Moderators: 330GT, abrent

oldfart3

DIY Lussos

Post by oldfart3 »

It appears that there are now three of us doing our own Lusso restorations:
John Vardanian
John Vivieros
John Tarr
We're separated by the breadth of the continent, so this Forum is indispensible in sharing info.
I've been remiss in participating for the years I've been lurking, but have mainly been welding, panel beating, patch panelling, leading, filling, and sanding, so haven't had much info to share other than possibly my favorite type of dust mask or sanding block.
Now that I've beginning reassembly, I may be able to contribute more.

After a fruitless search for replacement shim washers for adjusting end play of the outer suspension pivots, I'll be machining my own from some thick walled bronze tubing from McMaster-Carr, and can probably supply some info (or maybe even some parts) about that process.
If anybody has any leads on a replacement master cylinder accordian boot, I'd appreciate it, as my search has thus far been fruitless.
John Tarr
tyang

Post by tyang »

Do you have to be named John to own a DIY Lusso?

I'm happy to host a forum for your guys to share information.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
JAV

Post by JAV »

Hi John!

What is it with John's and Lusso's?

I've gained so much from this site and John Vardanian has been a huge help! I always feel like I get more than I give so I understand your desire to contribute becuase I feel the same way.

If I can ever be of assistance- don't hesitate to ask. It's nice to know someone's got our backs - so to speak.
John Viveiros
1964 250 GTL
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Folks probably frown up on my dismantling a perfectly good car, but I tell you, it's been a blast so far. Sometimes I think of the finishing line and dread it. Suppose, time will tell if this is real love or just infatuation.

john
PF Coupe
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

Post by Rudy van Daalen Wetters »

I think you have to have a penchant for taking things apart to own a Lusso. There's a certain commonality going on here and I am growing concerned...

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 4001
1966 330 GT s/n 8705
PSk

Post by PSk »

While I do not own a Lusso, I am restoring an Alfa Romeo 1750GTV and it is getting close to leading time, after replacing about 40% of the shell ... [here is one of the threads on it: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/car-res ... post208078].

What I would love is for Oldfart3 to do a bit of a step by step on this leading process ... and I would also love to see some before, progress and after shots of the bodywork ... love those.

All the best
Pete
PSk

Post by PSk »

PSk wrote:While I do not own a Lusso, I am restoring an Alfa Romeo 1750GTV and it is getting close to leading time, after replacing about 40% of the shell ... (here is one of the threads on it: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/car-res ... post208078).

What I would love is for Oldfart3 to do a bit of a step by step on this leading process ... and I would also love to see some before, progress and after shots of the bodywork ... love those.

All the best
Pete
Forgot to say thanks :-)

Pete
klv

Post by klv »

I think you've seen my 1750GTV rebuild pics Pete! I can only endorse his comments that the 'before & after' shots are always interesting and informative and an inspiriation for others going through the process!

Andrew
(missing my 1750 back home in Australia...)
Kelly La Velle & Andrew Stevens
JAV

Post by JAV »

John Vardanian wrote:Folks probably frown up on my dismantling a perfectly good car, but I tell you, it's been a blast so far. Sometimes I think of the finishing line and dread it. Suppose, time will tell if this is real love or just infatuation.

john
I find it very interesting that, though seperated by hundreds of miles, with no prior knowledge of each other and likely very different back grounds, we all end up on remarkably similar and rare paths.

I can't say I'm "restoring" my Lusso to the degree that the other John V and John Tarr are... my goal was much less ambitious. I just wanted to catch up on defferred maintenance and get the car presentable and road worthy. Most of my car, like John Vardanians was perfectly fine. But, I'm finding it very hard to stop, and leave well enough alone. Especially when I see some of Johns pictures of a perfectly clean underbelly, or a meticulously disassembled transmission, or even perfectly plated hardware. I must be some sort of geek becuase that stuff is just eye candy to me.

As much as I love cars, the "process" can be very rewarding and addictive! I too relish, and dread, the car being done. I hope I can resist the urge to pull everything apart in one shot and make the experience last. My son gets quite upset with me becuase right now, he has football 6 days a week and I can't help but "tinker" in his absence. I'm all excited to show him my progress and he thinks I'm rubbing it in!

Another Geek!
John Viveiros
1964 250 GTL
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

You are doing fine John by making the car reliable and roadworthy first. Enjoy it for a few years as it is. Things have a way of finding their own course.

john
PF Coupe
oldfart3

DIY Lussos

Post by oldfart3 »

Seduction - that's what it is.......... John Vardanian and John Tarr have yielded. Hopefully, John Viveiros can resist.

John Vardianian's advice about making the car reliable and roadworthy and enjoying driving it is excellent, but it's a slippery slope.

My original intent when I got my Lusso was to do a little bit of restoration during the long, cold Gunnison winters, and drive my car during the summers----so----

The first winter, I had the radiator boiled out, recored (after finding lots of leaks with Stop Leak "repairs"), overhauled the brakes and front hubs, replaced the weatherstripping around the doors, and a bunch of other little stuff.

The second winter's projects included rebuilding the mechanical fuel pump, having the wheels rebuilt (polished, hubs replated, new spokes and nipples, trued, balanced, etc), redid the rear suspension, and went through the wiring. The last was occasioned by finding myself with a dead car due to a "total loss" electrical system from the main charging wire from the alternator to everything else burning through. It also occurred on a Sunday afternoon drive through the Gunnison River Canyon with no shoulder on my side and a steady stream of opposing traffic blocking access to the opposite shoulder.

The third winter was engine time. I decided that one of the reasons for owning a Ferrari V12 was to listen to it sing, and redlining a 40 year old engine without ensuring its mechanical integrity was idiotic, so I pulled the engine and trucked it off for a professional overhaul (which only took 15 months). It seemed irrational to put a "new" engine back in a tired old chassis, to I took EVERYTHING else removable off the chassis, mounted it on a rotisserie and had it abrasive blasted to bare metal.

The blasting, unfortunately, revealed a lot of rust, so the next 5 years have been devoted to excising the rusted metal, fabricating and welding in new, and surface restoration.

I've also rebuilt the transmission with new seals, bearings, shifter bushing, and synchros, and rebuilt the steering box.

It's now off the rotisserie (which is for sale, if anybody's interested), on jack stands, and I'm discovering the thousands of other little tasks and worn bits and pieces involved in reassembly.

Hopefully, the song of the V12 will again be echoing off the canyon walls by next summer.

John Tarr
330GT

Post by 330GT »

tyang wrote:Do you have to be named John to own a DIY Lusso?

Tom
If it means getting a Lusso, I'll change my name!
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Hi John Tarr,

At least it took you three years to delve into a complete teardown. Mine was supposed to be just a paint job. Only the plated trim was supposed to be removed from the car. But here we are...

john
PF Coupe
xs10shl

Post by xs10shl »

tyang wrote:Do you have to be named John to own a DIY Lusso?

Tom
I had to sell mine when the "John" Police arrived. It was about to get ugly . . .
gsjohnson

Post by gsjohnson »

I'd love to own a Lusso but that car is well beyond my means. They are absolutely beautiful.

I am really tempted to pull the drivetrain out of my 330 GT to detail the undercarraige. The amount of grease and grime under there is staggering, although it may have help preserve the car from rust over the years. Still, I can hardly stand it.
GS
1965 330 GT 2+2 Interim
S/N 6997