Exhaust Headers

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Bernard Fahimian

Exhaust Headers

Post by Bernard Fahimian »

Hello everyone, hope this is not a repeat questionbut i have decided to refinish the headers on my 69 365GT 2+2. So what is the most durable and original looking finish i can get? Should i take them out for sand blasting first? There is no rust on them;they look original with a slight gray powder looking finish on them now. Thanks..Bernard
JimB

Post by JimB »

Hi,
I used a company called HPC in Salt Lake City. They coated them in a satin black hi temp material and coated the inside as well. The inside coating reduces outside temps by many degrees and also keeps further interior erosion from occurring. They are VERY durable and look terrific.
They did all the prep work. I paid about $350.00 for all 4 headers.
Their number is 1 800 456-4721

Jim B.
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Bernard,

I sent mine to "Jet-Hot" for thir "High Performance Ceramic" coating. The same stuff Jim used. The black satin finish looked great, and I didn't do any surface prep on my headers.

http://www.tomyang.net/cars/ferrari67.htm
http://www.tomyang.net/cars/ferrari72.htm

Good luck!

Tom
Bernard Fahimian

Exhaust Headers

Post by Bernard Fahimian »

Thanks guys. Eastwood Co. has a satin black hi temp coating. Am i to assume that it is not as good as teflon coatings mentioned? Bernard
JimB

Post by JimB »

Hi Bernard,

Correct, this is not the same thing at all. What you are refering to is hi -temp paint. HPC is more like hi temp powder coating. Spend the extra bucks and really do the job right. After 2 years of use my headers look just like the day I installed them. My car is not a trailer a trailer queen.
I do recommend you get the insides coated as well, this will increase the life of those irreplaceable headers.

Jim B.
cak

Post by cak »

I haven't had to do the headers on our 330 (yet), but I will vouch for Jet-Hot - I've had several other cars, including race cars, done and have nothing but good to say. When 9161's exhaust system comes off, they headers will go to Jet-Hot! They have a (small) choice of colors - black, grey, matte chrome, at least.