Post by fest »

this looks pretty nice

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... egory=6212

interior re-done or original?
(looks re-done to me)

I suspect major engine trouble
'wont crank' - seized?

why (or how) would insurance cover that tho
unless PO sold on salvage titile to cover ASSets?

looks like THIS is worth saving
JAshburne

Post by JAshburne »

Fest

I don't agree with your assessment about saving this car, unfortunately.

Interior definitely redone, and very poorly at that. Look at the wrinkles and folds on seats and the very poor color match with door panels.

As far as I know, a salvage title is not issued for a mechanical repair problem, that is not for anything other than crash damage or a flood car. There must be some major hidden trauma in this car's history. Contrary to the seller's statement, erasing the salvage title status isn't "easily done", at least not ethically.

Exterior cosmetics are awful-notice bent front grills, wavy bumper, missing badges from rear.

Engine "unable to crank" tells it all. A rebuild is $20K or more, depending on the condition of the internals. Or you can buy a used 412 engine for $17.5K in FML and pay ?????? to have it installed.

Buy the car for $9,600 (reserve not yet met!!!!), rebuild the engine for $20K optimistically and you already are into the car for $30K without blinking an eye.

This is before addressing any cosmetic issues, not to mention all of the other expensive parts, such as rear suspension, digiplex ignition and on and on that could or are likely to need attention.

After all of that, you still would have a salvage title.

With good 400i automatics going for $18-24K these days, this car's destiny is as a parts car.

John
fest

salvage title

Post by fest »

i have to agree there
a salvage title is not a good thing

kills it for me
that's for sure