My introduction & a request for help in looking for a 33

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Matt F

My introduction & a request for help in looking for a 33

Post by Matt F »

Hello, everyone.

Tom seems to be a very admirable fellow. Not only has he tackled an ambitious restoration, he's actually made a lot of progress. And not only has he made progress, he's shared it with the world through his website. Thanks, Tom.

My name's Matt Ferrari and I'm starting to seriously look for a Series 2 330 GT 2+2. (Family legend has it that we're related to Enzo, but I haven't seen the genealogical proof yet. :) )

I'm 32 and work in a family business. My father has had a 1981 308 GTSi for fifteen or sixteen years. I absolutely love driving that car, but recently I've been really wanting a carbureted, 12 cylinder Ferrari.

I have the wonderful book that's now in reprint, Ferrari Tuning Tips and Maintenance Techniques. It really helps to demystify the tuning of a Ferrari engine. It's a very different world from the people who religiously get their cambelts changed every 5,000 miles, even though the factory manual clearly recommends replacing them every 30,000. So they replace them six times as often as necessary, at about $5,000 a time!

I've been keeping my eye out for a nice 330 for a couple months now. I keep track of the ones that pass by eBay, as well as the ones in the Ferrari Market letter.

I'm looking for a Series 2, 5 speed, preferably with Borranis and air conditioning. Should I be looking for power steering? (I certainly don't miss it in the 308.) I like the popular silver color, which is a good thing.

I would appreciate any tips on searching for and purchasing your first 12 cylinder Ferrari. Also, if anyone lives decently close to Pittsburgh, PA and has a car they'd like to show off, I would really appreciate seeing it!

Thanks guys,

Matt
fuiszt

Post by fuiszt »

Good luck in your hunt Matt...there are some out there, but not many. My series 1 has neither PS or AC (or power windows) but I thought the less 40 yr old accessories there were the better. Does anybody have one of these cars that actually has cold AC?
I would recommend looking for one thats done serious miles in the last few years. My car, though cosmetically pretty, had suffered from lack of use. The cars that have just done some 1000 mile trip without a hiccup tend to be expensive.
The symbolic black 330 on ebay is about as nice as they come-I'm curious to see what it bids to.
You're welcome to a ride if you're in DC sometime.
Tony Fuisz
william

Post by william »

Hello, Matt I am also looking for a nice 330 gt 2+2. I am 32 years old as well and about to finish a 6 year restoration on my Avanti. I live in Indiana and will attend the auburn car auction. I think a 330 America is to be auctioned on Sunday.

There is a sliver 330 on ebay at the current time. I spoke with the owner and recieved pic's the 1st time he listed it on ebay about 3 weeks ago. Front end damage and some other problems. This may still be a good car and it has my interest because of price, however as always beware. I would have the car looked at before buying. The car sold once before on ebay and the high bidder did not follow through ?

I hope to also own one of these cool cars in the next year. Good luck in your search.

William.
mcmichael

Post by mcmichael »

Mr Ferrari-

Great name! Anyway, I have a 67 330 GTC, and no, the air conditioning does not work. But it will! I rode in a similar car a few weeks ago that had working AC, and several people at the Concorso with GTC's told me that their AC worked. The components are pretty garden variety for the vintage. Just one of the projects that I need to tackle.

My car does not have power steering--never offered for a GTC. I don't know if 2+2's ever had power steering offered, but I personally would not want it due to maintenance hassles...

Good luck,

Michael Mcclure
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Michael,

I missed seeing you with the car at Concorso! We'll try again next year!

Tom
Matt F

Post by Matt F »

Thanks for the warm welcome, guys.

Tony-- That's good advice about looking for a car that's done recent milage. I also may take you up on the offer to give me a ride. Thank you.

William-- You're lucky to be near the Auburn auction. Is the silver car the one in Long Island or the one in Colorado? If you want to e-mail me, we could share some experiences and insights.

Michael-- Thanks for the compliment on my name. (Too bad it doesn't get me a factory discount!) You've got a great point about power steering: if I don't really want it, why get one more thing to maintain?

Thanks again.

--Matt
andy

Post by andy »

Hey Matt,

The damaged car is the one in Colorado. You should definitely check out the one on Long Island (s/n 10165) also. That guy has been relisting the car regularly and lowering the price every time, which tells me he's very motivated to sell. It appears (from the pictures) to be a nice driver; I think someone on this board talked to the owner so maybe that person can provide you with some additional insight.

