Filling with Gas

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

gsjohnson

Filling with Gas

Post by gsjohnson »

Anyone have trouble filling their 330s with fuel when utilizing the unleaded style nozzles at gas stations? My car acts as though it is full and keeps shutting off. If I turn the nozzle around a 180 degrees from its' natural fill position on the passenger side, partially lift up the rubber boot and slow the fuel flow way down, it will start to fill the tank. It is such a tedious and precise process that my arms get tired and the nozzle clicks off from my failure to hold the precise position. I finally give up and end up with about 3/4 of the tank filled. Is there something wrong here or is it just the nature of the beast with these modern unleaded nozzles? I have a couple of other early 60s collector cars and I do have to fudge around a bit to fill them as well. But nothing like the hassles I have to go thru to fill my 330.
GS
1965 330 GT 2+2 Interim
S/N 6997
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi GS,

First thing I would check would be the breather tube, but I've seen Yale fill is four headlight the same way you described. Unscrew the access door in the trunk to take a look at where the filler neck goes. There should be a tube that runs parallel with the filler neck. A clogged breather pipe could cause back pressure that would shut off the pump.

Filling my tank requires me to point the nozzle in the direction of the filler pipe into the tank. If the angle isn't right, the splashing will cause the pump to shut off.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Yale

Post by Yale »

But I am able to fully fill up the tank, (and can smell it sloshing out on a hard left hander), and also able to have the nozzle at full pressure. However I do have to stand there holding it for the full 22 gallons or so. And it did take a few tries to get the angle right.

Best,

Yale
Ex - 1964 330GT #6097
1963 Abarth Monomille
1970 Porsche 911S
1974 BMW 2002turbo
330GT

Post by 330GT »

Keep fiddling with the angle. I tilt the filler about 45 degrees to the rear from directly side to side. I also put a rag around the filler area so when it spits up, the paint doesn't get gas on it.

A long fill time just gives you more time to answer questions about the car.
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
gsjohnson

Post by gsjohnson »

330GT wrote:Keep fiddling with the angle. I tilt the filler about 45 degrees to the rear from directly side to side. I also put a rag around the filler area so when it spits up, the paint doesn't get gas on it.

A long fill time just gives you more time to answer questions about the car.
Well it's far from an in and out pit stop. I could grow plants in the time it takes to fill her up.
GS
1965 330 GT 2+2 Interim
S/N 6997
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

I am not able to fill up my PF coupe without a hose. The hose is about two feet long. It is big enough for the nozzle to enter it yet small enough to go into the tank's filler neck.

john
PF Coupe
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

Post by Rudy van Daalen Wetters »

I never totally fill up the tank. Little over 3/4 and that's it.

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 4001
1966 330 GT s/n 8705
330GT

Post by 330GT »

gsjohnson wrote: Well it's far from an in and out pit stop. I could grow plants in the time it takes to fill her up.
I fill up the F cars early in the morning at Costco before there is a line of unhappy people behind me.
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
Keith Milne

Post by Keith Milne »

I have the same problem pumping gas and I don't like to completely fill the tank either. To make matters worse, the fuel gauge only gives an approximate fuel level at best. I ran out of gas four times while sorting the car during its restoration and my wife threatened to stop rescuing me. It went through ten gallons of gas so fast I started looking for leaks.
Deane

Post by Deane »

My old 330GTS managed a solid 12mpg on its way down to Monterey and back a few years ago. Had a great time watching the sun rise over the mountains, while sending a tankful of hydrocarbons on to their greater reward.

The tank filled OK though without hiccups or splashes.
Deane
'67 330GTS (gone but not forgotten)
klv

Post by klv »

Our 365GT has always been very slow to fill up - I always though that it was due to the fact that they basically have two tanks with a crossover pipe and don't appear to have any proper venting for the tank on the opposite the side of the car to the filler neck. If anyone has any suggestions on that point it would be handy to know. Forecourts in Australia usually reasonably warm and good weather, but in the UK it might be a different matter...

Andrew
Kelly La Velle & Andrew Stevens