Where to find a 308 or 328 GTS in need of restoration?

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

toms850R

Where to find a 308 or 328 GTS in need of restoration?

Post by toms850R »

It seems that all of the 308s or 328s that I find for sale have low miles and are in pristine condition b/c they've been kept in garages and driven rarely. That's great, but it keeps the price high on these vehicles. Anyone know where I can get a 308 or 328 GTS in need of restoration? I'm looking for a project car. Also, what's the best source for inexpensive OEM parts? Thanks.

Tom
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Ton,

Although we're more into the older V-12 Ferraris, I'll give this question a shot!

Project 308s are out there, and I've gotten e-mail from a number of them. They're not as old as the car I'm restoring, but they're getting up there in years, so that's good news for you. The bad news is they may not be as cheap as you think. The engines, transaxles, and suspension pieces are all worth a certain amount as spare parts, so selling a "project car" as a whole will only go so low before it becomes more profitable to sell as parts.

Also remember that these cars are worth $35-50K driving down the road, so if you find a project for $15K, you'll be hard pressed to get it back on the road for less than buying one that's done.

In the NY area, a guy by the name Pete Sweeney comes to mind for often selling cheap Ferraris. I've never met him, nor am I endorsing him, but I've heard about several rough 308s being sold by him in the past. He seems to find them. It may be worth looking him up. Hopefully someone out there has his number. He also has a website. Anyone?

What part of the country are you located? Finding the local Ferrari shop (not the dealer) may get you leads on old 308s.

http://www.ferrarichat.com is the place to go for "newer" Ferraris. They have a group of very knowledgeable V-8 owners, and can help steer you in the right direction.

Good luck!

Tom Yang
JAshburne

Post by JAshburne »

Peter Sweeney owns Forza Motors in Gaylordsville, CT (right on RT 7 behind the George Washington Plaza on the way up to Lime Rock). I've met him once at Lime Rock and chatted with him but don't know him well. I think that he represents his cars honestly from the few that I've seen in person.

He currently lists a 1979 308 GTB white/black needing some "TLC" (bubbling paint) for $19.500.

http://www.forza.weblobby.com/
JimB

Post by JimB »

I agree with Tom. It will be much cheaper in the long run to spend the money up front and get a good one rather than a fixer upper. You can very quickly find yourself upside down in a restoration.
Been there done it.

JimB