Possible Resto

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

tyang

Post by tyang »

Hey, Sheehan has a Series II GTE for sale at $109.5K! It's a driver, but probably a much better investment in money in the long run.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
T308

Post by T308 »

CRDNLPLT wrote:There are a couple other interesting planters there that I will try and get a couple pics of. Not sure what they are but I'm sure you guys can figure it out.
Try and get a serial number on the GTE if you can.

Thanks.
1962 250 GT/E 3921, 1978 308 GTS 26845
Michael Bayer

Post by Michael Bayer »

Let me play the optimist: The money pit for a 4HL car, after the motor, is getting them all back right, a 4HL car in this state is not going to be worth doing this for 50 years, until then it still is a terrific car to blast around in if you could get it going. So Tom Shaughnessy might be 1/2 right, its worth to nothing, but don't necessarily run. The 330 motor is really bomb proof for about 60,000 miles, if the motor can be made to run, not perfect compression mind you, but just run, and the cars trans and diff are more bomb proof (the synchros suck but every one of us double clutches when cold, if not more), patina matters more and more each day so a little polish and leather balm who knows, you might get back it on the road, have a ball with it, learn the marque, then when it really gives up the ghost ship it to Tom Shaughnessy so the rest of us can call him when we need something out of it and he will say he is too busy to sell us that dear bit. So find out what state it was in when parked, let us know what you see before you do anything and if there is life in the old girl negotiate from Tom's sage advice. One thing is sure there is no better group of coaches to have at your side for each stage of this than this great bunch of wrench turners!
Michael J. Bayer
330GT s/n 9727
365GTC4 s/n 14943
Dino Spider s/n 1193
tyang

Post by tyang »

T308 wrote:
CRDNLPLT wrote:There are a couple other interesting planters there that I will try and get a couple pics of. Not sure what they are but I'm sure you guys can figure it out.

Thanks.
'63 330 America #5053
gsjohnson

Post by gsjohnson »

Michael Bayer wrote:Let me play the optimist: The money pit for a 4HL car, after the motor, is getting them all back right, a 4HL car in this state is not going to be worth doing this for 50 years, until then it still is a terrific car to blast around in if you could get it going. So Tom Shaughnessy might be 1/2 right, its worth to nothing, but don't necessarily run. The 330 motor is really bomb proof for about 60,000 miles, if the motor can be made to run, not perfect compression mind you, but just run, and the cars trans and diff are more bomb proof (the synchros suck but every one of us double clutches when cold, if not more), patina matters more and more each day so a little polish and leather balm who knows, you might get back it on the road, have a ball with it, learn the marque, then when it really gives up the ghost ship it to Tom Shaughnessy so the rest of us can call him when we need something out of it and he will say he is too busy to sell us that dear bit. So find out what state it was in when parked, let us know what you see before you do anything and if there is life in the old girl negotiate from Tom's sage advice. One thing is sure there is no better group of coaches to have at your side for each stage of this than this great bunch of wrench turners!
That's optomistic?
It makes want to go outside and throw rocks at my 4HL car.
GS
1965 330 GT 2+2 Interim
S/N 6997
Yale

Post by Yale »

gsjohnson wrote:
Michael Bayer wrote:Let me play the optimist: The money pit for a 4HL car, after the motor, is getting them all back right, a 4HL car in this state is not going to be worth doing this for 50 years, until then it still is a terrific car to blast around in if you could get it going. So Tom Shaughnessy might be 1/2 right, its worth to nothing, but don't necessarily run. The 330 motor is really bomb proof for about 60,000 miles, if the motor can be made to run, not perfect compression mind you, but just run, and the cars trans and diff are more bomb proof (the synchros suck but every one of us double clutches when cold, if not more), patina matters more and more each day so a little polish and leather balm who knows, you might get back it on the road, have a ball with it, learn the marque, then when it really gives up the ghost ship it to Tom Shaughnessy so the rest of us can call him when we need something out of it and he will say he is too busy to sell us that dear bit. So find out what state it was in when parked, let us know what you see before you do anything and if there is life in the old girl negotiate from Tom's sage advice. One thing is sure there is no better group of coaches to have at your side for each stage of this than this great bunch of wrench turners!
That's optomistic?
It makes want to go outside and throw rocks at my 4HL car.