Also don't forget to check out the 330 GT registry at:

http://www.parrotbyte.com/330GTRegistry/

It's an invaluable resource.

Andy
mike66

Post by mike66 »

Hi Matt

My very original and low-mile (40.000 miles) 330 in silver with working AC, Borranis etc. is for sale, but unfortunately the car is in Switzerland :-). Take a look if you want on www.autoscout.ch, it's the silver one for 89.500 Swiss Franks (about $ 70'000.-). I got it from a collection in Geneva and it's in outstanding condition. But I guess buying one in Switzerland and sending it to the US is too expensive/complicated. Anyway, I can easily send you some pictures for your general information. Good luck hunting!

Regards, Mike
Matt F

Post by Matt F »

Andy-- Thanks for the information. Do you know exactly what the damage to the car consisted of?

Mike-- I appreciate the offer. Travelling to Sitzerland to purchase a Ferrari sound like a dream come true. But you're exactly right: it would be too expensive and complicated. But I would definitely appreciate any pictures you'd like to share.

If anyone else would like to send me an e-mail, my address is marketATgammasports.com. Just replace the AT with the @ symbol. (I'm a little paranoid about spam from posting my e-mail on a public forum.)

Thanks.
Matt F

Post by Matt F »

Oops... I meant "Switzerland".
cak

Post by cak »

Our '67 330 has cold a/c, when I charge it - there's a leak somewhere around the compressor, and with the price of Freon these days, I'm not going to recharge it until I really need it ... or find and fix the leak.

Our car has PS, and I think it's a nice addition - the 330 is a heavy car, and it's meant as a cruiser - so less effort for long drives is a definite plus!

You can see what I went through to find the car over at www.dimebank.com/Sal.html ; my advice, in short, is buy the best car you can afford (i.e., let someone else pay for the restoration!)
william

1967 330GT ebay

Post by william »

I spoke to the owner of the Co. Car a few weeks ago ( 1st time he listed it on ebay) sent photo's some front bumper damage. I still have the pic's and can send them to anyone interested. also he said there was something wrong with the radiator or overflow bottle? I can't recall. the cars vin number is 7575 and engine #209 does this make sense to anyone? Any idea if this would be the correct numbers for a 1967? I checked the 330 registry and there seemed to be a problem with that number for a 67 car not real sure maybe I typed in the wrong vin , however I did it several times? Does any one know anything about the Long Island Car?

William.
Jim

Post by Jim »

The Vin # is too low for a '67. For example, my 330 GTS is 10567. Also, the number for the engine is the model # (That is, it is a type 209 V12 engine). Once again, for a '67 car, the engine will have a 5 digit serial #, and if the engine is original to the car, will have the same serial # as the frame of the car. Please note that engines also have an Internal Number, which is different from the serial #. On the engine, the serial number is stamped on the metal, while the internal number appears casted (that is, the numbers are raised).
andy

Post by andy »

In addition to the fact that 7575 is too low to be a '67, the car was advertised as a '65 in the Ferrari Market Letter in June. Here's the ad:

330 GT 2+2 SERIES II, S/N 7575 (1965). Silver with black interior. Books & tools. Two headlight 330 GT 2+2 with minor front headlight & fender damage. Recent inspection by authorized Ferrari dealer. 50,000 miles. $34,900. 5/03 (contact info removed)

Andy
330GT

Post by 330GT »

The serial number ranges that Gerald Roush (Ferrari Market Letter) uses for 330 GTs are:
1963 4359-5091
1964 5093-5973
1965 5975-7581
1966 7583-9249
1967 9251-10831

Ferrari didn't really 'do' model years until the US required them in the early 70s for emission standards. My car (8755) is titled as a 1967 but was made and sold in mid 1966. When it was imported (~72), there wasn't much information on how to relate a serial number to a production year, so pretty much whatever the owner told the licensing authority was accepted. I have a PF coupe titled as a 1963 but was made in 1960. They had stopped production of the PF coupes in 1961! Once I have it running, I'll have to take it to the state police for an inspection of the VIN and have them agree that the title year is wrong in order to get it corrected. Hopefully the heritage certificate with the manufacture date will be sufficient.

BTW, I saw and took pictures of 7575 a couple of years ago when it was owned in Seattle. I learned that early single headlight cars still had the old style dash unless they had been ordered with A/C (which required different vents). I guess that Pininfarina had some old dashes left over and continued to use them until sometime between serial numbers 8245 and 8283.

Regards, Kerry