Herringbone Pattern Door Scuff Plate Reproductions

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

TOMKIZER

Herringbone Pattern Door Scuff Plate Reproductions

Post by TOMKIZER »

I found a company who makes decorative sheet metal for bars, hotel lobbies, etc. I discussed the 365 GT 2+2 door scuff plates and sent them the following photos.

They've given me a quote to make stainless steel sheets with the pattern etched into them. They said that their patterns would have better definition than the photos I sent. Each sheet would be big enough for 6 scuff plates (enough for 3 cars) but I find them too expensive for me, at least in my current frame of mind. Their quote is about $2,700 per sheet (6 scuff plates).

I don't know if some of the more valuable cars used the same herringbone pattern. If yes, maybe their restored value could justify the price of the scuff plates.

Here is the web site of the company, showing their capabilities and some examples of their work. Some of you owners of really valuable cars might want to check them out. They claim to be able to design and etch any pattern in aluminum or stainless.

http://www.novelamerica.com/

Here are the photos I sent to them for quote.

Tom Kizer

So many sidewalk cafés - so little time left.
1969 365 GT 2+2 S/N 12293 (Gone but not forgotten)
1967 230 SL 4-spd (Currently on CPR)
mark

scuff plates

Post by mark »

Hi Tom:

I have a cad drawing of the plates and I have made a few sets, but not with the correct pattern of metal. You probably know that the original material is aluminum.

I will be happy to help with the fabrication process if suitable stock becomes available.

By the way, would you happen to know of a source for the under radiator
shield that is made from fiberglass? My car is missing that item.

Cheers

Mark
69 365 gt 2+2, 12659
98 M3, 02 Porsche 996
98 550 Maranello
TOMKIZER

Post by TOMKIZER »

Hi Mark,

I know that the original material is anodized aluminum. They can make it from aluminum or stainless. If it's made from aluminum, it will have to be anodized to make it durable and keep its luster. Stainless will be more durable and keep its luster without treatment. I find it too expensive for a 365 GT 2+2's current value, unless the original kick plates are really, really bad or missing. I don't plan to procure any. I also have the designs from an old thread on this site, I think.

I bought a spare repro fiberglass under-radiator shield from Bill Bowdish. Apparently Bill, or Bill and Bryan Phillips had made some "Bavetta Sotto Musone" reproductions. I think, after I bought mine, they made some more. Mine was beautiful. And if you need them, I have some photos of my installation, showing how I isolated it from the lower sheet metal. The curvatures were lightly different.

Tom Kizer
So many sidewalk cafés - so little time left.
1969 365 GT 2+2 S/N 12293 (Gone but not forgotten)
1967 230 SL 4-spd (Currently on CPR)
mark

scuf plates

Post by mark »

Hi Tom:

Yes, I would like to see the photos of the "Bavetta Sotto Musone". If you have dimensions that would be even better. mark@marktraversarchitect.com

I guess we wait on the scuff panels, too much money at this point.

Cheers

Mark
69 365 gt 2+2, 12659
98 M3, 02 Porsche 996
98 550 Maranello