washer bags:
On Series 2 cars, it mounts on ears on the battery holddown, between the battery and fuse cover.
Here is a picture from a 1964 German magazine of an early series 1 car:
http://www.330gt.com/MagazineArticles/MR1964_5.gif
As you can see, it is mounted on brackets near the brake boosters. It is also a different style bag than most I've seen (filler to top, not on the face). Note the German style wing nut on the battery hold-down. This is not an interim car though.
And just to show that nothing is firm for Ferrari's:
http://www.330gt.com/MagazineArticles/M ... 6403_6.gif
This is from a 3/64 French magazine with the washer bag hanging near the rear booster, parallel to the firewall. Note, you can see the fuse box nut fairly well.

(I'm new to the board, so this reply is years late ....)
Interestingly, in the German magazine photo, although the bag is hung from the brake boosters, there also appear to be hooks on the edge of the hood opening, in front of the rear fuel filter, where I would expect the bag to be.