Brake line flares

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

oldfart3

Brake line flares

Post by oldfart3 »

My Lusso's left front brake line is almost worn through in a couple of spots, and all the premade brake lines and flaring tools available out here in the boonies have a concave flare rather than the convex "bubble" flares on the original brake lines and fittings.

Can anybody give me any leads on either a flaring tool or a source of premade lines with the proper flares?

John Tarr
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi John,

Snap on makes a double bubble flare tool, but it isn't cheap. Do you know any British restoration shops in your area? They might be able to make the correct flare. Be careful, some lines have double flares on one end, and double bubble flares on the other end.

If you're really in a bind, I can put the flares on for you if you can send me the lines bent to shape.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
gsjohnson

Post by gsjohnson »

Tom's correct. I bought my double flare tool from Snap-on over 30 years ago when I was racing Fiat 124 Coupes and had to fab brake lines. I still have that tool today.
GS
1965 330 GT 2+2 Interim
S/N 6997
racertodd

Post by racertodd »

I have an OTC #4504 ISO Metric Bubble Flaring Tool Kit. Sears.com carries it, a Google search will probably find other online sources. OTC #6504 is the same kit with a tubing cutter included.

The tool works fine, but you have to tighten the nut that holds the tool onto the line very tight or it will slip as you make the flare. Make a couple of practice flares on a scrap piece of line before you do it for real.

I have since obtained a genuine factory VW dealer flaring kit which is much better.

Since ISO metric bubble flares were used on VWs (and probably other European cars), have you tried calling some local independent foreign car repair shops? They are likely to have a flaring kit to do repairs on brake lines.

Todd,
Seattle, WA
Chris Coios

Post by Chris Coios »

May I suggest one of the best flaring tool systems compared to the typical automotive type sold (which usually have poor alignment control)? Look into the flaring tools by Sykes-Pickavant Ltd. The '270 Series' double lap flaring tool will make both single and double flares. It is a machined die system with a punch turret operated with a cam lever (not the screw type cone of the lesser flare kits). The punch turret rotates to select the size/type of punch. The dies are accurate and the tool is simple and consistent to use. Kit no 027000 dies for a range of English size tubing + 4.75 mm tubing. Kit 027002 is a metric kit, but Ferrari brakes of the 1960's are British Dunlop so I think the 027000. I think you can amend the kits with additional sizes. Not inexpensive, but look into it; you will save the equivalent in frustration and headache medicine trying to make good flares. Sykes-Pickavant is a British company, probably with a distributor in the USA (some years back it was a tool supplier in upstate NY). I do not know if the kit numbers are still current.
josh

Post by josh »

The other option i'll throw out there is that you can send lines off to a company like Classic Tube and have them bend and flare them for you. I ended up having a complete set made for my fiat project in stainless.. And since my car uses a mix of metric and sae threads, bubble and double flares.. it was easier by far.

Of course I haven't assembled the car yet, so I can't say for sure that it'll work out :)

--Josh
--

1966 Fiat 1500 Cabriolet
1967 Fiat Dino Spider
http://www.hitchhiker.org/fiat/
oldfart3

Brake line flares

Post by oldfart3 »

Thanks everybody for all your ideas. I'm not sure which I'll do yet, but one of them should get my brakes connected.

John T
Dr. Ian Levy

Brake line flares

Post by Dr. Ian Levy »

Hello John
If you decide to make your own pipes I can recommend Sykes Pickavant brake tools to produce the required flares. I made a complete set of pipes for my GTC4 with no problems usinfg these tools.
It is not a cheap item but we are talking about your brakes on your pride & joy so I think it will be money well spent, You can also buy individual flare tools if what you require is not in the kit, Also the tool needs to be bench mounted & I think it produces a better flare than the hand held tools.
Regards
Ian L
Manchester
UK
1972 365 GTC4 s/n 15989
http://www.ferrari365gtc4.co.uk/
Keith Milne

Post by Keith Milne »

Per Josh's reply I have used Classic Tube (http://www.classictube.com/) several times in the past. In fact, they had my rear tubes in stock! I think I had one hiccup where they sent me a wrong part once, but it was quickly resolved.
JAV

Post by JAV »

John,

this is a chinese knock off of a decent flaring tool but to be honest, I have not used this particular one. They also have the forming pliers for short money.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=99642
John Viveiros
1964 250 GTL
tyang

Post by tyang »

JAV wrote:John,

this is a chinese knock off of a decent flaring tool but to be honest, I have not used this particular one. They also have the forming pliers for short money.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=99642
Hi John,

This tool only makes normal double flares. The British component of the brake system on Ferraris have "bubble flares," which are very different from the double flare. They are not interchangeable.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
JAV

Post by JAV »

thanks- I didn't catch the distinction.
John Viveiros
1964 250 GTL