Front suspension washers/spacers

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

oldfart3

Post by oldfart3 »

I can finally resume reassembling my front suspension. The spacer/washers that adjust end play of the suspension uprights were worn enough that I would have had a loose front end, and there was no other source for replacements.

Following John Vardanian's advice, I ordered some thick walled bronze tubing from McMaster-Carr and a friend and I machined a new set of washers with his lathe and milling machine.

I've attached a photo of the bronze stock, some new washers in various thicknesses, and the old worn washers.

Another "small step for 4437"

John Tarr
330GT

Post by 330GT »

Beautiful.
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

You have found your calling, John!

john
PF Coupe
gsjohnson

Post by gsjohnson »

Now I know who to call when I get there.
GS
1965 330 GT 2+2 Interim
S/N 6997
JAV

Post by JAV »

John,

whats the non-concentric groove on the face of the new washers for... grease?
John Viveiros
1964 250 GTL
tyang

Post by tyang »

JAV wrote:John,

whats the non-concentric groove on the face of the new washers for... grease?
Yes, it's a passage for grease. The passages are often clogged with old grease, and should be cleaned out when you have the suspension apart.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

Very nice work! So how were those non-concentric grooves carved?
Tom Wilson - Series III 250 GTE, SN 4247 GT
Curator of the 250 GTE Register
http://www.250GTE.com
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

Post by Rudy van Daalen Wetters »

Now that is cool....

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 4001
1966 330 GT s/n 8705
Chris Coios

Post by Chris Coios »

John, Which type phosphor bronze alloy did you choose for this? McMaster has several selections and they list the characteristics for each. Did you buy solid rod or heavy tubing? Thanks, Chris
oldfart3

Post by oldfart3 »

I ordered the thick walled ultra machinable bronze tubing. It was 1 3/4 OD and 3/4 ID, which required relatively little turning down and boring out to match the diameters of the washers.

The notches on the inner bore allow grease to flow to the eccentric groove, which distributes it over the face of the washer. They were cut with a small drill bit chucked in a drill press and fed VERY slowly so they didn't wander.

After the turning and boring, it was relatively easy to slice the tube into washers of appropriate thickness with a parting tool. The eccentric groove was cut by mounting the washers on a drill press and cutting them with a holesaw with the teeth ground to a round profile. I had planned to cut them with a milling machine, but the holesaw worked just fine without having to grind an expensive milling bit to the size of the grooves.

Since this required using somebody else's tools, I'm now attempting to resist "having" to get a Smithy lathe/milling machine so I can "save" money that I might otherwise spend on machinists if friends are unavailable.

John Tarr
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Impressive work, John T.
PF Coupe
JAV

Post by JAV »

John T,

Another way to cut that eccentric groove fairly easily is with a 4 jaw chuck on a lathe. Many lathes came with these chucks but they rarely get used since the advent of CNC machines. I know mine has one and it hasn't been used it about 2 decades but, it would be perfect for this.
John Viveiros
1964 250 GTL