No Gus,

You gonna want to throw rocks at it when it breaks but you'll hug it when it runs. And you 50 years is silly. Tom will have chopped up almost all the four headlights long before then and you and me will have the only two left.

Best,

Yale
Ex - 1964 330GT #6097
1963 Abarth Monomille
1970 Porsche 911S
1974 BMW 2002turbo
T308

Post by T308 »

tyang wrote:
T308 wrote:

Thanks.
Are you sure? 4027 is complete and for sale right now with Sheehan.

http://www.ferraris-online.com/pages/ca ... 50GTE-4027

Sheehan's car has what appears to be a restamped motor, did you see the chassis number or a number on the motor?

Thanks.
T308

Post by T308 »

Tom, as I read above, we're likely talking at cross purposes. I was asking for the s/n on the GTE in the field next to the 330, not at Sheehan's.

Thanks.
CRDNLPLT

Post by CRDNLPLT »

If it does turn out to be a 4HL, which it sounds like it is, I'm probably not interested. For some reason, and this is just my opinion, those cars just don't do it for me.

I'll try and get some serial numbers if the owner is interested in giving them out on the 330 and the planters.
Michael Bayer

Post by Michael Bayer »

Yale: I was not trashing a 4HL 330, they are terrific cars, its only my calculation that a full up restoration on one with rust etc is underwater for decades at yesterday's prices. I figure after buying the car another 200K is required , if you have one together and running that is a differnt story. M
Michael J. Bayer
330GT s/n 9727
365GTC4 s/n 14943
Dino Spider s/n 1193
Yale

Post by Yale »

Michael Bayer wrote:Yale: I was not trashing a 4HL 330, they are terrific cars, its only my calculation that a full up restoration on one with rust etc is underwater for decades at yesterday's prices. I figure after buying the car another 200K is required , if you have one together and running that is a differnt story. M
I didn't think you were trashing them Michael, I was just expressing to Gus that he is going to have lots of opportunities to want to throw rocks at his car and the balance of payments part is only one element. I know of what I speak...as you all know. Best, Yale
Ex - 1964 330GT #6097
1963 Abarth Monomille
1970 Porsche 911S
1974 BMW 2002turbo
gsjohnson

Post by gsjohnson »

Yale wrote:
Michael Bayer wrote:Yale: I was not trashing a 4HL 330, they are terrific cars, its only my calculation that a full up restoration on one with rust etc is underwater for decades at yesterday's prices. I figure after buying the car another 200K is required , if you have one together and running that is a differnt story. M
I didn't think you were trashing them Michael, I was just expressing to Gus that he is going to have lots of opportunities to want to throw rocks at his car and the balance of payments part is only one element. I know of what I speak...as you all know. Best, Yale
Gus? No me. Not sure where that came from. lol
GS
1965 330 GT 2+2 Interim
S/N 6997
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

Post by Rudy van Daalen Wetters »

Ok, so far not Gregg nor Gus...process of elimination, give it some time.

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 4001
1966 330 GT s/n 8705
donv

Post by donv »

Any other thoughts on 4027? I don't know if I can justify another car right now, but I really like the idea of a 250GTE driver.

Probably have to wait until the price drops, at least-- if it does.
T308 wrote:
tyang wrote:
T308 wrote:

Thanks.
Are you sure? 4027 is complete and for sale right now with Sheehan.

http://www.ferraris-online.com/pages/ca ... 50GTE-4027

Sheehan's car has what appears to be a restamped motor, did you see the chassis number or a number on the motor?

Thanks.
1969 365GT 2+2
T308

Post by T308 »

donv wrote:Any other thoughts on 4027? I don't know if I can justify another car right now, but I really like the idea of a 250GTE driver.

Probably have to wait until the price drops, at least-- if it does.
Keep your powder dry. Prices area coming down and you'll be able to get a no questions car at this number very soon.